Options

Why did The Doctor change the TARDIS interior before the 2005 series?

Matt_1979Matt_1979 Posts: 226
Forum Member
I have often wondered what the on-screen reasons were for the radical change in the TARDIS's appearance at the start of the 2005 series. I don't think I ever remember The Doctor explaining the change. I just thought it looked so much more weirder and even more "alien" than the interior designs in the classic series.

The 1996 TV Movie TARDIS interior seemed bizarre - where did all those rooms suddenly come from? Especially the one that looked like the living room of a large mansion - never seen since.

Comments

• Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt_1979 wrote: »
    I have often wondered what the on-screen reasons were for the radical change in the TARDIS's appearance at the start of the 2005 series. I don't think I ever remember The Doctor explaining the change. I just thought it looked so much more weirder and even more "alien" than the interior designs in the classic series.

The 1996 TV Movie TARDIS interior seemed bizarre - where did all those rooms suddenly come from? Especially the one that looked like the living room of a large mansion - never seen since.

The changes were probably results of The Time War. He probably jettisoned the extra Victorianesque rooms sometime during The Time War in order to make The TARDIS sleeker, simpler and more functional as a war machine.

After The Time War, the interior may have been changed to the funky form which we saw with Eccleston as part of his post-genocide emo phase. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He probably didn't want to look at the room he thought he'd used to commit genocide.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »
    The changes were probably results of The Time War. He probably jettisoned the extra Victorianesque rooms sometime during The Time War in order to make The TARDIS sleeker, simpler and more functional as a war machine.

After The Time War, the interior may have been changed to the funky form which we saw with Eccleston as part of his post-genocide emo phase. :)

Good points. For some reason I didn't think of the Time War.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rwebster wrote: »
    He probably didn't want to look at the room he thought he'd used to commit genocide.

I agree. I hadn't taken the Time War into consideration, I don't think it was ever said why the TARDIS had such a radically different appearance in the TV Movie, though.
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a bigger budget available for the sets in 2005 than 1989. The original sets were either unusable or destroyed. Made sense to build a bigger and better set.
  • Options
    Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. I hadn't taken the Time War into consideration, I don't think it was ever said why the TARDIS had such a radically different appearance in the TV Movie, though.
    There are several accounts.

1. It was a secondary console room just like Tom Baker's wooden one.
    2. The Doctor built it himself rather than the TARDIS constructing it.
    3. It was created when the Doctor's TARDIS fused with a section of his families home estate.

The 3rd version has been used in book, audio and comic, so I guess that's the most canonical of the 3.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Why does The Doctor ever change the interior ? The Tardis rebuilt itself after crashing at the end of the tenth's regeneration but there was no explaination as to why it changed again as we saw it in "The Snowmen". The real reason of course was that the origional sets were long destroyed, the Movie set was in Canada and anyway was far too big for the new series to use and the latest set was rebuilt when a new studio came into use.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never really given it much thought tbh. The Tardis interior has always changed from time to time throughout the years but seemed to stall from 1978 - 89 and remain largely unchanged.

if i had to think of a reason, i think that the Tardis got slowly dilapidated (walls with roundels damaged or removed to reveal the coral structure) and the Doctor just didn't have time to fix it, being last of the time lords trying single handedly to maintain the equilibrium of the universe took all his time.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Why does The Doctor ever change the interior ? The Tardis rebuilt itself after crashing at the end of the tenth's regeneration but there was no explaination as to why it changed again as we saw it in "The Snowmen". The real reason of course was that the origional sets were long destroyed, the Movie set was in Canada and anyway was far too big for the new series to use and the latest set was rebuilt when a new studio came into use.

I just put it down to the fact that after Amy and Rory were taken back to the 1930s by the Weeping Angels, the Doctor couldn't bare to look at the Orangey console room anymore. He would always be sad, as the Orangey console room would remind him of his days with the Ponds, every time he was in there.

So he radically changed it, to look more Timelordish, as it did in the days of Doctor's 1-7.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    Why do you redecorate your home? Sometimes you get fed up with the look and want a change. He had the orange look for over 200 years as 11, perhaps he wanted a change. Same for 2005, new Doctor, new personality, maybe he wanted something a bit different to the one from the Time War.

For the TV movie, well we've seen libraries and been told of swimming pools etc in the TARDIS, perhaps at that time he felt like living more around the centre of the TARDIS instead of off in a living room somewhere. No reason to believe he doesn't have a living room somewhere.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    In the original days - the Tardis had a whole wall of computers, complete with 'Fault-Locator', a corridor with a settee and food machine, and bedrooms (The Daleks). Later stories all that disappeared - and the roundelled walls took over again. To be honest, it seemed to vary from story to story! Jon Pertwee had a white bedroom suite - with a bed that slid out from the walls - in the console room! (MFI or IKEA??)
    Pat Troughton had a 'Power Room' just off from the control room in The Mind Robber.

Suppose they just adapted it to what the writers put in the script!!
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the original days - the Tardis had a whole wall of computers, complete with 'Fault-Locator', a corridor with a settee and food machine, and bedrooms (The Daleks). Later stories all that disappeared - and the roundelled walls took over again. To be honest, it seemed to vary from story to story! Jon Pertwee had a white bedroom suite - with a bed that slid out from the walls - in the console room! (MFI or IKEA??)
    Pat Troughton had a 'Power Room' just off from the control room in The Mind Robber.

Well, that's it exactly!
    Terry Nation seemed to delight in writing stuff in his scripts that would require a remodeling of the TARDIS. Planet Of The Daleks sees the aforementioned MFI cupboards and pull out bed, (but also we have the totally bizarre notion that if the outside of the TARDIS is blocked up then all the air runs out. And the Doctor has one small air cylinder with which to refill the whole TARDIS with air... What, exactly, does the TARDIS do in Space? How come it doesn't run out of air there...? )

In Death To The Daleks the power drain means that the doors need to be opened by a previously unknown about crank handle.

And in The Android Invasion there's a new capability that makes the TARDIS move on all by itself to it's programmed destination if you just put the key in the lock. A bafflingly stupid idea, but then this is a Terry Nation script...
  • Options
    Forum Member

This is fascinating - I had no idea there were all these rooms in the early series, although I haven't seen many Hartnell episodes.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    This is fascinating - I had no idea there were all these rooms in the early series, although I haven't seen many Hartnell episodes.

Oh yes Matt! LOADS of areas in the old days! As time went on - the Tardis Control Room shrunk (probably BBC budget! ;-)) and by the time Tom Baker and Peter Davison took over, it was just a BIG ROOM with a side door! (which lead to 'anywhere!')
    Even the scanner was closed to save CSO usage!!! (FACT!) :)

Modern day Tardis is quite good - I love that modern retro-look from the 70's! - got the (almost) original console back and a few computers thrown around!:p
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heck, if you watch The Invasion of Time, you will see that there is an amazingly large complex of rooms, swimming pools, stairs, etc. in the Tardis. It is awesome. I wish that there were more episodes in there. :)
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    Heck, if you watch The Invasion of Time, you will see that there is an amazingly large complex of rooms, swimming pools, stairs, etc. in the Tardis. It is awesome. I wish that there were more episodes in there. :)

It is awesome to think about, but sadly the on screen realisation of all that space inside the TARDIS in Invasion Of Time was pretty poor. It was rather sad that no effort was made to disguise the fact that a disused Hospital was used as the TARDIS interior, and no effort was made to match the studio sets to the location work.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember that it didn't change from TV Movie to 2005.

There was a transition period during the Time War. :)
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Remember that it didn't change from TV Movie to 2005.

There was a transition period during the Time War. :)

I love that console room.

I've just set that picture as my wallpaper and it looks brilliant!
  • Options
    WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The TVM/nu Who version is the tertiary console room.
  • Options
    mccolloughmccollough Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    Willpurry wrote: »
    The TVM/nu Who version is the tertiary console room.

Source? Where'd you get that from? Or is it a fan theory? Everything stated in the programme particularly JTTCOTT would seem to suggest it's the main console room.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh yes Matt! LOADS of areas in the old days! As time went on - the Tardis Control Room shrunk (probably BBC budget! ;-)) and by the time Tom Baker and Peter Davison took over, it was just a BIG ROOM with a side door! (which lead to 'anywhere!')
    Even the scanner was closed to save CSO usage!!! (FACT!) :)

Modern day Tardis is quite good - I love that modern retro-look from the 70's! - got the (almost) original console back and a few computers thrown around!:p

I agree about the modern day appearance. As I have seen more Tom Baker stories from the original series compared to any other Doctor, I only really know the "big room".
  • Options
    inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd always assume that since we didn't see the full outcome of the War Doctor's regeneration, it ended up having a similar effect to Tennant's, with the excess energy destroying the TARDIS and prompting a rebuild.
  • Options
    PobattiPobatti Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    I'd always assume that since we didn't see the full outcome of the War Doctor's regeneration, it ended up having a similar effect to Tennant's, with the excess energy destroying the TARDIS and prompting a rebuild.

It's possible Eccleston's Doctor didn't share Tennant's or Smith's Doctor's love of the round things. He might have rejigged the room more to his tastes, then when the Tenth Doctor came along he simply didn't get the opportunity nor the inspiration to put them back up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    Well, that's it exactly!
    Terry Nation seemed to delight in writing stuff in his scripts that would require a remodeling of the TARDIS. Planet Of The Daleks sees the aforementioned MFI cupboards and pull out bed, (but also we have the totally bizarre notion that if the outside of the TARDIS is blocked up then all the air runs out. And the Doctor has one small air cylinder with which to refill the whole TARDIS with air... What, exactly, does the TARDIS do in Space? How come it doesn't run out of air there...? )

In Death To The Daleks the power drain means that the doors need to be opened by a previously unknown about crank handle.

And in The Android Invasion there's a new capability that makes the TARDIS move on all by itself to it's programmed destination if you just put the key in the lock. A bafflingly stupid idea, but then this is a Terry Nation script...

That cracked me up when I first saw it. This is one of the most powerful and advanced machines in history, and its backup system is crank-based? Like really?
  • Options
    PobattiPobatti Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Mrfipp wrote: »
    That cracked me up when I first saw it. This is one of the most powerful and advanced machines in history, and its backup system is crank-based? Like really?

It always comes down to good old cranks :)

It doesn't matter how many backup plans you have, they could all fail. What if every bit of advanced technology that operated the door failed? You'd be locked inside forever if you didn't have a crank-based last resort.