Why did the BBC start to try to hide the date that programmes were made?

124»

Comments

• Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sponsored by M&Ms??:kitty:
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye :D
  • Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just noticed something odd whilst following Doctor Who on the 'horror' channel.

I am assuming that horror are showing the old Dr Who episodes in chronological order and thought of this thread when I noticed something earlier this week.

After using Roman numerals for as many eisodes as I can remember, the year of production at the end of the episodes is now being shown as '1976'!

I wonder why Dr Who changed back to the old method? :confused:
    The copyright notice at the end of BBC programmes first appeared in 1972, with the year of production displayed in Arabic numerals, switching to Roman numerals in late 1976. Doctor Who was no exception to this. However there appears to have been a transitional period between the two, as demonstrated on BBC Four in 2011 when they were showing Top of the Pops episodes from the autumn of 1976, which switched between using Arabic and Roman numerals for a few weeks, before finally settling on Roman numerals.
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why though. BBC are meant to be informative and impartial. So why insult viewers by either hiding the production date or using an ancient language that nobody can understand. I mean why not go the whole hog and rename "Reporting Scotland" to "Reporting Caledonia"

The fact of the matter is if I was interested in when a program was made I would look it up online. They aren't increasing the commercial value of their output. So what gives?
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why though. BBC are meant to be informative and impartial. So why insult viewers by either hiding the production date or using an ancient language that nobody can understand. I mean why not go the whole hog and rename "Reporting Scotland" to "Reporting Caledonia"

The fact of the matter is if I was interested in when a program was made I would look it up online. They aren't increasing the commercial value of their output. So what gives?

Ssssh. Go back to bed.
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,939
    Forum Member

Ah but these dates were in use *gasp* before the interweb thingy ;)

And Roman numerals aren't "dead", they're still very much in use (look at a lot of watches of clocks...).
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In the 70's the BBC attracted a higher standard (educated) viewer and therefore reading Roman numerals was not an issue. Unfortunately the standards have dropped:)
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You been framed on ITV gets me with the date if video clips badly focused out.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    You been framed on ITV gets me with the date if video clips badly focused out.

lol those old home movie video clips that people left the time code on! I wonder if many people actually knew how to turn them off?

These days I suppose you will more likely see footage shot from a phone camera on YBF!
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why though. BBC are meant to be informative and impartial. So why insult viewers

Because it's what the BBC do best.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    Ah but these dates were in use *gasp* before the interweb thingy ;)

And Roman numerals aren't "dead", they're still very much in use (look at a lot of watches of clocks...).
    I submit to you that the world would not change, if there was ban on roman numerals, and once you set what is 12 and maybe, 3, 6 & 9 you dont need any other numbers on a clock.

I am not saying we go around defacing historic clocks, replacing their roman numerals with regular numbers, but they are more of an oddity than the norm.

I do seek to accuse the BBC (or any other TV channels) of hiding how old any repeat is, we really dont need roman numerals anymore. In the age of digital, romans would be shocked to see their numerals still in use today,
  • radiobloke2004radiobloke2004 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the extra info. and for confirming that I didn't imagine it :D

PMSL

PMSL? hang on, I think its the year... something 1000 something 50... ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PMSL? hang on, I think its the year... something 1000 something 50... ;-)

:D

In contrast, last nights showing of The New Statesman on ITV had 'Yorkshire Television Ltd 1987' at the end.

It was also nice to see the old Yorkshire Television chevron & branding too.

I wonder when/if ITV changed over? :confused:

I must think to look next time I watch a modern day ITV programme.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »

I do seek to accuse the BBC (or any other TV channels) of hiding how old any repeat is, we really dont need roman numerals anymore. In the age of digital, romans would be shocked to see their numerals still in use today,

Who is "we"?? Why do some people feel the need to speak on behalf of the entire population?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D

In contrast, last nights showing of The New Statesman on ITV had 'Yorkshire Television Ltd 1987' at the end.

It was also nice to see the old Yorkshire Television chevron & branding too.

I wonder when/if ITV changed over? :confused:

I must think to look next time I watch a modern day ITV programme.

Last nights Coronation Street said 'ITV Productions 2014', so it appears that in the present day ITV still show the date in a format that is easy to understand at a glance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Todays Dr Who has gone back to Jon Pertwee for some reason.

At the end of both parts 1 and 2, it simply said 'BBC TV'!

I wonder if these airings were taken from a video or DVD release? I'm making the assumption that they don't keep the year of production at the end of such releases, but I don't know for sure.

Could there be any reason why the date of production would be omitted at the end :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder if these airings were taken from a video or DVD release? I'm making the assumption that they don't keep the year of production at the end of such releases, but I don't know for sure.

Could there be any reason why the date of production would be omitted at the end :confused:

Just to add that the story in question was 'Terror Of The Autons'.
  • Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just to add that the story in question was 'Terror Of The Autons'.
    The BBC did not start adding the copyright notice and date of production to the end of programmes until 1972. 'Terror of the Autons' was produced in 1970 and shown at the start of 1971, hence the date does not appear at the end.

The first time the copyright date appears on Doctor Who is apparently episode 6 of 'The Mutants', transmitted 13th May 1972.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember that programmes made in the 1970's used to end with something like "copyright BBC 1976".

At some point, they tried to make it harder to work out at a glance (meaning most people wouldn't bother) by using roman numerals instead.

Why did they do this? (At the time some people said that they were doing it to try and hide the fact that old programmes or repeats were being shown.)

Did any other broadcaster start to do this as a result of the decision made by the BBC?

Thanks.

If they did show the date, then they weren't doing a very good job of trying to hide it! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC did not start adding the copyright notice and date of production to the end of programmes until 1972. 'Terror of the Autons' was produced in 1970 and shown at the start of 1971, hence the date does not appear at the end.

The first time the copyright date appears on Doctor Who is apparently episode 6 of 'The Mutants', transmitted 13th May 1972.

That explains it, thank you.

I'm assuming that they have now run out of episodes, but why jump back to the Jon Pertwee era? I assumed that they would go right back to the beggining again :confused:
  • jeffkey1jeffkey1 Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    I have the same theory as to why we don't have the Euro in the UK.

It stops people on Holiday from quickly working out how much more we pay for our fuel in the UK due to tax than in other parts of Europe.
  • 000Mark000000Mark000 Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    jeffkey1 wrote: »
    I have the same theory as to why we don't have the Euro in the UK.

It stops people on Holiday from quickly working out how much more we pay for our fuel in the UK due to tax than in other parts of Europe.

If only they confiscated their smart phones, tablets, laptops, and computers, blocked access to all the search engines, and switched off the internet, then there really would be a conspiracy.

Sorted by the price of UNLEADED
    COUNTRY		UNLEADED	DIESEL

Poland		€ 1.27		€ 1.27
    Czech Rep	€ 1.30		€ 1.31
    Luxembourg	€ 1.33		€ 1.12
    Switzerland	€ 1.33		€ 1.42
    Austria		€ 1.34		€ 1.25
    Hungary		€ 1.35		€ 1.37
    Latvia		€ 1.35		€ 1.37 [B][Highlight]*[/Highlight][/B]
    Spain		€ 1.39		€ 1.32
    Slovakia	€ 1.42		€ 1.34
    Belgium		€ 1.44		€ 1.27
    Slovenia	€ 1.45		€ 1.34
    Ireland		€ 1.49		€ 1.42
    France		€ 1.50		€ 1.30
    Germany		€ 1.52		€ 1.34
    Sweden		€ 1.54		€ 1.52
    Denmark		€ 1.55		€ 1.34
    UK		€ 1.56		€ 1.64
    Portugal	€ 1.60		€ 1.40
    Netherlands	€ 1.68		€ 1.39
    Italy		€ 1.77		€ 1.67	
    Norway		€ 1.88		€ 1.70

([Highlight]*[/Highlight] may contain chip fat.)