Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's also LOZ: Skyward Sword
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    So now that a lot of the games mentioned have been released, what are ye're thoughts ??

I've played Batman AC and Skyrim and I think Skyrim is my game of the year ! Haven't got near Zelda or Uncharted tho !

For me -

1st place - Skyrim, easily.

Next up:

2nd - Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
    3rd - Batman: Arkham City
    4th - Deus Ex: Human Revolution

5th - Gears of War 3
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having sunk 25 hours into it, enjoying every second yet barely having scratched the surface, I can say without a shadow of doubt that Skyrim is the best game I've played this year.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Unlike the past few years, I don't think there's been a particularly standout release this year, but Portal 2 and Arkham City have been my personal favourites.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've given up with trying to explain to people how good Zelda games are. They laugh as because it only has a E rating (in the U.S) and a 12+ in this country, so it's not credible, and there isn't mindless violence, sex or language, or the fact it isn't in HD. The series has lasted for 25 years, and there are diehard fans out there! Some old, some new, but in 10 years (hopefully in another 25 years) Zelda will still be around, as it has longevity.
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Unlike the past few years, I don't think there's been a particularly standout release this year, but Portal 2 and Arkham City have been my personal favourites.

I've thought that all year, up until the last month.

In that time though we've had Uncharted 3 and Arkham City, both of which in any other year would probably have been my GOTY. Sadly for them though, Skyrim came out, and that's arguably the game of the generation - it is quite simply almost flawless.

I was never a massive fan of Oblivion or Fallout, but Skyrim is as close to perfection as you're ever likely to get. Awesome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    I've thought that all year, up until the last month.

In that time though we've had Uncharted 3 and Arkham City, both of which in any other year would probably have been my GOTY. Sadly for them though, Skyrim came out, and that's arguably the game of the generation - it is quite simply almost flawless.

I was never a massive fan of Oblivion or Fallout, but Skyrim is as close to perfection as you're ever likely to get. Awesome.

I agree with you, but it's funny that a game with so many bugs, glitches etc can still be considered close to perfection!
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Bester wrote: »
    Sadly for them though, Skyrim came out, and that's arguably the game of the generation - it is quite simply almost flawless.

Whilst Skyrim is awesome, its certainly not flawless. The UI is one of the worst ever created, the dumbed down attributes are detrimental to the game and contains a lot of bugs and graphical bits that could be improved.

Doesn't stop it being my game of the year as well though...
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    The bugs haven't really manifested themselves in my game yet, perhaps I'll have to revise my statement when I do! :D
  • Options
    SegaGodSegaGod Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redlight79 wrote: »
    I've given up with trying to explain to people how good Zelda games are. They laugh as because it only has a E rating (in the U.S) and a 12+ in this country, so it's not credible, and there isn't mindless violence, sex or language, or the fact it isn't in HD. The series has lasted for 25 years, and there are diehard fans out there! Some old, some new, but in 10 years (hopefully in another 25 years) Zelda will still be around, as it has longevity.

The series does have its haters like every series, but its still one of the most respected series. I have seen it top many "best series ever created" polls over the years. And though i don't care about reviewers to much. I wouldn't be surprised if its is the highest rated series of all time.

Mario is still king for me though :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    Whilst Skyrim is awesome, its certainly not flawless. The UI is one of the worst ever created, the dumbed down attributes are detrimental to the game and contains a lot of bugs and graphical bits that could be improved.

Doesn't stop it being my game of the year as well though...

The UI might be an abomination to PC gamers, but for console users it's not bad at all (IMHO), but I realise that's a sore point at the moment for those who've spent a lot upgrading for this game!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redlight79 wrote: »

Zelda's problem, for me, is that in 25 years it hasn't moved on from Nintendo's patented "rescue the princess" formula, it's got nothing to do with HD, gore or violence, but the games I enjoy these days are filed with deep, multi-layered stories, rounded characters, and varied gameplay, none of which I experienced when playing Twilight Princess (the only LOZ game I've ever played, admittedly).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    That statement pretty much covers almost every game mentioned in this thread.

On the Zelda thing, as someone who felt abandoned by Nintendo with the Wii this new Zelda game is the first game released on the Wii that has made me really miss owning that console, as much as I wanted to play Mario Galaxy it wasn't as bad as I want to play Zelda. IMHO Legend of Zelda games stack up very well against most of the big hitters been released this holiday season.

Personally I would rather play this new Zelda than Skyrim

I have to agree with you on this

when it comes to the Wii, i think the main problem is that too many gamers see it as a joke (not me though). fair enough, it is'nt as powerful as the Ps3 or 360 but the games more than make up for its shortcomings. I still enjoy playing mario kart Wii along with Mario G 1&2 and I have every intention of buying "Skyward Sword". :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zelda's problem, for me, is that in 25 years it hasn't moved on from Nintendo's patented "rescue the princess" formula, it's got nothing to do with HD, gore or violence, but the games I enjoy these days are filed with deep, multi-layered stories, rounded characters, and varied gameplay, none of which I experienced when playing Twilight Princess (the only LOZ game I've ever played, admittedly).

"If it aint broke", comes to mind here :)
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    The UI might be an abomination to PC gamers, but for console users it's not bad at all (IMHO), but I realise that's a sore point at the moment for those who've spent a lot upgrading for this game!

I can accept its easier to navigate with a game pad, but surely all the other issues must be present? Important Information hidden away, difficult to compare items, inability to sort stuff, very easy to buy instead of selling, etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There has been only one game which has sucked me in this year (actually 2 but the only one was released this year). That game is Portal 2. Uncharted 3 while good I havent got a point in it where I want to continue. just got Batman AC and thats beginning to suck me in. I have a feeling that will be my game of the year if it continues in the same vain.

Overall quality of games is up this year as a result there are less standout titles. If you where wondering what the other game was it was Darksiders. Just played it a couple of weeks ago. Brilliant.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said it before it came out and having played 80 hours of it I can say it with a little more authority.

SKYRIM.

Some great games this year, most at the end of Q3 and start of Q4 which meant I had no money there for about 8 weeks... Oooh new game... Oooh new game... etc.
    Gears 3, Forza 4, Dead Space 2 (all the way back in January), Assassins Creed: Revelations, Saints 3, Halo:CE revamp (very cool), MW3, Rage, Dark Souls and Deus X.

But it's great to be back in Tamriel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    My best is still UC3
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Skyrim for me, with U3 and Arkham city in 2nd and 3rd places
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member

What exactly is a "rescue the princess formula" then? Because the last time I looked Zelda was made up of many different gameplay elements. It's probably best you don't try and act as an authority on Zelda when you've only ever played ONE game in the series's whole 25 years lifetime. You've not even played another Zelda game to compere it to for Christ sake.

For the record Zelda (like Mario) has evolved in those 25 years in a way that many other games series have failed to do (that's why they die a short death, yet some twenty five years later!!.. Zelda is alive and well in 2011 and is a firm nominee for GOTY thanks to it's full scores awarded from respected publications like Edge Magazine, Famitsu Weekly and Eurogamer).
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyrim for me. Uncharted 3 and Arkham City close behind it. All of those games will probably be awarded the title though because there isn't one site or publication that I would consider definitive on the matter.

Played an hour of the much lauded Skyward Sword (sister has it) and the feelings of boredom and bafflement took me back to 98 and OOT when I had those same feelings. Nostalgia, except not the good kind. No doubt it's GOTY material for many though, just not me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What exactly is a "rescue the princess formula" then? Because the last time I looked Zelda was made up of many different gameplay elements. It's probably best you don't try and act as an authority on Zelda when you've only ever played ONE game in the series's whole 25 years lifetime. You've not even played another Zelda game to compere it to for Christ sake.

For the record Zelda (like Mario) has evolved in those 25 years in a way that many other games series have failed to do (that's why they die a short death, yet some twenty five years later!!.. Zelda is alive and well in 2011 and is a firm nominee for GOTY thanks to it's full scores awarded from respected publications like Edge Magazine, Famitsu Weekly and Eurogamer).

You dont secretly work for Nintendo do you 2D lol but i know exactly what you mean here. I've been playing mario games for a long long time (started with Donkey Kong) and had legend on Zelda on the NES then moved onto the SNES and so on
  • Options
    MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    Without a shadow of doubt, game of the year simply HAS to be The Adventures of Tintin.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Arkham City... By a Mile.. Another fine Performance By Mark Hamill as The joker and Kevin Conroy as Batman. Rocksteady have done an excellent job i was obsessed with Asylum.. couldnt stop playing it even when i 100% and platinumed the trophy i still ended up creating another account to do it.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me it has to be Skyrim