Cyclist gets hit by car .. and lands on his feet

1235»

Comments

• GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I get this, but then it's subjective.

I cycle, and (when my knee isn't playing up) also run. Cyclists should be on canal paths, cycle paths or the road, not on estate pavements and the like. If they are, then it is their job to accommodate pedestrians, regardless of whether said pedestrians are walking or running.

When I run, I use headphones. If I'm running on a footpath, I shouldn't need to listen out for cyclists as there shouldn't be any. If there are, they should wait patiently to overtake. I don't run on the road for obvious reasons, if I'm running along a canal path though, I'll either turn my music down, or I'll only use one earpiece and have my other ear open to whichever side of the canal path I'm not running on (so if anyone is overtaking' usually on my right, I'll hear them coming).

Same applies to cycling; if I cycle with music, I've only ever got my left earpiece in so I can easily hear traffic coming up on my right.

Here here. A little consideration never goes amiss. I sometimes admittedly cycle on normal footpaths where I deem the road to be too dangerous, but whether it be a normal or shared footpath, I always take care around pedestrians, animals etc, and I've never had any abuse yet. Half of these lycra clad stress heads though only seem to care about landing at their final destination as quickly as possible, and sod everyone else. Selfish to the extreme. Incidentally they probably only get home 5 or 10 minutes earlier, and it'll probably take that to peal the spandex off their arses. :D
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We first saw him on the a69 sitting in traffic, weaving and undertaking, to our surprise he then joined the a1 and witnessed a near pile up as people slammed on to avoid him on the slip road (where the 70 mph traffic was).
    Was it this lot ?
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/commonwealth-games/commonwealth-games-diary-sri-lankan-cyclists-go-training--on-a-motorway-9624452.html
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    There are a myriad of reasons I'd wager on before it being a deliberate act to cause a collision. A failure to look properly is top of the list, misjudging the speed of the cyclist, cyclist obscured by a door pillar, sun in his eyes etc. I would refer you to Hanlon's Razor.

Yes, I am the one who suggested it might have been personal because that is the only reason I could think why it would be deliberate.

Then they're not fit to drive. If the sun is in your eyes, pull down the sun blocker. The cyclist couldn't have been more obvious. I don't need referring to anything. If that driver couldn't notice that cyclist, they shouldn't be driving. They would fail their test if that had happened during it.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Half of these lycra clad stress heads though only seem to care about landing at their final destination as quickly as possible, and sod everyone else. Selfish to the extreme. Incidentally they probably only get home 5 or 10 minutes earlier, and it'll probably take that to peal the spandex off their arses. :D

You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder about cyclists of a certain type. Are you jealous of their bikes or something?
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    And how fast do you think that was? Aren't your sort normally moaning that cyclists are too slow?

My sort?????

You've clearly glazed over the post where I mention I used to cycle to work daily.

I still cycle regularly.

The amount of times I've pulled up at the red lights on my bike only to see a lycra clad fool with his head down burying it through the lights, or even worse - mount the kerb and nearly wipe out a group of pedestrians as an impatient way of turning left.

I appreciate it from both sides because I am on both sides - but a lot of (not all) cyclists do not help themselves.

When I'm next to a lorry even in a car, I'm wary. Bigger wins.

It's no good extolling about your right of way when you're under the wheels of a HGV (in a car or on a bike).
  • The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is this guy on? :D

http://youtu.be/0cBlrk4yQ0Y
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Then they're not fit to drive. If the sun is in your eyes, pull down the sun blocker. The cyclist couldn't have been more obvious. I don't need referring to anything. If that driver couldn't notice that cyclist, they shouldn't be driving. They would fail their test if that had happened during it.

Might well be an incompetent driver, but you've asserted that he/she did it deliberately without any evidence to support it.
    Hanlon's Razor - Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Seems to fit for me, why not for you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Might well be an incompetent driver, but you've asserted that he/she did it deliberately without any evidence to support it.

Seems to fit for me, why not for you?

Maybe because I said:
    zx50 wrote: »
    Explain why the car turned right when it was blatantly obvious that a cyclist was going to collide with them. Go on, just explain that one. I mentioned nothing about it being personal, you said that. If they're fully fit to drive and had their eyes on the road, what possible explanation is there? They might have a grudge against cyclists.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That looks like someone who can't control the acceleration of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone thinks the driver isn't at fault in the video the OP posted, they are mental.

How the hell do you know when someone can and can't break in time, you have no idea, and it doesn't change the fact the driver cut across oncoming traffic, which means there's only one person at fault, the driver.

Let's face it, we aren't perfect when we drive, we get complacent because we know the roads, or we don't encounter cyclists very often, so mistakes happen. The worst people are those who can't admit their mistake, like the stupid woman in the 2nd video posted (cyclist knocked off then gets his bike ran over)

Edit: In defence of the woman, I think what happened to her was, she seen the black car had turned, then basically made her decision to turn left, which is what we do in that situation, unlucky for her was the fact there was a cyclist flying across her and into her path.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    Who is this "they" you speak of?

Lot of it about these days, I am a Motorcyclist myself have been for over 40 years, never owned a car never wanted to,
    Things I have learned,
    ALL bikers are maniacs because someone saw someone for about 1 minute of their day doing something stupid and therefore this proves that the guy does that all the time and that everyone else who uses the same mode of transport is also as guilty as the person being stupid,

( there will now be a "but I have seen lots of bikers doing this therefore they all do it" type of response)

on an average journey of about 20 miles thousands of other road users will pass through our field of view, and yet, most of us will not remember a fraction of them when we get home, you will (if it's a hot and sunny day) probably see lots of motorbikes and push bikes, and you won't remember those when you get home, you WILL remember the 'crazy guy' because he will attract attention,
    and the hard of thinking among us will then join the "they are ALL nutters" brigade.

"motorbikes are dangerous" no, they're not, they are no more 'dangerous' than a motor car, they only become dangerous when not used properly, very few stationary motorbikes or cars have killed anyone.

"Motorbikes are hard to see"...... No they are NOT, if you failed to see a motorbike then you didn't look properly, you were not paying proper attention, because the motorcycle was there, they are certainly not invisible,

the 'answer' to the "invisibility" of motorbikes, according to those who don't pay proper attention, seems to be to ask the motorcyclist to do more to help the person who doesn't pay attention to see you, like ride with his headlight on on a perfectly clear and sunny day, and to dress like a bright orange or green glowing thing,
    all of which are totally useless if the person pulling out on you doesn't even look in your direction,
    (and of course this only EVER happens because the motorcyclist is speeding)

I used to have a police motorcyclist friend who said that even with the blues and two's going he would still get pulled out on, the problem isn't that bikes are hard to see, the problem is that in the majority of cases, people don't even look,
    He said, if it was announced tomorrow that every motorbike will carry half a pound of plastic explosive in it's headlight and detonator with a 5 second impact delay (to give the rider time to be thrown clear) they would bloody see us then,

The best advice I was ever given was from an older biker way back in the 60s when I was just getting started, he said just ride as though you know that every single other person on the road wants to kill you, and they are just waiting for you to give them the chance,
    and that advice can apply to everyone regardless of their mode of transport,

The main problem with motor vehicles is that they will let just about anyone use them with only the bare basics of knowledge skill and aptitude,
    We wouldn't allow people to move amongst us with a loaded machine gun with the equivalent knowledge aptitude and skill with a firearm, and yet we have no problem letting them lose with a device that can kill and maim in a split second,

http://www.rospa.com/faqs/detail.aspx?faq=296
    Reported Road Casualties in Great Britain, 2012
    Killed 1,754
    Seriously Injured 23,039
    Slightly Injured 170,930
    All 195,723

Imagine that those figures happened in a single day instead of drawn out over a year, if five people were shot dead in the UK tomorrow, it would be headline news, yet five people will be killed on the roads tomorrow and it's just accepted,
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member

I had to go to the loo before I watched this as have watched it before :blush:

I think it is safe to say who was in the wrong in that clip and to me that is the funniest clip ever :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I had to go to the loo before I watched this as have watched it before :blush:

I think it is safe to say who was in the wrong in that clip and to me that is the funniest clip ever :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

It really is. :D
  • Entropy_NebulaEntropy_Nebula Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting read on the stigma of being a cyclist:

http://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/the-stigma-of-cycling/