First Tablet advice and information.

123keithy123123keithy123 Posts: 351
Forum Member
Hi guys and girls....

Just need some advice on what tablet to get.

I am looking into purchasing my first Tablet PC but haven't got the foggiest about what type of tablet I need.

I am purchasing a tablet purely for the WWE Network and Netflix viewing.

But I don't want to go out and buy a £800 tablet if a cheaper Tablet PC will do the job just as well.

in same breathe I don't want to buy a cheaper tablet if its going to freeze and what not.

Any advice would be much appreciated as you can probably tell I haven't got a clue....

All Netflix and the WWE network say is that they work on android devices,
Which to me is like well what £800 devices or £50 devices.

I don't want to overspend and end up with a £800 tablet that will do the same job as a £50 tablet and I don't want to buy a £50 tablet if its not going to do the things I need it to do.....

Ok hope someone can point me in the correct direction.

thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    I use my cheap Hudl Android tablet mostly for iPlayer and BT Sport and that is more than up to the job. Can hook it up to my big TV with HDMI or watch on its own screen.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Hi guys and girls....

Just need some advice on what tablet to get.

I am looking into purchasing my first Tablet PC but haven't got the foggiest about what type of tablet I need.

I am purchasing a tablet purely for the WWE Network and Netflix viewing.

But I don't want to go out and buy a £800 tablet if a cheaper Tablet PC will do the job just as well.

in same breathe I don't want to buy a cheaper tablet if its going to freeze and what not.

Any advice would be much appreciated as you can probably tell I haven't got a clue....

All Netflix and the WWE network say is that they work on android devices,
    Which to me is like well what £800 devices or £50 devices.

I don't want to overspend and end up with a £800 tablet that will do the same job as a £50 tablet and I don't want to buy a £50 tablet if its not going to do the things I need it to do.....

Ok hope someone can point me in the correct direction.

thanks in advance for any replies.

You certainly dont need to spend £800 on a tablet for your needs.

A lot will depend on what size screen you want. Do you intend to watch stuff on the tablet or stream to a TV ? will you be carrying the tablet around or will it be staying at home ? If I were you I would go into a store and pick up and play with a couple of the tablets to see what size, weight, design is right for you.

Safe bets for Android devices would be:

Nexus 7
    Nexus 9
    Huldl 2
    probably the Samsung ones too but i dont have much knowledge of them
    Asus transformer series (if you like the idea of a keyboard and bigger battery)

You will also, obviously, want to look at the Apple devices too but you wont get any more functionality down that route (there is a very strong argument to say you get less functionality) and you will pay a lot more ! The fact that they have just announced the largets profits ever is a good indication that your money is going straight to profit rather than product (allegedly 40% ish).

The other alternative, if you are still unsure, might be to get a touch-screen laptop. My lad recently got an Asus laptop thats touchscreen and the screen folds back to make it tablet-esque. Thats a great bit of kit and was under £500.

or perhaps a Windows tablet. Whilst the Microsoft ones are very pricey Asus make some decent ones for much less - i'd avoid the ones that are limited to Windows RT only though.

But you really dont need to spend £800 :)
  • victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If, as it seems, you are worried about buying the wrong product then the best advice would be to do lots of research. Whilst you may get some helpful and useful advice here it usually comes from people who have a preference to either the device thay already have or one they would like or a particular slant on one manufacturers over another.

It may be best to start with what you already have as regards to computer, TV capabilities, other attached devices e.g. chromecast or Apple TV, then see what devices work best with those then look at the specifications and prices of what will work best with them. All devices will have pros and cons and price is not the main indicator of what would be best for you.

The current trend seems to me moving away from tablets to small lightweight laptops, these may suit your needs better especially if you don't have a computer with an upto date operating system.

Research, research and more research would be my best advice and as has been said you don't need to spend anywhere near £800 on whichever platform you choose.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HP has a cheap 7" Windows tablet. Being it a full Windows you can use Flash if necessary. Dell Venue Pro 8 is 8" Windows tablet. There are Linx tablets 10", I think. I don't think you can buy Windows RT tablet these days, except Surface, Nokia and some ancient ones. But avoid those, they are a dead end.
  • wilkogeoffwilkogeoff Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I bought the Linx 10" tablet at the weekend. Runs full Windows 8.1, excellent device, so far. There is a trade in offer running at the moment, and I will get £50 cashback for my old 7" tablet. Price after cashback is £109, a super bargain.

Runs well, very quick and responsive touchscreen, battery life 6 - 7 hours.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's your first tablet and you really don't want to spend a lot of money then I don't think you can go wrong with the Hudl 2. It may not be marketing leading but it isn't a low powered cheapo that will end up in the cupboard after a few weeks.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    ...probably the Samsung ones too but i dont have much knowledge of them..:)
    I quite like the Samsung tablets having set one up for my mum. There are often very good deals on previous models when they release new ones.

Key thngs to consider:
    Screen size
    Memory size
    SD card option (if required)
    Wi-fi only or wi-fi and sim
    Operating system - Apple IOS, Android or Windows
    Budget available
    + On-line reviews
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I quite like the Samsung tablets having set one up for my mum. There are often very good deals on previous models when they release new ones.

The main problem when you are looking at Samsung tablets is that they have lots of models with similar names and it is easy to get them confused.