Options

How Many played what console in 2008

TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If you can believe it and according to The Nielsen Company console usage for 2008 ( jan to oct ) is.....

PS2 - 31.2%
360 - 17.2%
Wii - 13.4%
Original Xbox - 9.7%
PS3 - 7.3%
GameCube 4.6%
Other 16.2%

Web link http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/02/nielsen-2008s-most-played-console-was-ps2/

Does not look good for the PS3 :eek: and whats with the ORIGINAL XBOX........people still play it....

what do you guys/dolls think......

g

Comments

• Options
    Drinking_GeckoDrinking_Gecko Posts: 2,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The PS2 percentage is hardly suprising, I mean it must be the only last generation console that still has games released for it. Almost every multi-platform game that is released on the Wii gets a PS2 release as well so the games on both consoles must be coded in a very similar way. So you could argue that the continued success of the PS2 is down to the success of the Wii :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    Lol, I love pie in the sky statistics. Apparantly so do 47.56% of other people.
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    Yup, 99.99% of all statistics on the net are made up on the spot.

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their are truths their are lies and their are statistics
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

dont you just hate it when some smug person tells you that.........

Am I supposed to trawl through hundreds of threads or guess what what to search for...

Sorry for wasting everybody's time, post anything in MGS4SnakeRulez thread, he seems to want the attention :D

g
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eddie2004 wrote: »
    Their are truths their are lies and their are statistics
    Nielsen are about as accurate as you're going to get on this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont you just hate it when some smug person tells you that.........

Am I supposed to trawl through hundreds of threads or guess what what to search for...

Sorry for wasting everybody's time, post anything in MGS4SnakeRulez thread, he seems to want the attention :D

g
    Well it was on the first page, and the title was '
    Nielsen: PS2 most played console in 2008', so .... :rolleyes:

Histeria wrote: »
    Nielsen are about as accurate as you're going to get on this.

If your american !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT@home wrote: »
    If your american !
    Nielsen operate in a lot of countries, including the UK. They don't just do US TV ratings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT@home wrote: »
    Well it was on the first page, and the title was '
    Nielsen: PS2 most played console in 2008', so .... :rolleyes:

If your american !

its on the first page today due to a couple of posts today
  • Options
    Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,722
    Forum Member
    its on the first page today due to a couple of posts today
    Looking at the previous post before today on there (in that thread), which was the 6th, then it was still on the 1st page (of the gaming forum) as there are topics which were last posted on the 5th still present on the 1st page (of the gaming forum).:p
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Does not look good for the PS3 :eek: and whats with the ORIGINAL XBOX........people still play it....

what do you guys/dolls think......

g
    I bet most of those who play on the original Xbox are mainly playing Halo 1 & 2. I remember reading about some gaming survey which said that for a significant amount of gamers, those were the only games they played!
  • Options
    Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,722
    Forum Member
    I still play on my original Xbox, hell, it's sitting next to my PS3. I love it's games, but then, I still play on my PS2 as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Histeria wrote: »
    Nielsen operate in a lot of countries, including the UK. They don't just do US TV ratings.
    True, but this one was done for the american gaming usage!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever... it's all bullshit. Nobody can possibly know how much time I spent playing games and on what console... Especially the ps2 which is mostly off line.

And nobody asked ME, so clearly these statistics are just plain wrong.

And don't give me that 'It's US figures you cretin' crap, I don't want to hear it :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    TBH I am not so sure they are accurate and are probably only in a specific country.

I mean in America the console sales were Wii: 21m
    360: 15m
    PS3: 7.5m
    (all stats came from vgchartz.com)

Now fair enough some people will have more than one console, but with just under a 6million sale advantage you'd think the Wii would have more plays than 360.

It really doesn't surprise me that the PS3 is so low though, it has sold the least amount of units compared to Wii/360 (and a lot of people clearly still have a PS2). The only reason I bought the 360 over the PS3 at the time was price.

But you'd really expect sales to be indicative of plays, so I am in no way surprised the PS3 is so low.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annoyance wrote: »
    TBH I am not so sure they are accurate and are probably only in a specific country.

I mean in America the console sales were Wii: 21m
    360: 15m
    PS3: 7.5m
    (all stats came from vgchartz.com)

Now fair enough some people will have more than one console, but with just under a 6million sale advantage you'd think the Wii would have more plays than 360.

It really doesn't surprise me that the PS3 is so low though, it has sold the least amount of units compared to Wii/360 (and a lot of people clearly still have a PS2). The only reason I bought the 360 over the PS3 at the time was price.

But you'd really expect sales to be indicative of plays, so I am in no way surprised the PS3 is so low.

Again, it's all subjective bullshit. I have quite a few mates who have 360's and barely touch them... I on the other hand had just a ps3 for most of the year and probably spent a good few hours on it every day.

These statistics are always 'best guess'.

I suspect that in most homes you would find some board games and a TV, but (and this is a wild guess) I would imagine that the TV gets more attention than the board games in most homes.

Statistics... waste of time and effort.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Statistics are fine...in some cases, but there is NO way in hell they could ever collate this information accurately. I mean sure, they'll take a 'sample test' and do a 'survey' but it isn't collecting everyone's data, it's just taking an average, which can never be accurate.