Black Mirror Series 2

Comments

• jonnyinscotlandjonnyinscotland Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I think with the BBC its more to do with not giving free adverts on a channel that is supposed to be advert free - though a lot seems to slip through these days:D
    Thinking of Dr Who usually their news clips are as if coming from the BBC themselves - I wonder why Black Mirror didn't make it out to be C4 news?

Dr Who, Doctors etc. are produced by the BBC whereas Black Mirror is produced for C4. This probably has something to do with it.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anybody know if White Bear is going to get a repeat before the next episode?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latest episode had a good premise but was let down by the bad acting
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    There are many different levels to this.

Firstly, it mirrors the reactionary and psychopathic contradictions of society. We don't know if the main character is acting or is a convicted accomplice who volunteers for one weeks humiliation to escape the long 15 year sentence. The media can manipulate the truth to sex up their ratings (ie Network movie) and their profit. We cannot be certain that there is any truth in major stories on mainstream media and in newspapers; we just believe it to be the truth and react in a way that only a reactionary mob mentality would. The sick ones in my opinion are the people who pay to see the suffering. The main character could be an actress who is all part of a psycholigical operation to make the watching public think that they are receiving justice in a truly democratic society. Let us hope that she the subject will get her mind wiped when it's over. Then again to stop her committing further crimes, the idea might be for her to retain the memory of the humiliation as a deterrent to not doing it again.
    Secondly, she is lucky to have her brain wiped as it removes a lifetime of programming, brainwashing, hate, fear, suffering, you name it. I am been trying for the last 4 years to to detox myself of 50 years of blatant indoctrination propaganda through, religion, tv, education, cinema and all matter of institutional oppression. Whether, i would volunteer to have all the good memories removes as well as the bad; i don't know.
    Whatever, this is an amazing piece of thought provoking drama, well done Charlie, very clever. After watching this episode and all the previous ones, i feel i have been through a disturbing experience but was thoroughly entertained, very strange. Having said that, i can't wait to see next weeks episode.
    Forum Member
    If the whole event was televised there would be no need to watch it over and over again, the novelty would wear off. Perhaps the audience are either paid actors or members of the family and friends of the victims of the alleged crime or are members of the public who have followed the story on the media. Or are criminals themselves who are there as a form of therapy towards rehabilitation of their own crimes committed. In reality, some members of the public opposed to this kind of humiliation by audience would pay to get in to gatecrash and destroy the whole process, which suggests to me that the audience were invited or are actors. We are not living in a big brother society, we are living in Big Father Society.
  • LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether it's televised or just a theme park they must have a huge budget to take over a town like that.
    Forum Member
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Latest episode had a good premise but was let down by the bad acting

Not sure if it was bad acting, Brooker's idea was to give it a realistic Blair Witch Project like feel to make it seem real at first. It wouldn't surprise me that the people in the audience were not actually actors within the drama project but were ordinary members of the public who didn't know what the hell they were watching. I need to watch it again to check the acting.
    Forum Member
    To some extent I disagree with that as well.
    We may feel as though we're more liberated and aware of what's going on. But quite often all these 'individual' points of view voiced by having access to the means of communicating to each other via social media and texting echo the propaganda that people have picked up from conventional media.
    Opinions are often validated based on what the official line is supposed to be.

How often have you seem masses of people all thinking they're clued up on some news, all holding a similar opinion on it, and then find out that they're just echoing what the news today has spoonfed to them by a tabloid paper, or a TV news programme, or a documentary.
    In a way it can be more scary because people can succumb so easily to a kind of hive mind.

Advances in technology may provide us with the impression that we're more sophisticated and informed, but I don't think that psychologically we've evolved that much as animals, and propaganda will still work in the same way on us.
    We're even provided with the framework with what particular news we should be thinking about and how we should feel about that news.
    We may have more of a potential for forming a more rounded opinion, but whether people in general actually bother seeking the truth is an entirely different matter.
    We're just monkeys with phones really. We still have the capacity to think lazily and succumb to some of our more negative instincts.

Exactly, the vast majority of the public do not think for themselves and always follow the group mentality and media opinion, they never come to a conclusion that the media could be wrong and if anyone disagrees they are either a Conspiracy Theorist, or a nutjob. Blind Loyalty to a failed system.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last week's (the TV apocalypse thing) was the only one I've seen so far and I was not impressed. The plot and writing were like something a 6th former would come up with, and the overall effect was 'Derren Brown meets 28 Days Later'.
    Corny and predictable.
    Forum Member
    drykid- "It's the viewers of Black Mirror itself that are really being toyed with here, so if I say "us" then that's what I'm referring to. I certainly don't self-identify with the bunch of jaded thrill seekers and reactionaries that Brooker presents as the general public within the show. But then again, Brooker's own misanthropy is one of the key themes of the whole series. "We deserve the world we've created" is a constant theme."

Very well spotted drykid, that is the very premise of television and all media platforms to demonise, mis-inform and control the viewing public.
    Forum Member
    The series reflects the good and bad inherent in everyone, how that manifests itself depends on the environment you live in and how it effects your psyche. Put yourself on a peaceful island, with a perfect climate and abundance of nutritional food and a small like-minded family. No television, no newspapers, no money, no religion. Only nature to embrace. If you had the choice would you take it?
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The series reflects the good and bad inherent in everyone, how that manifests itself depends on the environment you live in and how it effects your psyche. Put yourself on a peaceful island, with a perfect climate and abundance of nutritional food and a small like-minded family. No television, no newspapers, no money, no religion. Only nature to embrace. If you had the choice would you take it?

Yes, I would. Where is this paradise?
    Forum Member
    adams66 wrote: »
    Yes, I would. Where is this paradise?

Good question. The paradise is within your own imagination, once imagined it can be manifested into reality. It is a tough life outside of the matrix and i for one am not prepared to try it. Be the change you want to see in the world.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Just caught up with the first two episodes and I think the same goes for both of them... I almost liked them.

I'd heard about the premise for Be Right Back before I watched and was looking forward to it as I thought it was a very interesting idea. And while I liked the way it built up, I just felt really disappointed in that jump into sci-fi territory in the last third. It went from mildly plausible (it's not past the realms of possibility that a computer programme could mimic a deceased person from social media and emails), but when it just got absurd when it went all Frankenstein and an actual clone of the guy was created in a bathtub. All got rather silly, and I didn't like the end that she kept him in the attic either.

Didn't know anything about White Bear, and while I was initially interested in what was going on, with again a very intriguing plot, I grew bored after about 15-20 mins. I only became interested again once the audience was revealed and the 'Truman Show'-like twist came about, but again I became bored very quickly with the final part of her reliving the experience over and over.

Got my fingers crossed for a strong finale episode this week, and hoping I don't lose interest like I have done for the first two.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Why is everyone assuming the torture was shown as a tv show? I dont recall seeing anything to suggest that it was being broadcast on tv so people wouldnt get fed up of it.
  • 3iff3iff Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    White Bear:

There were clues along the way. Why were the hunters only chasing the escapees and ignoring the spectators...I wasn't clever enough to make the connection.

However, the justice park angle with day-trippers...it's to some extent showing that this is how people would (should?) be treated if they committed the sort of crimes this pair had done. Imagine having to go through that every day instead of sitting in a comfortable prison cell.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    3iff wrote: »
    White Bear:

There were clues along the way. Why were the hunters only chasing the escapees and ignoring the spectators...I wasn't clever enough to make the connection.

However, the justice park angle with day-trippers...it's to some extent showing that this is how people would (should?) be treated if they committed the sort of crimes this pair had done. Imagine having to go through that every day instead of sitting in a comfortable prison cell.

I prefer the way they do it in scifi programmes, where they make the person relive the memories of the person they tortured or killed.
  • 3iff3iff Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Perhaps the technology isn't up to that level but putting her in the place of her victim is perhaps more karmic.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteelEdge wrote: »
    Just caught up with the first two episodes and I think the same goes for both of them... I almost liked them.

I'd heard about the premise for Be Right Back before I watched and was looking forward to it as I thought it was a very interesting idea. And while I liked the way it built up, I just felt really disappointed in that jump into sci-fi territory in the last third. It went from mildly plausible (it's not past the realms of possibility that a computer programme could mimic a deceased person from social media and emails), but when it just got absurd when it went all Frankenstein and an actual clone of the guy was created in a bathtub. All got rather silly, and I didn't like the end that she kept him in the attic either.

Didn't know anything about White Bear, and while I was initially interested in what was going on, with again a very intriguing plot, I grew bored after about 15-20 mins. I only became interested again once the audience was revealed and the 'Truman Show'-like twist came about, but again I became bored very quickly with the final part of her reliving the experience over and over.

Got my fingers crossed for a strong finale episode this week, and hoping I don't lose interest like I have done for the first two.

good post , that was basically my reaction too .

I really liked the twist in the middle of the second episode , but then there was 20 minutes left and it didn't really do anymore with it .
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the brief recollections we did see suggested she was fond of the girl and at least at the beginning filmed her playing comfortably... so it is very much a case of her repressed memories suggesting something that goes against the public's view and judgement she received, particularly since her own claim seemed to be disregarded about "being under his spell". Without the other person's testimony all the blame was heaped on her so she suffered in his place as well as for her own crimes because the public decided she was just as guilty as the actual suspected torturer and murderer for simply recording it on her smartphone.

Shades of Maxine Carr?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it was bad acting, Brooker's idea was to give it a realistic Blair Witch Project like feel to make it seem real at first. It wouldn't surprise me that the people in the audience were not actually actors within the drama project but were ordinary members of the public who didn't know what the hell they were watching. I need to watch it again to check the acting.

The lead character couldn't do crying at all well. Bit of a letdown.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    SteelEdge wrote: »

I didn't think it was that implausible- I thought it
    might have been a homage to "Blade Runner's"
    replicanths.

Does anyone think "Be Right Back" might have been
    inspired by the little-known horror film
    "Neither the Sea Nor the Sand"? That's where a woman
    brings her dead lover's corpse back to
    life...as a disturbing creature.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068996/
  • brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's everyone's opinion on the next installment, based on the small preview we saw at the end of last episode. I'm really looking forward to it. Our politcal system could do with a change, if a new political party started that could relate to most people and they found a way to get the publicity they could easily beat our current parties, which is quite scary with the power those people would have. I wonder what mr brooker has planned...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Last week's (the TV apocalypse thing) was the only one I've seen so far and I was not impressed. The plot and writing were like something a 6th former would come up with, and the overall effect was 'Derren Brown meets 28 Days Later'.
    Corny and predictable.

The sixth former thing was exactly what I was thinking at first! I studied media production in college and it reminded me a lot of the films our tutor showed us of past students work. Saying that though I did think it picked up towards the end, I didn't guess that it was all a set up but in hindsight the plot was quite simplistic.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brewer480 wrote: »
    What's everyone's opinion on the next installment, based on the small preview we saw at the end of last episode. I'm really looking forward to it. Our politcal system could do with a change, if a new political party started that could relate to most people and they found a way to get the publicity they could easily beat our current parties, which is quite scary with the power those people would have. I wonder what mr brooker has planned...

I saw the trailer and thought, "Oh, crap, it's that twit* from the BT advert!!"

(*misprint)