Tyre advice

_ben_ben Posts: 5,758
Forum Member
Last time my car went in for its MOT, I got caught out needing a new tyre unexpectedly so I just let the garage change it. They fitted something called a Chengshan Sportcat, which sounded suspiciously cheap and nasty. Anyway, this time around I was sure to check my tyres before the MOT, and one of them did need changing so I took it round to my local tyre place. They fitted something called a Westlake, which is also a brand I'd never heard of before, but it cost me twice as much. Now, I've never come across either of these brands before - is a Westlake really worth twice as much as a Sportcat?

Comments

• SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know the answer to your question but will offer this advice. Try to take an interest in the tyres you buy. Buy the best you can afford, as if your life might depend on it.

Goodyear Eagles
    Bridgestone
    Continental

...that sort of thing.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    I don't know the answer to your question but will offer this advice. Try to take an interest in the tyres you buy. Buy the best you can afford, as if your life might depend on it.
    This with knobs on. Everything you do to change direction or speed depends on your tyres.
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Can't argue with that. I would add that the Sportcat actually feels grippier than the Pirelli that it replaced, although it's more noisy, probably isn't as fuel efficient, and anecdotally I think it may have worn faster too.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are two things I never, ever, stint on with my cars: brakes and tyres. The former is the only thing that stops me, and the other the only things that keep me on the road. While some relatively unkown tyre makes can be good, I prefer to stick with reputable makes where I know the quality is reasonably well known
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both Falken and Kumho are good quality, mid-priced tyres.

Have a look at blackcircle for purchasing, you order online and can choose to have them fitted at a local garage.

http://www.blackcircles.com/
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Both Falken and
    I got a full set of Falken tyres through Blackcircle for my CRV - much, much better than the Firestones that were on before - and a lot cheaper too.

Local garages also tend to take more care fitting - mine actually fitted guards over the alloys so that they wouldn't get scratched. Compare this with Kw*k Fit who dropped the wheels of my company car face down and then wouldn't stump up to repair them. Only the threat of my company withdrawing the contract made them pay for repairs.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Avoid the ones known colloquially as Widow Makers, and also Ditch Finders. Not good. :)
  • scott789sscott789s Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You said "They fitted something called a Westlake". You are allowed to specify the tyre you want, its not a lucky dip.
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you go to the website of any tyre supplier they will be able to tell you about the tyres.

Eg. on the one below

http://www.national.co.uk/

you can enter your registration number and it will tell you the tyres available and rate them for you as well as give a description.

(On that site your Westlake appears to come out as equal to a Goodyear or Firestone. The Sportcat appears to be what is know as a "value" tyre so maybe best to avoid next time)
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you go to the website of any tyre supplier they will be able to tell you about the tyres.

Eg. on the one below

http://www.national.co.uk/

you can enter your registration number and it will tell you the tyres available and rate them for you as well as give a description.

Your best bet is look in the owners handbook.

All the tyre sites either don't have any details about my car or worse have the wrong details as mine have different factory fitted wheels then standard. I would suggest looking at the existing tyre but as I have found in the past, there is no guaranty that the person who owned the car before you fitted the correct tyres.
    (On that site your Westlake appears to come out as equal to a Goodyear or Firestone. The Sportcat appears to be what is know as a "value" tyre so maybe best to avoid next time)

Equal according to who ?

Searching on google, the first hit is to a report that westlake suffered from government recalls in the US

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair/4-tire-companies-to-avoid

It is a bit of a minefield but there are plenty of reviews available from reputable sites.

Also modern tyres do come with 'ratings' for wet grip, fuel economy and noise I think but if you look closer there is no standard test so comparing tyres from the same brand is fine but virtually meaningless between brands.
  • blackmagicblackmagic Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been told the best tyres you can buy are Michelin tyres. They last longer and don't wear down as easily. So bought a Michelin tyre for my car. They are pricey though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    _ben wrote: »
    Last time my car went in for its MOT, I got caught out needing a new tyre unexpectedly so I just let the garage change it. They fitted something called a Chengshan Sportcat, which sounded suspiciously cheap and nasty. Anyway, this time around I was sure to check my tyres before the MOT, and one of them did need changing so I took it round to my local tyre place. They fitted something called a Westlake, which is also a brand I'd never heard of before, but it cost me twice as much. Now, I've never come across either of these brands before - is a Westlake really worth twice as much as a Sportcat?

They are both cheap rubbish brands , so unfortunately you were ripped off by the sounds of it. Avon are a good mid-range brand that don't cost to much. No need to buy the very top brands unless you have a high performance car.
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »

Equal according to who ?

Searching on google, the first hit is to a report that westlake suffered from government recalls in the US

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair/4-tire-companies-to-avoid

It is a bit of a minefield but there are plenty of reviews available from reputable sites.

Also modern tyres do come with 'ratings' for wet grip, fuel economy and noise I think but if you look closer there is no standard test so comparing tyres from the same brand is fine but virtually meaningless between brands.

I did explain that in my post, perhaps you missed it

(On that site your Westlake appears to come out as equal to a Goodyear or Firestone.

still it was worth posting as more and better advice has been posted now so not a post in vain
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best value for money option is to look at the national chains that sell tyres - they buy in bulk, and if they've used a cheaper brand for a year or two, chances are it will be a reasonable tyre - for the money that is.

Much depends on the car, and how you drive it. If you own a BMW M3 and drive it hard, you need the best tyres on it, which are going to be pricey.

There are some obscure sounding names around, and some are best avoided. Some of the big tyre brands make tyres in other names - they may not be to the same standard as their premier range, but can be fine for the average family car driven in a reasonable way. The longer-standing budget manufacturer's are the best bet.

Most tyres perform reasonably well when cornering on a dry road if speed is not excessive. It’s what happens on a wet road that often causes problems.

One advantage with high performance tyres is that they are usually more predictable in both wet, and dry conditions, and it’s easier to know when they will break away when cornering hard.

A lot of the cheaper tyres will suddenly break away when pushed to their limits, whereas a high performance tyre will progressively lose its grip, which can be felt by the driver.

Putting budget tyres on a high performance vehicle that is going to be driven hard is a huge mistake.

But for the average family saloon that will be driven steadily, budget tyres can be fine.

If you are telephoning round the tyre chains for tyre prices, and you hear a name you've never heard of before, ask them how long they've been selling the tyre for, and if it's over two years, chances are it will be a safe buy. But make sure you match the tyre to the car, and if you drive it hard, don't try to save money on the tyres. Always check whether the price given includes valves and balancing.

The quality of the service at tyre depots often depends on how good the manager is - as with most large companies, some branches are better on customer care than others.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Peter_Lamy wrote: »
    They are both cheap rubbish brands , so unfortunately you were ripped off by the sounds of it. Avon are a good mid-range brand that don't cost to much. No need to buy the very top brands unless you have a high performance car.

And are made in England. That's good enough for me.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    The best value for money option is to look at the national chains that sell tyres - they buy in bulk, and if they've used a cheaper brand for a year or two, chances are it will be a reasonable tyre - for the money that is.

Much depends on the car, and how you drive it. If you own a BMW M3 and drive it hard, you need the best tyres on it, which are going to be pricey.

There are some obscure sounding names around, and some are best avoided. Some of the big tyre brands make tyres in other names - they may not be to the same standard as their premier range, but can be fine for the average family car driven in a reasonable way. The longer-standing budget manufacturer's are the best bet.

Most tyres perform reasonably well when cornering on a dry road if speed is not excessive. It’s what happens on a wet road that often causes problems.

One advantage with high performance tyres is that they are usually more predictable in both wet, and dry conditions, and it’s easier to know when they will break away when cornering hard.

A lot of the cheaper tyres will suddenly break away when pushed to their limits, whereas a high performance tyre will progressively lose its grip, which can be felt by the driver.

Putting budget tyres on a high performance vehicle that is going to be driven hard is a huge mistake.

But for the average family saloon that will be driven steadily, budget tyres can be fine.

If you are telephoning round the tyre chains for tyre prices, and you hear a name you've never heard of before, ask them how long they've been selling the tyre for, and if it's over two years, chances are it will be a safe buy. But make sure you match the tyre to the car, and if you drive it hard, don't try to save money on the tyres. Always check whether the price given includes valves and balancing.

The quality of the service at tyre depots often depends on how good the manager is - as with most large companies, some branches are better on customer care than others.

This is sound advice, OP. Buy the tyres which are right for you and the way you drive. I drive a small car, 5 mile commute each way every day in sun or rain, never over 30. If it's snowy or icy (very rare), I'd normally get the train instead. Some longer trips. I'm simply not in the league of needing premium tyres, though I did in the end get a good deal on a pair of Dunlops.

Don't be spooked into buying super expensive tyres if you're the same.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Find yourself a reputable and reliable tyre supplier with a good work history. They can 'read' tyres like reading a book and know all there is to know about them. I've used the same guy now for the last 25 years and never go anywhere else. He does Tyres, Exhausts and Batteries......and that's it. I use him because he's honest, doesn't sell junk, prices fairly and won't sell anyone anything they don't really need.

Much depends on the type of vehicle the tyres are going on but one point which should never be ignored is whatever brand gets fitted, it must meet the vehicle manufacturers speed rating.

The reason i mention that is because if your vehicle is involved in a serious accident, everything will be closely examined, not only by the Police but more importantly an Insurance Assessor. If just one tyre is found to have the incorrect speed rating, your insurance company could void your policy and worse still, you could find yourself in deep financial mire.
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I had my MG I never bought cheap tyres, and never bought remoulds!

When new my car came with Continentals fitted on it, I kept to them until the guy I went to didn't have any and recommended Falkens. Best tyres I ever had! Really grippy and not noisy.

However it did help that my brother used to order the tyres for me and I got them at cost as he worked for a car dealers at the time and they got all their tyres from this little place in Bishops Stortford!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a Westlake price guide here - you put your requirements and size in, and a price comes up.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/Westlake_tyres.html

Should tell you whether the first tyre was very cheap, or whether you got stung on the Westlake. They don't look to be anything special.

If it turns out that you've really been taken for a ride (no pun intended), you could ring the head office of the firm you dealt with and double-check the price based on the size and type of tyre you were sold. Perhaps it was a mistake, or maybe someone is on the fiddle. Most of the nationals provide a printed sheet giving full details of the sale, including any extras, did you get that?
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was stuck in a traffic jam yesterday when I noticed something odd looking about the r/h rear tyre of the people carrier (vauxhall) in front. It had more beige canvas showing than actual rubber tyre.
    Illegal is one thing, this was lethal.
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frightening how many people let the MOT be the car safety check nowadays. :o
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    The Sportcat appears to be what is know as a "value" tyre so maybe best to avoid next time

Funnily enough, my car failed it's MOT today because the Sportcat had a bulge caused by failure or separation. Luckily the place had a good range of tyres at good prices, so I wasn't caught out having to buy a "value" tyre just to get it through the MOT.

I'm not reading Finglonga's post above.