Options

Dangerous Dogs 2 part Doc ITV 9pm 20/04/14

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some idiots near me who have a large dog and a small dog in a tiny house with no garden. We never see them take them out nor do other neighbours. Wouldn't be so bad if they went to work but they're both there all day watching TV and sprawling around.

That's no life for dogs is it? I've had dogs all my life and each and every one has had two long walks every day. Don't these thick people think that their dogs need exercise?
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    There are some idiots near me who have a large dog and a small dog in a tiny house with no garden. We never see them take them out nor do other neighbours. Wouldn't be so bad if they went to work but they're both there all day watching TV and sprawling around.

That's no life for dogs is it? I've had dogs all my life and each and every one has had two long walks every day. Don't these thick people think that their dogs need exercise?

Well, judging the girth of some of them, I don't think they realise they need exercise. Seriously though, some people really just don't consider exercise important, either for themselves or their dog. This is completely off-topic, but I was gobsmacked to discover recently that a morbidly obese patient I look after had no idea that exercise and diet had any bearing on health and weight. Despite being in the care system for years because of her weight. No idea at all of the health implications. Or how to improve her condition. Hard to believe, but she thought she was just unfortunate ('born fat') and only considered weight in terms of aesthetics. Some people just don't know. Anyway, sorry, completely off track there :blush: but since I heard that I'm even less surprised that there are people who don't consider exercise important for a pet. Not that I can hark, if I didn't have the dog I wouldn't walk the length of myself.

Out of curiosity do you know where the dogs do their business? :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, we didn't hear anything about what happened, just that it bit the owners hands.

Ah OK, thanks. Beautiful dog. Sad for owner and dog but if there's a risk it could happen again i suppose they just can't take any chances.
  • Options
    patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To look after a dog properly (adequate food, water,space, training, exercise, care and most of all love) you need to have a few brain cells. We're talking common sense here, not degrees, qualifications etc and a lot of the owners were sadly lacking. Anyone can have a dog. It doesn't mean they should. It's pretty obvious that if you are lacking the skills to look after yourself and your own home then a dog is not going to get the care it needs. The poor poor dogs
  • Options
    riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    These wardens are a bloody joke >:(
    5 visits? I would have taken those dogs of her the second time I went round 1 chance id give her and thats it!! That woman clearly cannot look after all those dogs. >:(

It is completely beyond my comprehension as to why the f**k those two wardens were "high fiving" each other on a job well done because they got the dogs out into the garden, and then promptly walked away and left them with that filthy woman who is not playing with the full deck, after 5 visits, and after she had already been charged with animal cruelty! :confused: Why the hell weren't those animals taken off her after the 2nd or 3rd visit? The law really is a joke!
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, judging the girth of some of them, I don't think they realise they need exercise. Seriously though, some people really just don't consider exercise important, either for themselves or their dog. This is completely off-topic, but I was gobsmacked to discover recently that a morbidly obese patient I look after had no idea that exercise and diet had any bearing on health and weight. Despite being in the care system for years because of her weight. No idea at all of the health implications. Or how to improve her condition. Hard to believe, but she thought she was just unfortunate ('born fat') and only considered weight in terms of aesthetics. Some people just don't know. Anyway, sorry, completely off track there :blush: but since I heard that I'm even less surprised that there are people who don't consider exercise important for a pet. Not that I can hark, if I didn't have the dog I wouldn't walk the length of myself.

Out of curiosity do you know where the dogs do their business? :blush:

The dogs do their business in a tiny strip in front of their front door. It is the width of the house which is probably 12 ft by 2 ft. There are piles of mess and they wait until there are so many that I guess the dogs tread it indoors and then they finally clear it up.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    This programme was meant to be about dogs that attack, well from what I understood by the write up. Yet last night is was all about useless owners and none attacked anyone. The Staffy that was put to sleep because the owner said it bit him I do not believe for one minute.

So not really sure what was meant to come across expect that Britain is as bad as other Countries at ill treating animals :(
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This programme was meant to be about dogs that attack, well from what I understood by the write up. Yet last night is was all about useless owners and none attacked anyone. The Staffy that was put to sleep because the owner said it bit him I do not believe for one minute.

So not really sure what was meant to come across expect that Britain is as bad as other Countries at ill treating animals :(

Though it was very tabloid in style, I thought the programme did a decent job of highlighting that the problem of 'dangerous' dogs is human one and the solutions need to address humans rather than spurious media stereotypes of what a dangerous dog is and how it becomes a danger.

For instance, the somewhat 'rotund' lady in Birmingham(?) who had the Staffy litter kept in the hamster cage, shitting all over the house, will just sell them down the pub at 5 weeks old for £50 each and won't give a toss who she sells to - and that's where the problems start. But under the law, the warden had no real powers to intervene.

However the guy who owned the pitbull, which appeared to be well cared for and of good temperament had his dog seized, by a big squad - which on the face of it doesn't make a lot of sense (it was returned in fairness, but how much money did that all cost that could have been better spent elsewhere?)

Its just a downward spiral, but the issue isn't actually with the dogs themselves, though there is a sizeable body of opinion out there ( many of whom are DS members :) ) who think it is totally down to 1 or 2 particular breeds - if only you could wipe those out, then the Brummie lady would, of course, not breed any dogs anymore - oh no :)

Its an area that really needs a lot more resources thrown at it, but when the problem of dangerous dogs is merely a symptom of a deeper social malaise, and in a era when the police and councils are slashing budgets on even the most fundamental services, its hard to see what the practical answers are.
  • Options
    Sirocco758Sirocco758 Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annoyed that they used a German Shepherd in the programme. They are NOT dangerous dogs. Infact mine is the softest dog we have ever had.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sirocco758 wrote: »
    Annoyed that they used a German Shepherd in the programme. They are NOT dangerous dogs. Infact mine is the softest dog we have ever had.

It was lovely :)

But that was the point, if the neglect had continued it may have become a danger, it WOULDN'T have been due to the dogs breed not in any way, but down to ownership.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Sirocco758 wrote: »

What the hell are you on about, who said that German Shepherd was dangerous?
    We're back to 'Dog people' as I said in an earlier post getting all emotional and going off on one.
    So were all the other breeds featured dangerous dogs/breeds then?

Maybe you've got a short memory, but some of us remember when the GSD, and Dobermann was the 'Devil/Dangerous Dog' of it's day.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

Well, you don't believe it, he must have done a good job fooling the Dog Warden and collection of coppers round his house that he'd been bitten on both hands, but you know better based on some emotional response IMO.
    Could have just taken it down the pound and handed it in as a stray he'd found or driven miles away and just abandoned it, came up with some elaborate tale involving the Police and a Dog warden instead, cost him £120 to have it killed too IIRC.

Then again you were worried about them sedating the Dog before killing it.
    Macavity has given a nice summary of what it about.
  • Options
    roverboy1965roverboy1965 Posts: 1,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Felt really sorry for the guy with the happy, well cared and very much loved alledged pitbull type that showed no signs of aggression when the "hit squad" turned up on masse and legally stole it off him (even my springer spaniel would have gone nuts that lot turning up and barging into her territory).

Was miffed though that it was fully vet-checked, neutered, and caged for five weeks at public expense (and no, the owner should not be made to pay as not his choice) as some busybody neighbour reported him.

Just wish the police were as keen when real crime is reported !!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    The dogs do their business in a tiny strip in front of their front door. It is the width of the house which is probably 12 ft by 2 ft. There are piles of mess and they wait until there are so many that I guess the dogs tread it indoors and then they finally clear it up.

Nice. I'm sure the postie absolutely loves delivering to that house.

I know we didn't get a lot of detail about that case but I don't see any reason to think the owner was lying to get rid of his dog. The warden said he'd pretty bad bites - plural - to both hands which suggests that this wasn't even a single, out of character 'snap'.

the programme's agenda seems to be to show up the feckless owners so if there had been a whiff of anything untoward we would have been shown. No, in this case I think it was just as the warden said: a sad case were the owner had had the dog for years but it turned (for reasons unknown) and he couldn't take the chance, particularly having kids in the house. He could have passed on or sold the dog with no history of what happened but the owner chose the more expensive option of contacting the wardens. I think he did the right thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was lovely :)

But that was the point, if the neglect had continued it may have become a danger, it WOULDN'T have been due to the dogs breed not in any way, but down to ownership.

Yep, I like the angle they took. I really think people need to hear about the root of the problem for a change rather than media stories about Divil Dogs. Agree with your other post that it does have a tabloid feel but all in all I like the narration.
  • Options
    nvellanvella Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leaving the dogs aside most of people in these programmes were barely human and certainly uncivilised - deeply depressing!