12 has a wedding ring

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
Forum Member
11 and River never exchanged wedding rings, but 12 has one on in the poster.

Did I miss something?

Comments

• CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capaldi has the wedding ring.

12 has been given a band to hide it.
  • KidneysKidneys Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    It's Peter Capaldi's ring, he pretty much never takes it off.

I don't know if it will be mentioned to have anything to do with The Doctor. The First Doctor had a ring too but I don't remember if it had anything to do with the plot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    So is the poster Capaldi and Jenna, not The Doctor and Clara?

With a fanbase like DW has, why wouldn't they at least photoshop it out?
  • VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kidneys wrote: »
    It's Peter Capaldi's ring, he pretty much never takes it off.

I don't know if it will be mentioned to have anything to do with The Doctor. The First Doctor had a ring too but I don't remember if it had anything to do with the plot.

Welcome to the forum!

The First Doctor's ring, having been an unremarkable part of his outfit for some time, suddenly becomes Important in The Web Planet, before lapsing back into obscurity for much of the rest of his career. If you haven't watched The Web Planet before, perhaps you should - it's educational in more ways than one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So is the poster Capaldi and Jenna, not The Doctor and Clara?

With a fanbase like DW has, why wouldn't they at least photoshop it out?

Because what you see in the picture is a prop for the character.

The actor's wedding ring is underneath it.
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    Because what you see in the picture is a prop for the character.

The actor's wedding ring is underneath it.

so are you saying The Doctor is wearing a wedding ring?

I don't want to seem like a stupid fan, I was just surprised when I found that today so I thought I'd ask around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't want to seem like a stupid fan, I was just surprised when I found that today so I thought I'd ask around.

It's just a strategically placed signet ring which 12 thought was nice until proven otherwise. :p
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    It's just a strategically placed signet ring which 12 thought was nice until proven otherwise. :p

hahahaha

a closer look at the image shows something sticking up - it's not just a flat band, but it does look all gold. Maybe it's a Master type of deal since it's a new set of regenerations?

Who knows... I'm just excited for the new unfolding mysteries - I guess I'm starting to make my own.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No it's just a signet ring that he happens to wear on that finger - as we saw, Gallifreyan weddings don't have anything to do with the exchange of rings. Practically the ring is there to cover Capaldi's ring because he refuses to take it off for any role.
  • KidneysKidneys Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Vopiscus wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum!

The First Doctor's ring, having been an unremarkable part of his outfit for some time, suddenly becomes Important in The Web Planet, before lapsing back into obscurity for much of the rest of his career. If you haven't watched The Web Planet before, perhaps you should - it's educational in more ways than one.

Yeah I'll have to watch it, it's been a long time since I watched that era of Who so my memory isn't so good on it. Adds more to the list of things to do while waiting for the 23rd. ^^
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Do we know for certain that Gallifreyans exchange rings? Or that they choose to wear them on that particular finger?

Also, if it IS a wedding ring, it might be nothing to do with his marriage to River.
    He was a grandfather when we first encountered him, and was presumably married to Susan's grandmother .....
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a good photo of it

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/03/18/article-0-1C642A6900000578-973_1024x615_large.jpg

You can see how they have 'off centered' the mount so that when both bits are pressed together it forms one thick band. It's been made to hide the fact that Peter wears a wedding ring. The design looks vaguely Roman to me...
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    No it's just a signet ring that he happens to wear on that finger - as we saw, Gallifreyan weddings don't have anything to do with the exchange of rings. Practically the ring is there to cover Capaldi's ring because he refuses to take it off for any role.

And I respect him all the more for that. :)
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vopiscus wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum!

I think it figured in the plot only two more times, once in The Daleks' Master Plan and then in a very minor way in The Power of the Daleks.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,056
    Forum Member
    Most doctors wear a wedding ring and have pictures of their family on their desks. It stops patients falling in love them. Maybe the 12th Doctor is trying a similar approach with Clara.