LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    Some people have been speculating that it's because of the warranty issues. If it breaks, Google refer you to LG and LG refer you to Google. Its as if they don't want to be responsible for it after sale.

If it breaks through no fault of your own then it's up to whoever sold you the phone to fix it.
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    If it breaks through no fault of your own then it's up to whoever sold you the phone to fix it.

Try telling the big G that.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something strange going on. Anyone got this happening on their N4? facebook build? It's not the app because i tried uninstalling the app and still had this happening.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59917354/Screenshot_2013-03-15-00-57-25.png

Just keeps doing this. Like it's downloading it, but doesn't finish. Tried to stop the process but it comes back again. Any ideas?
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Hmm that's odd! Never seen that before.

Apparently connect to WiFi and let it finish downloading then deleting it in downloads folder will stop it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's stopped, when I connected to wifi. I was on 3G during the day when i was at work, and it kept doing that. Not that the 3G was slow, was getting my usual 5-14mbps there abouts and it wouldn't finish. Just connected to wifi a little while ago at home, and its gone. But what the hell is it? There is some facebook integration on the N4 I guess? as it looks like something that's in the system.

Anyways it's gone now. Was getting annoying as it kept doing that. Relieved it's gone now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bloodyhell! seems others have had this happen too on different phones. Yeah seems turning wifi on does the trick.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-droid-dna/260794-facebook-build-141046-notification-bar.html
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    Something strange going on. Anyone got this happening on their N4? facebook build?
    Facebook is skipping the Play store, so watch out for a rapid increase malware masquerading as a non Play store Facebook update.

With Facebook's integration deal with Apple maybe this is a way to integrate into Android without any such deal, or safeguards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Facebook is skipping the Play store, so watch out for a rapid increase malware masquerading as a non Play store Facebook update.

With Facebook's integration deal with Apple maybe this is a way to integrate into Android without any such deal, or safeguards.

I've no idea but I just found that pretty weird.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no idea but I just found that pretty weird.

I quite imagine Facebook is about to to Kindle-ise Android devices, App stores, the lot.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »

Skipping the play store?
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Now back in stock - presumably a glitch in the matrix...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    " It also raises questions about security: if Facebook can skip Google Play to update its app, what's stopping a malicious developer from circumventing Google Play's built-in virus scanner?"

Almost my very first thoughts too. Sends out a bad confusing message.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Verge are now reporting that only a small number of users are being prompted for the update, allowing Facebook to beta test new features before rolling them out to everyone via the Google Play store.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Wallpaper. I know I like changing things up often. Can't help it!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59917354/Screenshot_2013-03-16-00-25-11.png

It's a live wallpaper called Bare Metal. The clock and date widgets are from an app called minimalistic text. Hard to show it on a static image, but the wallpaper shimmers and reflects as you tilt and move the phone around. You would see what I mean when you install the app. Nice effect and looks great on the Nexus screen!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh forgot to mention, the power controls at the top, it's called power toggles. It has the transparency turned right down to zero. Also running Apex launcher with 1 screen and a sliding icon dock.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Has anyone found any funky nexus 4 covers ? My 14 year old daughter wants something a bit "bling" :o
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Has anyone found any funky nexus 4 covers ? My 14 year old daughter wants something a bit "bling" :o

Yes, I found a few that were more girly/shiny shiny on Amazon. I got a nice purple silicon one on there. One that caught my eye came in several colours and looked like it had water drops on it.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Yes, I found a few that were more girly/shiny shiny on Amazon. I got a nice purple silicon one on there. One that caught my eye came in several colours and looked like it had water drops on it.

Cheers :) will have a nosey. Its one of the few things I like about the apple world - the sheer volume of accessories !
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I've just joined the Nexus 4 clan. Mine arrived in the post today. I haven't been able to put it down. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just joined the Nexus 4 clan. Mine arrived in the post today. I haven't been able to put it down. :D

Great phone right? Aren't you just amazed how snappy everything is? Well it was for me, coming off a Desire HD. I totally skipped the dual core phones, so it was a pretty big step up for me.

Anyways have fun with it! I would recommend putting Apex launcher on it, it's very good and gives you greater customization options without being so resource hungry.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people have been speculating that it's because of the warranty issues. If it breaks, Google refer you to LG and LG refer you to Google. Its as if they don't want to be responsible for it after sale.

When I called google, they passed me to LG UK who were fine with doing the repair.
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    When I called google, they passed me to LG UK who were fine with doing the repair.

I was talking about the bumper.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have any of you guys unlocked your bootloaders and flashed different ROMs? The first thing I did with mine after unpacking it was to unlock it as I knew that I wouldn’t last long on stock and the unlock process wipes your storage clean.

At the moment I am running Paranoid Android as I like the fact you can tabletise the phone and push the notification bar down with the virtual buttons (or get rid of both if you want), it help maximise the screen usage.

I have also installed Faux kernel. This was a must really as the stock colour calibration is way out. Now I have tweaked it I am very happy with the screen. The battery life is also better than on stock as well. Compared to my Galaxy Nexus I get through a day now without any issues.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Great phone right? Aren't you just amazed how snappy everything is? Well it was for me, coming off a Desire HD. I totally skipped the dual core phones, so it was a pretty big step up for me.

Anyways have fun with it! I would recommend putting Apex launcher on it, it's very good and gives you greater customization options without being so resource hungry.

Absolutely. I've come straight from a Huawei G300 so I've skipped dual core phones too. It's such a big jump. Even with all my apps and games on it, it runs like a beauty.

I've never tried out the Apex launcher, I've always used Go Launcher EX. How do they compare?
    finbaar wrote: »
    Have any of you guys unlocked your bootloaders and flashed different ROMs? The first thing I did with mine after unpacking it was to unlock it as I knew that I wouldn’t last long on stock and the unlock process wipes your storage clean.

At the moment I am running Paranoid Android as I like the fact you can tabletise the phone and push the notification bar down with the virtual buttons (or get rid of both if you want), it help maximise the screen usage.

I have also installed Faux kernel. This was a must really as the stock colour calibration is way out. Now I have tweaked it I am very happy with the screen. The battery life is also better than on stock as well. Compared to my Galaxy Nexus I get through a day now without any issues.

The first thing I did was root mine too, though I haven't loaded any custom ROMS on there yet. I wanted access to apps like Titanium Backup and DataSync which of course aren't available on non-rooted phones. I can't imagine not rooting my Android devices now.