Jerky Video in Windows Media Player

FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone tell me as how to solve a jerky video in Windows Media Player?

The jerkiness happens when there's 16 minutes left on the video that I'm watching.

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    use a different video player?

you've not really given enough information about the video or your computer. but WMP is relatively resource hungry compared to say VLC and especially mediaplayer classic.

VLC is the better player but mpc uses less resources, if that is the problem.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    use a different video player?

you've not really given enough information about the video or your computer. but WMP is relatively resource hungry compared to say VLC and especially mediaplayer classic.

VLC is the better player but mpc uses less resources, if that is the problem.

Yeah, after checking just now, it appears that Windows Media Player uses 3% less resources than VLC does. Never had any trouble with VLC though.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    +1 for VLC, it plays everything I throw at it. Using more resources is acceptable if it gets the work done, stays within reason with the resources and does not tax the system. Sometimes you have to use more to do something quicker/on time.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Yeah, after checking just now, it appears that Windows Media Player uses 3% less resources than VLC does. Never had any trouble with VLC though.

do you have the hardware acceleration turned on in vlc? for some reason most people seem not to.

back in the day i used to have an AMD athlon XP2100+ and could only play HD video in MPC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do you have the hardware acceleration turned on in vlc? for some reason most people seem not to.

back in the day i used to have an AMD athlon XP2100+ and could only play HD video in MPC.

Accelerated video output? Yes. It was on by default.
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's happening at one specific point in one video it's probably a fault in the file, in which case using a different media player is not likely to make any difference.
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, the info is as follows:

The video that I'm trying to watch is Revolution Series 2 Episode 14.

The Windows Media Player version is 12.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    OK, the info is as follows:

The video that I'm trying to watch is Revolution Series 2 Episode 14.

The Windows Media Player version is 12.

Try playing the video file in another player to see if the same thing happens again.
    Forum Member
    if it's just one file it is probably corrupt. download it again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if it's just one file it is probably corrupt. download it again.

Or it could have been corrupt before it was uploaded. I suppose there's no harm in downloading it again to check though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrupt before upload would be likely.

The delivery system of most of these files would check the integrity of each block received.

Also, another +1 for VLC. Haven't needed or used any codec packs since making it my go-to player.