Options

BBC2 drama "Murder"

mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
Forum Member
✭✭
10 pm - 11 pm tonight
A young woman's body is found in a Nottingham flat, hours after she and her sister met a stranger in town. Police try to get to the bottom of the events leading up to her death, but two conflicting testimonies make it difficult to determine what happened - or who was responsible. Drama, directed by The Killing's Birger Larsen, starring Karla Crome and Joe Dempsie

Written by Robert Jones who did Party Animals, Pie in the Sky and most relevantly "The Cops" which was very good docu-drama style portrait of no-name town policing.

Comments

• Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,552
    Forum Member
    I shall be watching that after the Long Weekend.
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will be watching due to the Birger Larsen factor.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Will be watching due to the Birger Larsen factor.

Definitely! Like a moth to a light. :D
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Cheers knew he was doing something, due to BBC Frontrow, forgot when it was on, so needed the heads up.
    Edit: anyway of finding out if it's going to be on Iplayer?
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do I not like this?

I know, it’s only half-way through but the structure is getting on my nerves so I’ve bailed. The form is drawing too much attention to itself and I can’t concentrate on the story.
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just given up. I presume the programme will start soon (?) but the format doesn't do it for me. Like one long preamble.
  • Options
    ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gave up after 20 minutes.
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,437
    Forum Member
    Gave up after 30 minutes. :yawn:
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    10 pm - 11 pm tonight

Written by Robert Jones who did Party Animals, Pie in the Sky and most relevantly "The Cops" which was very good docu-drama style portrait of no-name town policing.

ended up not giving a damn. Incomprehensible. Waste of my time.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Thought I was going to be the only one - I lasted 20 minutes. As a one-off, I wondered why it was only an hour long and at 10pm on a Sunday, but now I know why!
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still watching, it's not that bad and the actors playing Stefan and Colleen are brilliant.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    I'm still watching, it's not that bad and the actors playing Stefan and Colleen are brilliant.

I'm still watching too - I like the format.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow.
    Unlike everyone else here, I thought that was absolutely excellent.
    Robert Pugh is never in anything bad - at least according to me, anyway - and the two main leads were fantastic. Never seen either of them in anything else but, blimey, there's a pair of actors for you.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well,, I thought it was excellent!

K
  • Options
    -Jade"-Jade" Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    Just happened to switch over to this as it was starting and I was hooked until the end. Loved the format personally, usually get bored with this kind of thing after about 20 minutes but the format kept it interesting for me.

Joe Dempsie and Karla Crome were brilliant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Gripping, intelligent and utterly superb. A rare treat.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was very good. The "commentary" style seems to have annoyed some but I thought as a technique to avoid the standard "Law and Order" procedural it was well realised (also meant it didn't take two hours or appear rushed if squeezed into 60 mins).
  • Options
    enfant_terribleenfant_terrible Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Well.

I stuck with this to the end. But it was not an easy journey and I nearly gave up several times. The first half was far too stylistic. It jarred my nerves to be honest. However, the denouement was pitched perfectly.

The acting was uniformly excellent. The writing was quality.

I'm glad I watched it in its entirety because I couldn't have given it an honest assessment otherwise.

I didn't like it. It was the 'piece to camera' narrative. Didn't work for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thumbs up from me. I really enjoyed it. I was quite shocked at the end though.
  • Options
    DenleyDenley Posts: 4,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed this. Will watch on iplayer though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Add me to the fans. I did think that it was all coming to an end after twenty minutes, but then the rest zipped by and had me completely gripped! I found myself strangely drawn and yet repulsed by the two leads, Karla Crome especially, who with both this and her excellent turn in Hit and Miss is making herself one I will be looking out for! Really hope this gets another showing, and it is the kind of programme I would have loved a series of. Well done to all involved for a quality piece of drama.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I'm downloading it, heard something about the format, suspect I'll like this if it's giving others the pip.
  • Options
    PaulraffPaulraff Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Really refreshing to see something with quite a novel format. I like many 'standard' crime dramas as well, but I enjoyed the way this one made you think and took you through the detection process, complete with twists and u-turns. It felt like you were a jury member trying to sort out the claims and counter-claims.

The way in which the truth was revealed at the end was very satisfying from an audience point of view. I find it frustrating when we're left with ifs and buts and maybes.

And the performances were excellent.

I would love to see more like this. Is it just a one-off?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paulraff wrote: »
    Really refreshing to see something with quite a novel format. I like many 'standard' crime dramas as well, but I enjoyed the way this one made you think and took you through the detection process, complete with twists and u-turns. It felt like you were a jury member trying to sort out the claims and counter-claims.

The way in which the truth was revealed at the end was very satisfying from an audience point of view. I find it frustrating when we're left with ifs and buts and maybes.

And the performances were excellent.

I would love to see more like this. Is it just a one-off?

BIB Yes, unfortunately I believe it is.
  • Options
    -Jade"-Jade" Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    Paulraff wrote: »

I thought that's how they were going to leave things at one point, when the mum said the thing about Stefan using the bottle to bash the door down. I was furious for those two seconds :p