Options

Good Morning Britain - ITV

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday's ratings (thanks to Bushmills)

GMB - 480,000

BBC Breakfast - 1.5m

Shares not indicated.

So, it looks like BBC Breakfast from Glasgow has not really affected the ratings so far (at least, there's nothing obvious to say that GMB is benefiting in any way). And from the short time that I watched this morning no obvious move to air more hard news in order to try to puck up any BBC audience - just a number of human interest stories, complete with SR and her "concerned and understanding" face when appropriate.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Yesterday's ratings (thanks to Bushmills)

GMB - 480,000

BBC Breakfast - 1.5m

Shares not indicated.

So, it looks like BBC Breakfast from Glasgow has not really affected the ratings so far (at least, there's nothing obvious to say that GMB is benefiting in any way). And from the short time that I watched this morning no obvious move to air more hard news in order to try to puck up any BBC audience - just a number of human interest stories, complete with SR and her "concerned and understanding" face when appropriate.

GMB is just not in the business of hard news, they don't have the resources or talent,one poor bloke in Brussels trying to cover the Ukraine while the BBC has several correspondents there.They were bragging about an interview with the father of one of the Brits who died in the plane crash - the gentleman has been interviewed on numerous occasions by the BBC. Isn't 480,000 teetering on the edge of disaster ?
    I suspect the uplift for BBC Breakfast will begin with this morning's show as the games proper get under way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, 480,000 doesn't look at all healthy when you compare ot with the 600,000 - 700,000 that Daybreak used to get
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

It is so sad, that they have to tell a so-called pro TV presenter how to dress and act, but it is down to her not having the talent to be the so called star, and ITV have made a huge mistake taking her on.... The sooner she moved to a lesser programme, the more GMB will have to at least try and work.

A short skirt, will not make up for the silly faces she pulls, and lack of in depth interview talent.
  • Options
    Gavin_MartinGavin_Martin Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes i have Straker and that story i believe is not true but i do believe itv are doing everything they can such as airing the Good Morning Britain ITV promo more often don't know about STV and UTV though
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear. Trying to get people to watch tomorrow as they have the 'exclusive' trailer for 50 Shades. Contradicts their other advert focusing on news rather.
  • Options
    bh21bh21 Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    stv viewer wrote: »
    This is true.

I understand both your views. Personally I enjoy watching GMB but I think changes need to be made.

1. 2 Hosts Mon-Wed Susanna Reid and Ben Shephard
    Thurs - Fri Ranvir Singh and John Stapleton

I would move Charlotte Hawkins to ITV News as she is a good News presenter.

Sean should be permanent sports presenter hosting from a location every day.

2. I would change the running format

6 am Headlines, news reports and paper review. Also regional news(ad at 6.15)
    6.27 Weather
    6.30 Ad
    6.34 Special Feature ( Health, science, education, safety)
    6.40 sport on location
    6.45 regional News
    6.50 Ad
    6.54 weather and fun feature e.g best gardens, things for kids to do.
    7.00 Headlines, news reports and paper review.Also regional news(ad at 7.15)
    7.25 weather and fun feature e.g best gardens, things for kids to do.
    7.30 Ad
    7.34 Special Feature ( Health, science, education, safety)
    7.40 sport on location
    7.44 regional news
    7.48 Ad
    7.52 Entertainment news with Richard Arnold or Roland Rat
    7.58 weather
    8.00 Headlines, News reports
    8.10 Regional News
    8.13 Special Feature ( Health, science, education, safety)
    8.17 Ad
    8.21 chat to Lorraine
    8.22 Weather and Fun Feature
    8.25 Celeb Interview
    8.30 Over to Lorraine

Also Headlines ever 15 minutes

But you have missed out andi peters . surely some mistake
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    It is so sad, that they have to tell a so-called pro TV presenter how to dress and act, but it is down to her not having the talent to be the so called star, and ITV have made a huge mistake taking her on.... The sooner she moved to a lesser programme, the more GMB will have to at least try and work.

A short skirt, will not make up for the silly faces she pulls, and lack of in depth interview talent.

When that DM article was published ITV released a statement saying it was "complete tosh".
    ftv wrote: »
    GMB is just not in the business of hard news, they don't have the resources or talent,one poor bloke in Brussels trying to cover the Ukraine while the BBC has several correspondents there..

He was there to cover the EU summit of foreign ministers, which was discussing whether the EU should impose further sanctions on Russia. That seems like a fairly big news story to me.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Oh dear. Trying to get people to watch tomorrow as they have the 'exclusive' trailer for 50 Shades. Contradicts their other advert focusing on news rather.

Another reason not to watch :D
  • Options
    ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tony-w wrote: »
    Hindsight is a great thing and I suspect ITV would dearly love to be getting 700,000+ viewers again (the median when GMTV was axed).
    ITV, BBC and all other broadcasters need to think about the future carefully, it is 2014 and we now have a generation who have been raised with the Internet. This will and is becoming the dominant source for most peoples information, Live TV will (in my opinion) become more and more irrelevant over the next 10 years to the point that most TV will be received by the Internet, Digital TV (analogue) broadcasts will surely become obsolete.
    Every time I read comments like this I just feel so down.
    Has it ever occurred to anyone that the "generation who have been raised with the internet" are NOT the only people who watch TV therefore they should NOT be considered the most important age group. EVERY age group is as important as each other. I don't want to watch tv on the internet. I'd rather sit down on the sofa and watch tv on a proper tv just like I'd rather sit down on the sofa and read a proper newspaper. We all use the internet but I don't want everything I do controlled by it. I don't want to watch tv on it, read the news on it, listen to my whole record collection on it etc. As for Live tv, to be honest I like watching live morning television shows.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    ItsNick wrote: »
    Has it ever occurred to anyone that the "generation who have been raised with the internet" are NOT the only people who watch TV therefore they should NOT be considered the most important age group. EVERY age group is as important as each other. I don't want to watch tv on the internet. I'd rather sit down on the sofa and watch tv on a proper tv just like I'd rather sit down on the sofa and read a proper newspaper. We all use the internet but I don't want everything I do controlled by it. I don't want to watch tv on it, read the news on it, listen to my whole record collection on it etc. As for Live tv, to be honest I like watching live morning television shows.

Sounds like "New Coke" debacle

wiki link for younger readers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke

Coca Cola changed its flavour in 1985, to appeal more to Pepsi drinkers.
    Unfortunately this enraged regular Coke drinkers, who unleashed a media storm onto Coca Cola resulting in the new product being withdrawn and replaced by the "old" flavour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    When that DM article was published ITV released a statement saying it was "complete tosh.

Well they would... Same as she our star presenter, before you know it she be gone.
  • Options
    conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Told to nod like 'bimbo' Willoughby, oh dear, so funny, tears of laughter.
    Imagine how degrading that must be for SR, a seasoned pro presenter to be given that instruction ..
    if the article is true.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ItsNick wrote: »

People thought newspapers would go out of business in the 1920's when radio became commonplace. They even prevented the BBC from reading the news until the evening- to protect their industry.

And, believe it or not, there was a time when people thought radio would become irrelevant (when television became established)

I bet people will still be watching tv in 50 years time. Don't write it off. It's not going anywhere.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People thought newspapers would go out of business in the 1920's when radio became commonplace. They even prevented the BBC from reading the news until the evening- to protect their industry.

And, believe it or not, there was a time when people thought radio would become irrelevant (when television became established)

I bet people will still be watching tv in 50 years time. Don't write it off. It's not going anywhere.

Can I be the first to predict that Good Morning Britain won't be around then?
  • Options
    earlofbedlamearlofbedlam Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    I can forgive Susannah in any thing she does or says except the stupid gurning..
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Sean, John and Ranvir are presenting gmb tomorrow
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    conceptas wrote: »
    Told to nod like 'bimbo' Willoughby, oh dear, so funny, tears of laughter.
    Imagine how degrading that must be for SR, a seasoned pro presenter to be given that instruction ..
    if the article is true.
    And, whilst flicking through a couple of days ago, I noticed SR sat as a couple (on the desk maybe) and she was sat listening whilst the other presenter started the serious story, and it was like clockwork - show serious face and furrowed brow, nod slowly and understandably.

It just looked so false. Yes, I know that other presenters do the same thing but this was on another level.
    And perhaps my observation (above) indicates that SR has started to nod more, as I cannot recall seeing such obvious nodding previously, and certainly not on BBC Breakfast
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And perhaps my observation (above) indicates that SR has started to nod more, as I cannot recall seeing such obvious nodding previously, and certainly not on BBC Breakfast

She just can't get the nod and concerned look right at all, yes it all looks so force, you get the feeling she is just going through the motions, as she thinks of that huge salery.
  • Options
    ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That makes me feel better. I agree that TV's are going nowhere and nor are newspapers.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    She just can't get the nod and concerned look right at all, yes it all looks so force, you get the feeling she is just going through the motions, as she thinks of that huge salery.

I'm amazed they actually tell people to nod.

It never looks natural. In real life it's what you tend to do when you are trying to look interested when you aren't.

To me it's not subtle, and not natural. Straight from page 1 of ITV's 'How to be a good presenter' handbook.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can anyone explain to me why Lorraine Kelly never seems to be available for HER show on fridays ?. I hope there's a rational reason such as she needs the time for charity work perhaps.
  • Options
    teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone explain to me why Lorraine Kelly never seems to be available for HER show on fridays ?. I hope there's a rational reason such as she needs the time for charity work perhaps.

Far from it, Lorraine is the only early morning presenter I can think of who is on Monday to Friday, although I believe the Friday show is pre-recorded. She isn't on now as Garraway is covering the summer holidays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    teeswolf wrote: »
    Far from it, Lorraine is the only early morning presenter I can think of who is on Monday to Friday, although I believe the Friday show is pre-recorded. She isn't on now as Garraway is covering the summer holidays.

I am sure I read an article a while ago with Lorraine saying that she liked her fridays off so that she can travel back to Dundee every weekend so nothing has changed there then. The "new" contract she had was on her terms once again. Damn... And I thought she was doing something worthwhile.