Options

Anybody here used a Google Chromecast?

bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
To live stream their tablet or other mobile device, to their TV?

If so, how successful was it?

Comments

• Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    It's very good, my only concern is that I cannot cast Virgin Anywhere as that uses Flash or NowTv as that doesn't work on Chrome.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    To live stream their tablet or other mobile device, to their TV?

If so, how successful was it?

Rubbish, kept not finding the TV even though it had found it before.

Also couldn't stream 1080p vids very well.

Am now using cyberlink Power DVD to stream from laptop and so far no probs with buffering.

Also Chrome on the lap top used too many resources when streaming.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rubbish, kept not finding the TV even though it had found it before.

Also couldn't stream 1080p vids very well.

Am now using cyberlink Power DVD to stream from laptop and so far no probs with buffering.

Also Chrome on the lap top used too many resources when streaming.
    Excellent, kept finding the TV as it had it had found it before.

Also always streamed 1080p vids very well.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Millions(literally) use it successfully.

Buy it, try it and then if you get issues, I suggest you visit this forum for more informed help

http://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chromecast (cc) is really designed for cast friendly apps like BBC iPlayer, netflix etc. These have cast icons built in. When you click icon, it sends a URL direct to cc. Then router streams video directly to cc. You could even could switch (say) tablet off. Great part is you can control video still from tablet. Also any suitable tablet/phone will work even a basic one.

You can also do what is called mirror casting i.e send whatever is playing on tablet/phone to TV. This is designed for apps that do not have built in cast capability.
    Problem here is that you use device resources e.g battery power. Also slower phones may struggle to keep up on specially at high resolutions. Having said that my moto g phone number rarely has issues.
  • Options
    victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Main downside is that both devices have to be on wifi network, still quite good if you can use the wifi. The latest Apple TV has the ability to stream from iPad or iPhone without the need for a wifi network which means you can use it anywhere and it doesn't cost that much more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victorslot wrote: »
    Main downside is that both devices have to be on wifi network, still quite good if you can use the wifi. The latest Apple TV has the ability to stream from iPad or iPhone without the need for a wifi network which means you can use it anywhere and it doesn't cost that much more.

Hmm...

I consider double or three time CC/miracast price to be quite a lot (and hell of a lot more if OP does not have an ipad or iphone).

apple tv c. £60 plus ipdad/iphone etc?
    chromecast £30
    Miracast (don't need wifi router ) c. £20 upwards

Miracast will work with any recent android, but is like using a CC in mirror mode i.e. uses tablet resources.

Bangs for bucks - CC slaughters the opposition.

I am assuming OP has an android system. People who have ipads always say my ipad, not my tablet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies guys, some really useful info there.

I've got a 2013 nexus 7, and a Samsung smart TV. I can already connect wifi to wifi for you tube. Now want to do it for the wwe network.

What are the precise mechanics for this device? I'm assuming I plug it into the HDMI slot at the back of the TV, start the required video on my tablet, and then presumably the tablet will find the TV via the chromecast, and ask me if I want to connect?
    oilman wrote: »
    I am assuming OP has an android system. People who have ipads always say my ipad, not my tablet.

Spot on, of course, oilman and neat observation :).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You set up cc using cc application, and then it always connects to internet via router. You then play your app on cc and hit cast button.

If you are playing videos stored on tablet you can either mirror cast or use app like video stream or similar
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    What are the precise mechanics for this device? I'm assuming I plug it into the HDMI slot at the back of the TV,
    The only other consideration is whether you have a spare usb slot on the tv to power the device, otherwise you need to use a socket and 'usb plug' (not sure if this is part of the price or not).
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    The only other consideration is whether you have a spare usb slot on the tv to power the device, otherwise you need to use a socket and 'usb plug' (not sure if this is part of the price or not).
    Yes you get a power plus too.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    You set up cc using cc application, and then it always connects to internet via router. You then play your app on cc and hit cast button.

If you are playing videos stored on tablet you can either mirror cast or use app like video stream or similar

Videostream is brilliant; I've got that on my laptop upstairs (with a few TB of movies and TV shows), with videostream on my N7 to control it. Very slick.

Some of the games are quite neat too, although they're relatively restricted on what they can do. Connect 4 quads is particularly good fun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So my chromecast has arrived from Amazon. Haven't unpacked it yet. On the side of my TV, I've got 2 USB ports, and 2 HDMI ports.

The first USB port is labelled "USB TV camera" and the second "USB (HDD SV 1A)"

The first HDMI port is labelled "HDMI IN 2 (ARC)" and the second is labelled "HDMI IN 1 (STB)"

I'll experiment to see which works, or if they operate the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think it will make any difference on the usb, as it will just draw power.
    The HDMI arc is used if you want to be able to control a sound system from the tv volume.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think it will make any difference on the usb, as it will just draw power.
    The HDMI arc is used if you want to be able to control a sound system from the tv volume.

Thanks.

Great - it works. The only issue I had was finding the cast button on the nexus 7. It says it should appear in the top right hand side of the screen, but it's not there. You have to pull down the settings, and it appears as an extra there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's for mirroring, the rectangle icon should also appear top right within an app eg bbc iPlayer, netflix. etc https://www.google.co.uk/chrome/devices/chromecast/apps.html
  • Options
    zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also don't forget to check the My offers tab in the Chromecast app, I managed to rack up about £40 google store credit from their offers.
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    I just got 3 months NowTv free :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's for mirroring, the rectangle icon should also appear top right within an app eg bbc iPlayer, netflix. etc https://www.google.co.uk/chrome/devices/chromecast/apps.html

I don't get the difference? Is it that mirroring will result from unsupported apps, and the others, such as you tube and i player, you'll see the rectangle in the top right of the screen?
    zantarous wrote: »
    Also don't forget to check the My offers tab in the Chromecast app, I managed to rack up about £40 google store credit from their offers.

Cheers for that info :)
    killjoy wrote: »
    I just got 3 months NowTv free :)

Well done. By the way, I apologise for starting a new thread about this topic. I realised last night you'd already started one earlier. I'd have used that if I'd noticed it at the time. Never thought to search.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you take iPlayer as an example. You finnd the programme and then hit the cast icon and point the cast to the TV. The router will then communicate with the Chromecast device and send that stream to the TV. Your phone or tablet is no longer required, so you can happily post in Ds forums. The programme continues and there is no battery use if you put your device to one side. With mirroring, your device is doing all the work, and using up battery and isn't free for other tasks.
    I just leave my tablet on the side and pause the programme from the lock screen if necessary, then play when I have made my drink etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you take iPlayer as an example. You finnd the programme and then hit the cast icon and point the cast to the TV. The router will then communicate with the Chromecast device and send that stream to the TV. Your phone or tablet is no longer required, so you can happily post in Ds forums. The programme continues and there is no battery use if you put your device to one side. With mirroring, your device is doing all the work, and using up battery and isn't free for other tasks.
    I just leave my tablet on the side and pause the programme from the lock screen if necessary, then play when I have made my drink etc.

OK, understood.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with it. Great purchase.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was having nightmares with my (2012) N7 casting some stuff on youtube over the weekend. It would happily start the playback, but then the connection between the tablet and the chromecast would "break" .... leaving the video playing with no playback controls.

But then realised that I could just do the same thing from my W8.1 tablet, which had no problems with keeping the connection.

Occasionally chromecast feels like a late beta, but most of the time it is utterly brilliant.

Now, if only C4 would enable chromecast mirroring on their OD services.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given there are known issues with N7 2012, I'd suggest that is the problem.