Diarrhea - what foods to eat?

oatstieoatstie Posts: 562
Forum Member
✭✭
My partner and I went for a pub meal last night and we both had a mixed grill. Unfortunately we've both had terrible diarrhea last night and this morning (:eek:) so there was obviously something not right with the food.
We've been drinking lots of water but haven't eaten anything so far this morning but despite feeling bad I'm starting to feel quite hungry now. Can anyone advise what type of foods I'm best eating at the moment until this diarrhea has passed through the system? I'm thinking of having something like scrambled egg on toast - is that a good idea? The last thing I want to do is to make it worse. :cry:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    I would say definitely toast, but make the eggs hard boiled instead of scrambled. They're more 'binding' that way. Or a banana.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dry toast
    plenty of water to stop yourself getting dehydrated
  • mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try crackers, either dry or with not too much butter, or cracker bread, which I use as an altenative to toast if i'm feeling abit delicate with ibs.

Also, you could have ginger biscuits, they help with nausea and cramps, and are also a good snack.
  • LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stay away from dairy.

And do remember to write a nice letter to the pub, informing them of your ailment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Banana's! 100 percent! Works everytime! Google it!
  • SmithmanSmithman Posts: 6,184
    Forum Member
    Mashed bananas or grated apple. Flat coca cola is supposed to be good as well.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    When I was overseas working in North Africa and got a dose to end all doses, the local doctor told me to eat (soft and unused) toilet paper with salty water. There were no drugs available, and it worked. Lots of fibre and salts to stop dehydration. The end results were interesting (the loo paper was pink!!!)
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A strong curry from a dodgy take away or prunes.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arrowroot biscuits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with those who said toast and bananas.

When I have an upset stomach both of those things work wonders!
  • oatstieoatstie Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the advice from everybody.

I've decided to try plain toast and a bit of grated apple to begin with. I've heard the grated apple thing before and someone mentioned it here. Why is a mashed banana supposed to be better than unmashed though? Either way, we don't have any bananas so the apple will have to do instead. If this meal doesn't go too badly then I might do some egg later, but I don't like them boiled. :(
    When I was overseas working in North Africa and got a dose to end all doses, the local doctor told me to eat (soft and unused) toilet paper with salty water. There were no drugs available, and it worked. Lots of fibre and salts to stop dehydration. The end results were interesting (the loo paper was pink!!!)

What the heck? You ate pink toilet paper... and it worked? :eek:
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oatstie wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice from everybody.

I've decided to try plain toast and a bit of grated apple to begin with. I've heard the grated apple thing before and someone mentioned it here. Why is a mashed banana supposed to be better than unmashed though? Either way, we don't have any bananas so the apple will have to do instead. If this meal doesn't go too badly then I might do some egg later, but I don't like them boiled. :(

What the heck? You ate pink toilet paper... and it worked? :eek:

Try poaching...the thing about scrambled is that introduces dairy which should be avoided...don't fry whatever you do...its possible the fat in the mixed grill is in part responsible for making it worse.

Hope you feel better soon :)
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat cola does work to ease symptoms of nausea anyway. A friend used to drink lots of it while undergoing cancer treatment..
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another day, another shit-related drama for poor oatstie :(

Might I suggest that you and the wife give this type of thing a miss for the foreseeable.
  • tynka belltynka bell Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    B.R.A.T. diet .. Bananas, Rice, Apple [puree] or Toast (dry). As someone else said either 'full fat' coke or lemonade, but make sure it's completely flat, no fizz.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just make sure to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated since you lose a large amount of water that would otherwise be reabsorbed in your intestine.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oatstie wrote: »
    Can anyone advise what type of foods I'm best eating at the moment until this diarrhea has passed through the system? I'm thinking of having something like scrambled egg on toast - is that a good idea? The last thing I want to do is to make it worse. :cry:

I would say you can eat anything except the same meal at the same pub. Why should this be an issue anyway?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tynka bell wrote: »
    B.R.A.T. diet .. Bananas, Rice, Apple [puree] or Toast (dry). As someone else said either 'full fat' coke or lemonade, but make sure it's completely flat, no fizz.

I've heard adding salt to coke (or lemondae I suppose:confused:) will ensure it is flat enough to drink.

I must admit I have never been brave enough to try. Just the thought makes me feel sick.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Hope you feel better soon oatsie :( Better stick to things like toast and crackers until your tummys more settled:)
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    Gastroenterologist I had to see freaked out at the BRAT diet, mostly because apples are very high in fructose and irritate the gut and bowel even more.
    She said bananas and dry toast fine, avoid apples in any form. Hope you feel better.
  • oatstieoatstie Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update:- We're both feeling quite a bit better now and the runs have slowed down quite significantly as the afternoon's gone on. The missus is cooking us some rice to have for evening meal.

Thanks for the advice folks! :)
  • michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear that. Fortunately most food poisoning passes quite quicky.

Diarohea causes rapid and sever lose of body water, so the most important thing is to drinkplenty of water during and for a little while after. Oral rehydration salts can help to replenish the lost electrolytes, but if you are otherwise healthy then they will fix themselves in a day or so, so plain water can be sufficient.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To get rid of any stomach bugs, make up some ginger tea...using fresh ginger...