Should the minimum wage be scrapped ?

ThinWhitePukeThinWhitePuke Posts: 358
Forum Member
Apologies if this has been done before but my pc is exceptionally slow tonight so search won't work for me.

With so many immigrants undercutting UK workers and working below minimum wage or around minimum wage should the minimum wage be scrapped to level the playing field ?

In these difficult economic times it is hard for many companies to justify £5.93 an hour for a low skilled/unskilled position plus if the minimum wage was scrapped an employer might be able to hire 2 people off the dole queue at £3 an hour as opposed to 1 person earning nearly £6 an hour.

If minimum wage is scrapped then there is more chance of English competing with immigrants,more likelyhood of companies recruiting and someone doing a 40 hour week at £3.50 an hour is still going to get double what they would get on JSA

Comments

• Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No far from being unaffordable by employers i believe the minimum wage should actually be a living wage which of course at £5.90 an hour it most certainly is not.! Before my friend got his current job he worked in a job for a while that paid £6.80 an hour which is more then the minimum wage, and he was entitiled to working tax credits as a single person with no dependants,so there even seems to be recognition by the government that the minimum wage is too little.

Basically the government are subsidising low paid employment when very possibly employers could well afford to pay a living wage.
  • alanr74alanr74 Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies if this has been done before but my pc is exceptionally slow tonight so search won't work for me.

With so many immigrants undercutting UK workers and working below minimum wage or around minimum wage should the minimum wage be scrapped to level the playing field ?

In these difficult economic times it is hard for many companies to justify £5.93 an hour for a low skilled/unskilled position plus if the minimum wage was scrapped an employer might be able to hire 2 people off the dole queue at £3 an hour as opposed to 1 person earning nearly £6 an hour.

If minimum wage is scrapped then there is more chance of English competing with immigrants,more likelyhood of companies recruiting and someone doing a 40 hour week at £3.50 an hour is still going to get double what they would get on JSA

Couldn't the employer hire them for £1.50.

Also, immigrants can't work for less than the minimum wage.
  • Analogue110Analogue110 Posts: 3,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I break my leg and it becomes infected, should I have it cut off, or try some antibiotics first.
    The point is if the minimum wage is being under cut, then that should be addressed, not reducing others to compensate
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

This can only go well.

I suspect that far less people will be going for jobs at £3 an hour, and it'll lead a race to the bottom. Why bother? Better off on benefits. And if benefits are stopped because I refuse a job, crime will pay more. If I get caught and go to prison, free food, free shelter, TV, games console for good behaviour.

Who can afford to live on such a low wage? It'll cost far more for the state to top up their wage with council tax, housing benefit, tax credits and so forth, and the tax take will also fall as they end up paying little or no tax because they'll be around the income tax threshold and National Insurance take will be minuscule.

Some people are only prepared to pay 75p an hour for "work experience", so go figure, that's what they'll do and one MP boasted during a debate about scrapping the minimum wage about how he paid around 80p an hour to one of his employees in the past. Cheap exploitation of the worst order.

If you're interested in this, read about the Employment Opportunities Act 2010, where the MP suggests that the minimum wage infringes a jobseekers human rights! Unbelievable... In 2011, we could well see the end of the minimum wage, God help us all if that happens. :(
  • Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This must be a wind up?
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No the minimum wage shouldn't be scrapped. No one can afford to live on £3.50 per hour. Except maybe a gang of illegal immigrants sharing ten to a room!

Some will not be happy until every social advancement of the last hundred years are abolished it seems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and he was entitiled to working tax credits as a single person with no dependants,so there even seems to be recognition by the government that the minimum wage is too little.

Basically the government are subsidising low paid employment when very possibly employers could well afford to pay a living wage.
    Many low paid jobs now are part time (underemployed) or jobshare, if its under 30 hours and you're single, no tax credits for you. I find it absurd how the Government considers 30 hours a week on minimum wage too little to live on but 29 hours a week isn't, at a time where people are thankful just to have any job!

If you're under 25, you don't get it regardless. Tax credits are a unfunny joke.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No far from being unaffordable by employers i believe the minimum wage should actually be a living wage which of course at £5.90 an hour it most certainly is not.! Before my friend got his current job he worked in a job for a while that paid £6.80 an hour more then the minimum wage, and he was entitiled to working tax credits as a single person with no dependants,so there even seems to be recognition by the government that the minimum wage is too little.

It depends on where you live. £6/hr goes a lot further in Hartlepool than Hamstead. Perhaps we should consider a regional minimum wage?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    No the minimum wage shouldn't be scrapped. No one can afford to live on £3.50 per hour. Except maybe a gang of illegal immigrants sharing ten to a room!

Some will not be happy until every social advancement of the last hundred years are abolished it seems.
    Some won't be happy until the poor are socially cleansed into ghettos separated from the middle and upper classes, made to work for poverty wages and exploited by both landlords and employers. Whilst benefit claimants, disabled or otherwise are left to rot.

Serious. Dead serious.
  • ThinWhitePukeThinWhitePuke Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    The lowest paid workers in society are going to be removed out of the tax system altogether so as well as being paid £5.93 an hour they will not have to pay any tax at all if they earn below a certain amount so they are not doing badly tbh.

1m out of the last 1.2m jobs created in this country went to immigrants so something needs to be done to get Brits competing with immigrants at the bottom end of the scale, we can't ban immigrants from working so we need the low paid Brits to be more realistic about their expectations and compete with the immigrants and having a free market without minimum wage and pressure from Job Centres then the Brits have more chance of a job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many low paid jobs now are part time (underemployed) or jobshare, if its under 30 hours and you're single, no tax credits for you.

If you're under 25, you don't get it regardless. Tax credits are a unfunny joke.

Does the government not offer any top ups then if you work less then 30 hours and you are single,my friend worked 37 hours a week and got a top up,if he worked less hours ie less income he would not have survived without substantial help either with rent/council tax or wages.

Yes i did know about the under 25 rule and you are right that would be an unfunny joke as bills would be the same for under 25s,i do not know a council/landlord offering discounts for the under 25s,nor indeed any supermarkets.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely not.

I'm working in a "professional" Science job - but on minimum wage.

If MW was scrapped - the company would have no qualms in dropping the wage.
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »
    Absolutely not.

I'm working in a "professional" Science job - but on minimum wage.

If MW was scrapped - the company would have no qualms in dropping the wage.

Well maybe it could be bought in for new jobs as opposed to existing jobs or something

The fact that 5 out of every 6 low paid jobs are going to immigrants means 1m more people on benefits as immigrants took 1m out of the last 1.2m jobs created, we need to be getting the Brits into these jobs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    It depends on where you live. £6/hr goes a lot further in Hartlepool than Hamstead. Perhaps we should consider a regional minimum wage?

That would seem to make sense but would require lots of backroom staff to impliment but i am not entirely against this suggestion,as yes you are right it costs more to live in some parts of the country then others.

In the south east where i am it is quite expensive,but i guess if you lived in say Hull your housing bills would be cheaper,not sure about council tax though or essentials like food do tescos charge less in the north then the south possibly but i do not know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well maybe it could be bought in for new jobs as opposed to existing jobs or something

The fact that 5 out of every 6 low paid jobs are going to immigrants means 1m more people on benefits as immigrants took 1m out of the last 1.2m jobs created, we need to be getting the Brits into these jobs

Yes we need to get brits into jobs but those brits also need to live and this cannot be done on thin air ie £3 an hour or so,are you having a laugh.
    Forum Member
    Yes we need to get brits into jobs but those brits also need to live and this cannot be done on thin air ie £3 an hour or so,are you having a laugh.

JSA = £65 a week

40 hrs work @ £3.50 = £140 a week less NI

Employee gets double the money he got on JSA and is no longer a drain on the taxpayer
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no that is a reason to crack down on employers who pay less than minimum wage, in under the table wages.

Getting rid of the minimum wage, goes against the governmens whole "Making work Pay" thing. It may never acheieve that, but it would be foolish to make that problem work.
    why would the company hire 2 people, when it only needed 1?
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JSA = £65 a week

Employee gets double the money he got on JSA and is no longer a drain on the taxpayer

But neither wage is a living wage!

You might as well just not work for the little cash you'll get. I'm not saying it's right but it's to be expected.
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    no that is a reason to crack down on employers who pay less than minimum wage, in under the table wages.

Getting rid of the minimum wage, goes against the governmens whole "Making work Pay" thing. It may never acheieve that, but it would be foolish to make that problem work.

why would the company hire 2 people, when it only needed 1?

I know of 1 such company atm that a friend of mine owns, he really needs 2 employees (packers/warehouse) but can only afford 1 at minimum wage and this 1 person is going to have to work like crazy as there are only 2 warehouse people, he would love to take on a 3rd but can't justify it, if both were getting £3.50 an hour he could
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wouldn't that mean employers could pay whatever wage they wanted which could then lead to the exploitation of employees. However they could bring in job sharing which would also get people off the dole and into work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JSA = £65 a week

Most families i know would require much more then 40 hours work at £3.50 an hour to actually live on, one housing association near me charge £128 per week rent alone for a house that would be nearly all the earned income,so would require massive subsidies once again from mr taxpayer,so the employer would be getting cheap labour whilst mr taxpayer picks up the tab.

Lots of people who come here from eastern europe live several to a house and can split the bills and still afford to send money home,realistically the uk nationals cannot really compete with that.
  • Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

1) £3 an hour in the north, £6 in the south and £4.50 in the middle.

2) Or £6 an hour in the north, £8 in the south and £7 in the middle.

Which do people think more appropriate?
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »
    But neither wage is a living wage!

You might as well just not work for the little cash you'll get. I'm not saying it's right but it's to be expected.

People have a moral duty to work even if paid work meant less disposable income than on benefits, working gives people self respect, social interaction, removes the stigmas that being unemployed carry and so on.

Everyone who is capable of work has a moral obligation to apply for and accept work
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know of 1 such company atm that a friend of mine owns, he really needs 2 employees (packers/warehouse) but can only afford 1 at minimum wage and this 1 person is going to have to work like crazy as there are only 2 warehouse people, he would love to take on a 3rd but can't justify it, if both were getting £3.50 an hour he could
    my first thought is to get a part timer in, but im sure he has thought of that.

It interests me that desipte all the work that needs doing, he does not have the income to pay for that work to be done, maybe your friend needs to work out where he could be earnnig more money to pay his staff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not doubting your friend but how much profit did his company make last year? (rhetorical question)

If there is actually work for two people then two people should be doing it and getting a decent wage for it - perhaps he could make savings elsewhere?

(I do understand that all this is so much easier said than done though)