Options

iPhone 5 4.6 display

swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
Forum Member
Reuters is reporting that the iPhone 5 will have a 4.6" display. What will happen now with all those people saying their 3.5" display is perfect and they would never want a bigger screen, you know who you are ;).

This will mean you won't be able to upgrade or will have to get an android :eek:

Comments

• Options
    sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an iPhone and really like it.

I wouldn't be keen on a phone much bigger than it as I see little point in carrying a bloody great phone around. In fact if they did a smaller one I would probably go for that.

That said I doubt I would use an android.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    i don't buy it. I think 4.0 Inch will be the biggest they will go.
  • Options
    madscotsboymadscotsboy Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    I like the iPhone cuz it meets my needs. If it comes with a bigger screen by the time I'm due for an ungrade then I'll get it. If not then thats OK. 4.6" Does seem a bit big. I'd take 4-4.2".
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    i don't buy it. I think 4.0 Inch will be the biggest they will go.

agreed. can't see em going too radical. Still will be funny to see the fans and their arbitrary drawings of thumb sweeps backtracking, regardless.
  • Options
    gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the next iPhone screen is bigger. I love the galaxy nexus screen but that might be abit too big for most people but I deffinetly think the iPhone looks like a baby to most top spec android phones now.
  • Options
    dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Reuters is reporting that the iPhone 5 will have a 4.6" display. What will happen now with all those people saying their 3.5" display is perfect and they would never want a bigger screen, you know who you are ;).

This will mean you won't be able to upgrade or will have to get an android :eek:

What are you talking about?

I'm an iPhone fan. I have an iPhone 4S. I can outrightly state that the size of my phone's display is perfect. Wether the next iPhone will have a 4.6" display or not is a moot point, as my decision isn't just based on the size of a screen. If I end up with a phone with a screen that size I'll say its too big.

Any other sweeping generalisations you want to make before the door hits you on the way out?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dontpannic wrote: »
    I'm an iPhone fan........ I can outrightly state that the size of my phone's display is perfect.......If I end up with a phone with a screen that size I'll say its too big.

Is someone keeping a list of these posts ;)
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I happy with the size of my 3GS screen and I don't need a bigger screen at this time.
    The fact an iPhone 5 could come with a bigger screen wouldnt influence me into to buying one at all and If I choose to buy one or upgrade to one it would be purely because I would like to get the newer model.
    I think there's a big difference between saying you wouldn't buy another phone for a bigger screen as the one you've got is fine and getting a phone you want that just happens to have a bigger screen.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i like the current size of the iphone. i wouldn't like it any bigger really. if they covered the full front of the phone with a screen (ie. the bits that currently have the button and speaker/camera) then it would be a bigger screen without compromising on handset size

without seeing the actual item it's hard to say
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Apple are good at trying to sell their next product while the last one is barely out.And I was never that impressed with the Iphone screen anyway.
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    Apple are good at trying to sell their next product while the last one is barely out

How?

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I'm not convinced. That would probably mean another resolution as well for the screen and apps etc. If it does get bigger (and I imagine it will) I can't see it being more than a 4 inch screen.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    The iphone 4s screen looks poor next to my galaxy s2 oled . Small and full of classic LCD haze. They had to do something about it.

I also read ages ago people knew apple was in talks with Samsung and LG about larger old and flexible screens etc.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    I'd piss myself laughing if it also included support for Flash :D
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    paul2307 wrote: »
    I'd piss myself laughing if it also included support for Flash :D

If it does its because apple will have invented it.......:D
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing at 1280 X 960 using that new LG OLED screen.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    dontpannic wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

I'm an iPhone fan. I have an iPhone 4S. I can outrightly state that the size of my phone's display is perfect. Wether the next iPhone will have a 4.6" display or not is a moot point, as my decision isn't just based on the size of a screen. If I end up with a phone with a screen that size I'll say its too big.

Any other sweeping generalisations you want to make before the door hits you on the way out?

:D size of your screen is perfect but the size of the next iphone screen is a moot point :confused:

So you would buy a phone with a screen that size even if you dont want it? because its an iphone.

Seems I was right to make a generalisation with you then
  • Options
    dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    :D size of your screen is perfect but the size of the next iphone screen is a moot point :confused:

So you would buy a phone with a screen that size even if you dont want it? because its an iphone.

Seems I was right to make a generalisation with you then

Please tell me where I said that? If you were to actually READ my post you will see:
    Wether the next iPhone will have a 4.6" display or not is a moot point, as my decision isn't just based on the size of a screen.

But obviously as you have a vendetta you blatantly ignored that post and continued to try and generalise.

Screen size is not high on my list of priorities. Storage, RAM, Processor, availability of apps, accessory compatibility etc are.
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Is someone keeping a list of these posts ;)

Feel free. My viewpoint still stands. I will always prefer a pocketable phone rather than a larger screen.

It's a shame really. The usual suspects creating another iPhone based thread when they couldn't really care less about the subject and the threads are clearly just created to stereotype and attempt to bait people.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    It won't be any bigger than 4 inch. 99% sure of that.

One hand 'useability'. Simple as that.
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope it is 4.6" will check it out if it arrives.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    i like the current size of the iphone. i wouldn't like it any bigger really. if they covered the full front of the phone with a screen (ie. the bits that currently have the button and speaker/camera) then it would be a bigger screen without compromising on handset size

without seeing the actual item it's hard to say

Good point. The 4/4S is big for a phone with only a 3.5" display due to the massive top and bottom bezels so there is plenty of scope to increase the size of the screen but not the phone.

Those who say "the screen size is perfect for my needs" are just plain wrong. They mean the phone size is perfect and the screen is usable. Same size with bigger screen means easier to use.

There is a problem for Apple and the 4:3 ratio they use compared to the 16:9 ratio used by most Android phones. If Apple go much bigger (and 4.6" would be much bigger) then the next iPhone would be very wide and one hand use would be difficult. Have you seen the picture of the LG Vu (I think thats the name) with a 5.3" 4:3 screen? It makes the Samsung Note look petite.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Good point. The 4/4S is big for a phone with only a 3.5" display due to the massive top and bottom bezels so there is plenty of scope to increase the size of the screen but not the phone.

Those who say "the screen size is perfect for my needs" are just plain wrong. They mean the phone size is perfect and the screen is usable. Same size with bigger screen means easier to use.

There is a problem for Apple and the 4:3 ratio they use compared to the 16:9 ratio used by most Android phones. If Apple go much bigger (and 4.6" would be much bigger) then the next iPhone would be very wide and one hand use would be difficult. Have you seen the picture of the LG Vu (I think thats the name) with a 5.3" 4:3 screen? It makes the Samsung Note look petite.

i just held a ruler against my iphone and from edge to edge (sideways - ie. top left to bottom right), it's exactly 4.6". normally that's how you measure screen sizes for tv's

so from what i've read before, and what would make sense logically and logistically, i think the physical size would remain the same and the screen fills the full front of the phone. they may get rid of the home button entirely or stick it on it's side. i think there was mention of removing it as a physical button, and apple have been looking at more patents for glass housed products. ie edge to edge glass

i'm not really familiar with any other phones too well as i've had the iphone4 since launch day and before that i checked out the competition and settled for the iphone4 to replace my original iphone. i've seen and played with a few android handsets but all the ones i saw were so similar i couldn't tell the differences between then to recall what i played with
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what happen to this supposed 'average pocket' when the screen gets bigger

4/3 possibly suits 3.5" and certainly does for low resolution phones a also happens for my 800X600 7" tablet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    so from what i've read before, and what would make sense logically and logistically, i think the physical size would remain the same and the screen fills the full front of the phone. they may get rid of the home button entirely or stick it on it's side. i think there was mention of removing it as a physical button, and apple have been looking at more patents for glass housed products. ie edge to edge glass

Certainly there's a growing trend to maximise the screen size, and there's room for improvement on the current iphone. However changing the aspect ratio of the screen is far more problematic than changing merely the size or resolution of the screen, and there's not much room left on the sides. Some, but not enough. New cases will be needed.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd welcome the screen being a bit larger, but as long as it doesn't make the phone itself bigger. The only way they can do that is to change the aspect ratio. But that could be problematic in itself as apps will need to be modified etc.