teachers to strike again - only after their 6 week summer holiday though

rasborasbo Posts: 1,606
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yip, weekends off, 2 weeks at christmas, 2 weeks at easter, 6 weeks in summer, a couple extra weeks half term, in service days, early finishes once a week, closing at the first sign of snow, a pension, much better conditions and hours than home carers, nurses, and "our heros in Afganistan" and yet, still not enough.

:rolleyes:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/4343609/Teachers-to-strike-again-but-only-after-their-6-week-summer-holiday-of-course.html

the unemployed rising all the time, people depressed on the dole, this must be like a knife through their heart. If a school kid went on strike the parents would be prosecuted.

Comments

• Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there wouldn't be much point going on strike while on holiday would there?
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha ha! Very amusing thread title!
  • SecretSmilerSecretSmiler Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apparently they dont have six weeks holiday, they have soooooooo much to do in that six weeks. So they could strike then if they really wanted to make a point :D
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When will you be starting the new teaching job then?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when your job involves as much as a teachers does, I will allow for your bad judgement. I've lived with a teacher and it is such a consuming job, she left for work at 6.30am, sometimes didn't get home til 8 and stayed up til 10/11 marking and doing lesson plans. she spent all day Sunday doing work too.

Its such a bad attitude to have that's displayed in this thread - teachers work extremely hard and should be respected not punished.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when your job involves as much as a teachers does, I will allow for your bad judgement. I've lived with a teacher and it is such a consuming job, she left for work at 6.30am, sometimes didn't get home til 8 and stayed up til 10/11 marking and doing lesson plans. she spent all day Sunday doing work too.

...and the answer to that argument is always "people in other jobs work hard too, but don't get six weeks off in summer".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and the answer to that argument is always "people in other jobs work hard too, but don't get six weeks off in summer".

be that as it may, I bet these people in other jobs get paid a hell of a lot more than teachers - the hours that teachers put in at term time makes up for their six weeks off.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Different jobs have different working hours.

Its only teachers that cop flack for their working hours for some reason though.
  • caroilcaroil Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    rasbo wrote: »
    Yip, weekends off, 2 weeks at christmas, 2 weeks at easter, 6 weeks in summer, a couple extra weeks half term, in service days, early finishes once a week, closing at the first sign of snow, a pension, much better conditions and hours than home carers, nurses, and "our heros in Afganistan" and yet, still not enough.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/4343609/Teachers-to-strike-again-but-only-after-their-6-week-summer-holiday-of-course.html

the unemployed rising all the time, people depressed on the dole, this must be like a knife through their heart. If a school kid went on strike the parents would be prosecuted.

BIB They could all have chosen to be a teacher if they had wanted the conditions of service that teachers have!
  • TalullahmayTalullahmay Posts: 5,962
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's as easy as ppl think being a Teacher if i'm honest, Maybe they do seem to have far to many Paid holidays:eek:
    But another poster has already pointed out the time spent planning lessons etc that we don't see!
    I wouldn't have their job no matter what it paid & I know they chose it themselves...Did LOL at the thread title though:D:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Teachers generally work pretty hard. They have to do a lot of work outside their teaching hours which goes un-noticed by the general public. They often have to put up with awful behaviour from pupils (and parents). Yes they may get 6 weeks off in the summer but their holidays are always fixed. They can't choose to take a week off when it suits them. So if they do want to take a holiday they always have to pay peak prices. I have a lot of respect for teachers. I certainly wouldn't want to do their job.

However, I can't get on board with these public sector strikes. Ok, your pension isn't going to be as good as it might have been but it's the same for everyone. Many people in the private sector don't even have an employers pension. I've had an absolute stack wiped off the value of my pension fund due to the financial crisis. Unlike the teachers, there is no one I can hold to ransom to get a better deal. Suck it up and get on with it.
  • talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    junior doctors think teachers have an easy life as well, even when the teachers moan about having to stay up late at night doing marking etc.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    junior doctors think teachers have an easy life as well, even when the teachers moan about having to stay up late at night doing marking etc.
    Are you their official spokesman?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Teachers seldom have six weeks off as they have to do lesson plans, clean and paint classrooms, buy equipment and read and update themselves with correct theory and practices.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member

Its such a bad attitude to have that's displayed in this thread - teachers work extremely hard and should be respected not punished.

Left at 6.30 am? the school must have been a fair distance away then which would also account for the late arrival home so if the school was say 5 minutes away from your house, arrive at 8.30, finish at say 3.30, then 2 hours lesson planning, (which could be done in the school building) she would still be home before 6pm and still have had her hour off for lunch plus morning and afternoon breaks.

You can't include travel time to make a point, many people have to travel long distances to work their contracted hours. Unless of course, the school your missus works at begins the day at 7 in the morning and finishes at 7.30 at night, if so, please accept my apologies.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooooh, a thread I know something about. I am doing a PGCE after having done plenty other different types of jobs so I am a good position to be able to speak on the subject.

I support anyones right to strike if they feel strongly enough about the cause. If you have signed up for certain conditions then, through no fault of your own, those conditions change then you would be annoyed.

The 'they get far too many holidays' stuff just highlights that people have no idea what teachers actually do. I am not sure I want to complete my PGCE as the workload is ridiculous. Far easier ways to earn money.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't include travel time always though. I'm a trainee teacher and at my previous School I used to get in at 730 in the morning (normally the last person in my Department to arrive - because I had less teaching to do). Hardly anyone left before 5, and they still took loads of work home. I really wish every adult had to do some time in a School to see what it's like. I would say everyone should try and teach but that does involve training. Lesson planning takes a lot of skill to make it all flow and also you have to keep up with the ever changing curriculum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Teachers generally work pretty hard. They have to do a lot of work outside their teaching hours which goes un-noticed by the general public. They often have to put up with awful behaviour from pupils (and parents). Yes they may get 6 weeks off in the summer but their holidays are always fixed. They can't choose to take a week off when it suits them. So if they do want to take a holiday they always have to pay peak prices. I have a lot of respect for teachers. I certainly wouldn't want to do their job.

However, I can't get on board with these public sector strikes. Ok, your pension isn't going to be as good as it might have been but it's the same for everyone. Many people in the private sector don't even have an employers pension. I've had an absolute stack wiped off the value of my pension fund due to the financial crisis. Unlike the teachers, there is no one I can hold to ransom to get a better deal. Suck it up and get on with it.

Neither can people with kids, our holidays are governed by school terms as well. (i don't know if this is the case with every school but it certainly is with my childrens)

They also get half term and end of term off too, and without going back, whoever said that they 'paint the classrooms and tidy up':rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Definitely agree with the last part. My sister and a handful of my friends are teachers and so I can definitely see that they work their asses off, but whilst they have every right to strike, I can only offer so much sympathy. All pension schemes rip you off but you'll struggle to find ones as good as those in the public sector.
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum was a teacher. Her teaching hours were 9:00 til 3:30. She arrived at 8:00 to prepare for the day. She didn't have lunch as they had to supervise kids. She finished the day at school at 5:30. Then she went home and marked work and/or prepared lessons for the next day. Probably adding another 2.5 hours in total to the day (12 hour day). Every single holiday, she was preparing for the next term and marking work from the last term. As a family, over summer we probably only had 3 weeks where she wasn't working, over Easter and Christmas, only one week. You can pretty much rule out any holiday over half term.

So she worked 12 hour days, she had 5 weeks holiday and then she got shit from every fool who thinks teachers get an easy life.

If any of you ever stop to think how you can comment on and read these threads, well... You have a teacher to thank for that. So take some of that knowledge they gave you and put it to some good use, rather than slag off the people who deserve your praise.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And the answer to that is, if you want the same, go and get yourself some A Levels and then sit a PGCE. Then go through constant on the job training, hours upon hours of homework, early mornings, weekends and late finishes and in the mean time get kicked, punched, sworn and spat at by unruly brats. Yeah life's a real peach being a teacher.

If the job is that cushy then how come they can't get enough teachers and nobody wants to do the job?

I think those who criticise need to do it to see how hard it is. Besides it's illegal to make children work full time so what do you expect teachers to do in the Summer holidays seeing as they can't be at work, get a paper round? All the teachers I know come home with weeks of marking and prep work ready for September. As for Christmas and Easter, I know loads of factories and businesses that close over those holidays so it's hardly exclusive to teaching. At least other people don't have to spend half their holidays preparing work and marking books.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can keep their summer holidays, there is no way I could cope doing their job. I have utmost resepct for our teachers who are responsible for the education of our young. I back them up every step of the way, if they think they feel they are being hard done by.

It is about time we stopped falling for the government pitting the private sector and public sector off against each other. We all should be fighting for the best deals we can get. They want us to hate each other, it seems to be all part of the plan
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    rasbo wrote: »

A fair summary
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can keep their summer holidays, there is no way I could cope doing their job. I have utmost resepct for our teachers who are responsible for the education of our young. I back them up every step of the way, if they think they feel they are being hard done by.

It is about time we stopped falling for the government pitting the private sector and public sector off against each other. We all should be fighting for the best deals we can get. They want us to hate each other, it seems to be all part of the plan
    Yep, and it's working brilliantly, to judge by this thread. Seems like people won't be happy till teachers (and everyone else) are just as badly off as the worst-off private sector workers - 5 weeks' holiday, no pension, no right to strike, minimum wage...

Presumably they think exhausted, unmotivated teachers with an old age in poverty to look forward to are ideal for preparing their kids for real life :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    The pension changes mean that not only are teachers' pensions smaller, but their monthly contributions have also increased.