Petition to get Laurel and Hardy films back on TV

Comments

• drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QWERTYOP wrote: »
    Slapstick isn't really "in vogue" today. Neither are black & white films being on tv in this era of HD & 3D.

Sad but true.

i don't know about that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    They showed Laurel and Hardy films every day over the Christmas/New Year holiday on BBC2 some 2 or 3 years ago

Sadly the BBC haven't shown Laurel and Hardy since 2005.
  • STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Sadly the BBC haven't shown Laurel and Hardy since 2005.

Yes, the BBC last shown Laurel & Hardy on 25th December 2005 on BBC2 when they shown 'The Music Box'. They were showing L&H quite a lot between 2003 and 2005 with regular screenings of them in the mornings or early afternoons on BBC2.

I've emailed the BBC and asked them if they plan to show any L&H films in the near future and if they still hold the rights to show them. Will let you know if/when they reply :)
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    I like Laurel and Hardy, I like Abbott and Costello, I like Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis.

Just thinking out loud but why have I never seen Hoppalong Cassidy or Roy Rogers on TV? This needs addressing, too.
    Forum Member
    STEVE 03 wrote: »
    I've emailed the BBC and asked them if they plan to show any L&H films in the near future and if they still hold the rights to show them. Will let you know if/when they reply :)

Please no!!! :eek:

There's no need for you to step in on our behalf. If it was as simple as sending an email to the BBC, we wouldn't need this petition. We're already in direct talks with the BBC. I know exactly who owns the rights to the films and so do the BBC because I deal with them regularly and have contacts within. It will just complicate our mission if other people start contacting them about the same thing without providing them with the petition to back up the evidence that we can justify an audience. We need at least 20,000 signatures before anything will be considered. If people start sending the BBC links to our petition at this stage, it will only hinder our plight. Thanks for your kind thoughts but we're on it. All we ask is for fans of Laurel and Hardy to sign the petition. We'll take care of the rest.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member
    You might be better putting this thread in the TV section OP, although I do agree I love L&H
  • LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I for one would love to see Laurel and Hardy movies back on TV, maybe on a nostalgia channel along the lines of how Bravo used to be before Flextech went and ruined it.
    You would never guess I am a Laurel and Hardy fan would you? :D
    Forum Member
    Lushness wrote: »
    You might be better putting this thread in the TV section OP, although I do agree I love L&H

I don't think I can move it now. Unless a moderator does it for us.
    Forum Member
    I for one would love to see Laurel and Hardy movies back on TV, maybe on a nostalgia channel along the lines of how Bravo used to be before Flextech went and ruined it.
    You would never guess I am a Laurel and Hardy fan would you? :D

Our primary mission is to get them back on 'terrestrial tv' rather than a cable or sky channel. Nice to see another fan around. Are you a member of our forum? (http://LaurelAndHardyForum.com) or follow us on twitter @stan_and_ollie :)
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way Ollie used to bully and hit Stan do you think it would make it to the television un-cut these days?

It would probably have to be show post watershed along with a warning of "Contains scenes of mild violence". :rolleyes:
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to disagree with the majority here, as a kid I remember these Laurel and Hardy films and the fact that it always took them ages to do something because they were idiots and I couldn't stand watching it as the scenes went on for ages and I was thinking, "get on with it!" I for one would not be watching them if they returned to TV.
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    The way Ollie used to bully and hit Stan do you think it would make it to the television un-cut these days?

It would probably have to be show post watershed along with a warning of "Contains scenes of mild violence". :rolleyes:

Laurel and Hardy films are a whole lot less violent than cartoons like Tom and Jerry.. and consider the fact that there are murders on soaps like Emmerdale and Eastenders before the watershed and without warnings. Stan wasn't bullied by Ollie either. It's more of a 'tit for tat' style of slapstick.
    Forum Member
    scone wrote: »
    I have to disagree with the majority here, as a kid I remember these Laurel and Hardy films and the fact that it always took them ages to do something because they were idiots and I couldn't stand watching it as the scenes went on for ages and I was thinking, "get on with it!" I for one would not be watching them if they returned to TV.

We're fully aware that everyone has their own favourite brand of comedy and we respect that. Our petition is aimed at fans rather than 'non fans' of Laurel and Hardy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're fully aware that everyone has their own favourite brand of comedy and we respect that. Our petition is aimed at fans rather than 'non fans' of Laurel and Hardy.

Well duh, that's obvious, so what you're saying is I can't come into this topic and say they were not my cup of tea because it's only for people to kiss their asses in. It's pretty obvious I won't be signing a petition to get this back on the TV, so why point the obvious out? Everyone else knows :D

P,S. Who are we? Are you taking on Stan and Ollie's personas?
    Forum Member
    so what you're saying is I can't come into this topic and say they were not my cup of tea because it's only for people to kiss their asses in. I

I didn't say that. I merely responded to your comment. Let me repeat what I said to you... "We're fully aware that everyone has their own favourite brand of comedy and we respect that."
    Who are we? Are you taking on Stan and Ollie's personas?

Nope! I'm admin/founder of the Laurel and Hardy Forum and when I say 'we' I am referring to our members. Sounds like you have a bee in your bonnet buddy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't say that. I merely responded to your comment.

Nope! I'm admin/founder of the Laurel and Hardy Forum and when I say 'we' I am referring to our members .

Ok, I'm going to be quiet now, because me replying is keeping this topic up the top and I would rather forget the painful memories of having to sit through their nonsense.
    Forum Member
    Ok, I'm going to be quiet now, because me replying is keeping this topic up the top and I would rather forget the painful memories of having to sit through their nonsense.

Each to their own. Bye now.
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good point. They were idiots and took too long to do things.

Just think how much better that scene from Sons of the Desert would have been if instead of clambering over the seats in the meeting they had just walked in sensibly and sat down.

That would have been hilarious.
  • STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Please no!!! :eek:

There's no need for you to step in on our behalf. If it was as simple as sending an email to the BBC, we wouldn't need this petition. We're already in direct talks with the BBC. I know exactly who owns the rights to the films and so do the BBC because I deal with them regularly and have contacts within. It will just complicate our mission if other people start contacting them about the same thing without providing them with the petition to back up the evidence that we can justify an audience. We need at least 20,000 signatures before anything will be considered. If people start sending the BBC links to our petition at this stage, it will only hinder our plight. Thanks for your kind thoughts but we're on it. All we ask is for fans of Laurel and Hardy to sign the petition. We'll take care of the rest.

Sorry mate I didn't mean to step onto anyone's toes :) but surely the more requests/complaints the BBC gets regarding showing Laurel & Hardy, they will eventually show them.

But speaking as a huge fan of L&H (I've been a member of the Helpmates UK tent for several years, I know how important it is to get them back on terrestrial TV. I was gutted when I noticed at Christmas BBC2 shown an Abbott and Costello comedy (it was A&C Meet Captain Kidd). Ok it was scheduled in a late night slot (very odd scheduling I thought!), but it would have been perfect if they were to show a L&H film in a simillar slot or anywhere in the Christmas schedules.

As I said though with BBC2 soon to be showing old b/w films every Saturday and Sunday morning starting from Sat 5th Jan, there is a slim chance they may show some rare classics including (and hopefully) some Laurel & Hardy. Fingers crossed :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good point. They were idiots and took too long to do things.

Just think how much better that scene from Sons of the Desert would have been if instead of clambering over the seats in the meeting they had just walked in sensibly and sat down.

That would have been hilarious.

Hahahaha oh my sides have just split. Don't know what scene you were talking about as I'm not a laurel and hardy buff like yourself, but it sounds painful viewing.
  • djc45djc45 Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Signed
    :-)
    Forum Member
    STEVE 03 wrote: »
    Sorry mate I didn't mean to step onto anyone's toes :) but surely the more requests/complaints the BBC gets regarding showing Laurel & Hardy, they will eventually show them.

But speaking as a huge fan of L&H (I've been a member of the Helpmates UK tent for several years, I know how important it is to get them back on terrestrial TV. I was gutted when I noticed at Christmas BBC2 shown an Abbott and Costello comedy (it was A&C Meet Captain Kidd). Ok it was scheduled in a late night slot (very odd scheduling I thought!), but it would have been perfect if they were to show a L&H film in a simillar slot or anywhere in the Christmas schedules.

As I said though with BBC2 soon to be showing old b/w films every Saturday and Sunday morning starting from Sat 5th Jan, there is a slim chance they may show some rare classics including (and hopefully) some Laurel & Hardy. Fingers crossed :)

No worries and thanks again for your support :)
    Forum Member
    Hahahaha oh my sides have just split. Don't know what scene you were talking about as I'm not a laurel and hardy buff like yourself, but it sounds painful viewing.

Why don't you just move on to another topic instead of trolling this one?
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand the passion that L&H fans have, but even they will understand that it's very much a minority of the BBC's viewership who like them.

I'm a fan, but I don't march on Broadcasting House demanding that a major broadcaster only show films that I like, especially when all Stan and Ollie's work is available on DVD, I've got the Box Set, I can watch them when I want .

Mate, buy the Box Set, which you've probably got, haven't you ?
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a big shame BBC Two stopped showing Laurel and Hardy as a new generation won't get to see their material.