Reported on BBC - more from Stephen Moffat interviewed at Edinburgh Festival

Not too much but slightly intersting

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7579332.stm

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the link:)
    Now if he can just get Peter Jackson and a LOTR type budget for a definitive Time War movie, ( Preferably one where DT has to go back to it and some Timelords survive)
    Just so it's not too fanw@nky:p;)
  • JessicaLJessicaL Posts: 3,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep was just reading that :)

Agree about the older Doctor -a 60 year old playing the Doctor -don't think the audience would want that at all.
    That said important not to go the other way also I think ...don't think the audience would want a Doctor too young either ..important to have a Doctor with authority and character not a youth ..

Like the idea of Who going to the big screen -surely a lot of budget would be be needed though that might affect the regular series not that I know anything about these things :D..
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Well Trek used to be able to make movies while having TWO TV series on the air....

Maybe they could make a movie with a seperate production team and set it with Doctor 11 or an unseen story from Doctor 9 or something so it wouldn't adversly affect the story of the TV show?

(I'm sure Eccleston would come rushing back for a film... ;) )

Lets face it, the Christmas specials are pretty much standalone TV Movies with little relevance to the on-going story.
    All you have to do was increase the scope and budget of one of them and you'd have something worthy of the big screen.
    (Though Voyage of the Damned comes close even as it is....which is quite impressive really ;) )
  • Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JessicaL wrote: »
    Yep was just reading that :)

Agree about the older Doctor -a 60 year old playing the Doctor -don't think the audience would want that at all.
    That said important not to go the other way also I think ...don't think the audience would want a Doctor too young either ..important to have a Doctor with authority and character not a youth ..

Like the idea of Who going to the big screen -surely a lot of budget would be be needed though that might affect the regular series not that I know anything about these things :D..

The question of a film has been around since prior to the TV Series coming back and was a serious contender. In fact it did hold up the series returning and IIRC Lorraine Heggesey literally told BBC Films that she was going ahead with a new series regardless of what they thought or did.

I don't think the question of the film has ever been dropped, just never pursued while the TV series was re-establishing itself.

I also suspect that it would be funded from different sources to the TV series. However it would need to be very carefully planned and scripted. You can't just be independent of the TV series but at the same time it should not be too reliant. Should it star the current incumbent of the role and companions would be the big question.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The question of a film has been around since prior to the TV Series coming back and was a serious contender. In fact it did hold up the series returning and IIRC Lorraine Heggesey literally told BBC Films that she was going ahead with a new series regardless of what they thought or did.

I don't think the question of the film has ever been dropped, just never pursued while the TV series was re-establishing itself.

I also suspect that it would be funded from different sources to the TV series. However it would need to be very carefully planned and scripted. You can't just be independent of the TV series but at the same time it should not be too reliant. Should it star the current incumbent of the role and companions would be the big question.

Now you see this is what worries me -that it would go to someone like Sony or Universal and they having no previous connection,understanding or comittment to the show could totally ruin the brand in one stroke.Hope we can trust the bbc not to mess up -they've done great so far i'm sure we can.:)

As for the stars i'd like it to be David Tennant and John Simm myself -make it connected to the tv series to get the audience hooked and wanting to watch the tv series to see the aftermath of the story develop ..
    -add Spielberg directing and you would have something pretty special I think.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have no problem with the BBC pursuing a film project as long as it isn't made to pander to the American market..that is where it went wrong last time. put a great British actor in the lead role, American companion and a story that was pretty lame that was too US-centric. They need to retain the qualities of what makes the series so unique and loved worldwide which is quintessentially British.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is worrying - however being positive, I hope Moffatt is involved in any film.

The problem with 1996 is that the main runner, Phillip Segal was a fan but he was so desperate for it to be made he agreed to virtually everything that was demanded by Stateside.

13 years on things are different. The show is no longer in the wild and is working with a proven, award winning formula. There is no need to make the sort of changes that were forced on Segal in 1995.

Whether the BBC is strong enough to stand up to any applied pressures is of course another matter.

As for the NOTW article, once again they are saying it's David's last - it maybe but I am very cynical when that sort of news is buried in another story. Sorry but the news of DT's departure is much bigger than shooting a couple of stories in another country for whatever reason. And that famous, sometime reliable and sometimes unreliable BBC Source, is back again.

I smell speculation on the part of Mr Wootton.
  • FATCHOPSFATCHOPS Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reported on BBC - more from Stephen Moffat interviewed at Edinburgh Festival

Not too much but slightly intersting

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7579332.stm

I know this will annoy some people, but a Time War movie could be brilliant. Paul McGann as the Doctor having to sacrifice The Time Lords to save everything, then regenerating into CE.

Also wouldn't this be the only real justification for a good multi Doctor story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FATCHOPS wrote: »
    I know this will annoy some people, but a Time War movie could be brilliant. Paul McGann as the Doctor having to sacrifice The Time Lords to save everything, then regenerating into CE.

Also wouldn't this be the only real justification for a good multi Doctor story.

Oh dear i'm not likeing the sound of these specials one bit The Doctor in the US -David leaving -and a big name US actress -all sounds a disaster for the show :(.

I'd be so sad if David was leaving I so want SM to have gave him the scripts and new characters so strong and exciting he had the confidence to go for the Tom Baker record for longest running Doctor -hopefully he has :).

and as for a US actress and location -hate the idea totally -no way will it work ..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could be wrong, but isn't there a rule that all DW stories have to be shown on TV first, before going to cinemas, I think it was some thing about public paying for show. I can't remember it fully, though I'm sure I read it on here a while back.
  • Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The TV Movie was okay, but the main problem was that no-one cared / believed the risk of the world ending.

I think it is a good idea to have 2 of the specials in the US, with more money coming in from foreign backers, the series can be longer and better.

Imagine - the daleks in Manhattan!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:eek::cry::eek::cry::eek::mad::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The TV Movie was okay, but the main problem was that no-one cared / believed the risk of the world ending.

I think it is a good idea to have 2 of the specials in the US, with more money coming in from foreign backers, the series can be longer and better.

Sorry never liked that episode -did not work at all well in my opinion :(.
    -I honestly hate this idea and and am concerned for the show if this article is true.My hope is I honestly can't see this being true at all as the whole New Who brand has been built around the shows English feel and I can't believe David will leave-not for a few years yet - still loads for 10 to do.
    Also don't believe RTD would think he could take away the English feel of the show and not have a very negative impact ..

The more I think about it this article must surely be rubbish ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

well they have been there twice now..perhaps they like shopping.:D
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Curious about the American thing - the bit about Moffat developing a film is obviously a bit of bendy-wendy truth/untruth twisted from SM at Edinburgh but the US filming is not something I've heard hint of before. The nearest was someone mentioning that they were scouting out some old Eastern Bloc locations for proposed filming.
  • BertypopBertypop Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JessicaL wrote: »
    Sorry never liked that episode -did not work at all well in my opinion :(.
    -I honestly hate this idea and and am concerned for the show if this article is true.My hope is I honestly can't see this being true at all as the whole New Who brand has been built around the shows English feel and I can't believe David will leave-not for a few years yet - still loads for 10 to do.
    Also don't believe RTD would think he could take away the English feel of the show and not have a very negative impact ..

The more I think about it this article must surely be rubbish ..

I can't imagine that RTD will give a fig about about taking away the English feel of the show. For the last few years the series has been a Welsh/English hybrid - what's to stop him from doing a Welsh/American hybrid?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bertypop wrote: »
    I can't imagine that RTD will give a fig about about taking away the English feel of the show. For the last few years the series has been a Welsh/English hybrid - what's to stop him from doing a Welsh/American hybrid?

Well seeing that RTD has had the Master kill the president, turned Americans into fat babies, has had Harriet Jones defy the American president....I feel that he doesn't have much love for the Americans;)....only kidding:D....

I think that as this is from the NOTW, the chances of any of it being true are small....so there no point in trying to speculate whether Paris Hilton will be the next President....I mean Companion....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bertypop wrote: »

Sorry there is a total difference between Welsh/US.. one is keeping a UK connection and UK Culture one is taking the show to another culture and away from the whole essence New Who has been built on :).

-i'd honestly be so shocked and disappointed if RTD and DT who have in their respective Who roles read New Who and it's audience so perfectly till now and have a genuine understanding and affection for the show have agreed to this.I just hate to think of lovely Doctor 10 going so soon when theres still loads to be done ..and with such a risky marmite scenario.I can't believe this is true it just makes no sense.All that said hopefully it's just NOTW rubbish and i'm concerned for no reason ..have just got my DW magazine and DW s4 companion magazine -they are showing beautifully what New Who is about in my opinion - strong characters and stories not US characters and locations ..:)