Kylie Minogue - 'Kiss Me Once' (Album Thread)

Comments

• glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Very poor sales. Not only for Kylie but George too.

Aphrodite sold 79,152, X sold 82.370 and Body Language sold 68,866 on it's first week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been listening to it on a loop since it came out, love it! Except Beautiful...would have preferred only Kylie.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    Very poor sales. Not only for Kylie but George too.

Aphrodite sold 79,152, X sold 82.370 and Body Language sold 68,866 on it's first week.

But then albums have seen a continuing decline each year since those have been released. So it's difficult to compare. Also those albums had successful high charting lead singles.
    Forum Member
    But then albums have seen a continuing decline each year since those have been released. So it's difficult to compare. Also those albums had successful high charting lead singles.

Whilst what you say about album sales declining being true, it's still shocking that an artist such as Kylie couldn't even struggle pass 30k. Sad times.

It's also a shame ITB didn't chart well, but it still had a great deal of radio play so that's not necessarily to blame either.
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Still love this album and hopefully Kylie will be number one on Sunday and I am so excited because I got my tickets for her show at the Oddessy in Belfast Kylies first tour which includes Northern Ireland. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    methodyguy wrote: »
    Still love this album and hopefully Kylie will be number one on Sunday and I am so excited because I got my tickets for her show at the Oddessy in Belfast Kylies first tour which includes Northern Ireland. :)

I doubt it. Sam Bailey will be
  • LeightonismeLeightonisme Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    Kiss me once must be one of the best albums that I've heared in the past year! I'm not too keen on her old stuff though.
  • playboy69playboy69 Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I downloaded this today it is actually pretty good. Not as good as Aphrodite but it's still one of the best pop albums to come out in a long while.
  • kyleeekyleee Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Down to 9 in midweeks :(
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fear it won't be in the Top 10 come the weekend. But Graham Norton show soon will hopefully raise it's profile.

It is a great album- I think I may be the only person that loves Beautiful.

When I hear Mr President at first I was not impressed but it sure has grown on me. Sleeping with the Enemy is cool too.
  • kyleeekyleee Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I dislike beautiful...just doesnt belong on the album. Although sexercise is growing on me :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beautiful has actually grown on me. I like being in the 'getting to know you' stage with an ablum, somewhere between first hearing it and knowing all the words to every song where i find myself randomly singing the odd line or chorus.

Feels so good remains my favourite and i adore sleeping with the enemy
  • sej17sej17 Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    I've liked Kylie Minogue for years and I've heard all of this album now and it's okay but not something I would buy. I bought Light Years, X and Aphrodite but not Body Language. The past few days I've also heard two really brilliant songs called Timebomb and Sparks which would have pushed me to buy the album. However, neither are on there. I don't understand why in this day and age of falling album sales artists/record companies afford themselves the luxury that in my opinion they can't afford of often leaving good commercial songs off albums. It's a business so I expect value for money with an album just like I do with any other purchase. I can't afford to hand over my cash to fund an artists expression via dull tracks. Kylie Minogue seems to record some brilliant tracks - that I can't buy on CD. Such a shame.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this thread highlights that like Madonna, Kylie inspires loyalty that really does ignore reality sometimes.

On every level, Kiss Me Once is quite mediocre. It's not terrible, but it's not great, and there are few (if any) standout tracks. It's lead single, Into The Blue, is also not terrible, but also not great. It's bland, like the album.

In fact, pretty much every reviewer that compared it to Aphrodite has compared it unfavourably - and Aphrodite didn't exactly set the world alight, in spite of the lead single. While there is some controversy about how it was marketed (and Kylie herself is a big enough star that she can't just palm all of the blame off onto the label), the truth is that the rest of Aphrodite may have had some good tracks, but none were as good as All The Lovers, and their chart placings reflected that. She's not going to have that much success with an album of songs that is not quite as good as her last album that wasn't that successful.

It's not like back in the Fever days where it was a run of Can't Get You Out Of My Head, Love At First Sight, Come Into My World, and then In Your Eyes, all from the same album. If she wants that level of success, she needs to have songs that are good enough that people outside of her core fanbase are interested, and this material is just too lacklustre.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    I think this thread highlights that like Madonna, Kylie inspires loyalty that really does ignore reality sometimes.

On every level, Kiss Me Once is quite mediocre. It's not terrible, but it's not great, and there are few (if any) standout tracks. It's lead single, Into The Blue, is also not terrible, but also not great. It's bland, like the album.

In fact, pretty much every reviewer that compared it to Aphrodite has compared it unfavourably - and Aphrodite didn't exactly set the world alight, in spite of the lead single. While there is some controversy about how it was marketed (and Kylie herself is a big enough star that she can't just palm all of the blame off onto the label), the truth is that the rest of Aphrodite may have had some good tracks, but none were as good as All The Lovers, and their chart placings reflected that. She's not going to have that much success with an album of songs that is not quite as good as her last album that wasn't that successful.

It's not like back in the Fever days where it was a run of Can't Get You Out Of My Head, Love At First Sight, Come Into My World, and then In Your Eyes, all from the same album. If she wants that level of success, she needs to have songs that are good enough that people outside of her core fanbase are interested, and this material is just too lacklustre.

Couldn't disagree more - her finest album since Fever.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,235
    Forum Member
    She needs to get a 2nd single out ASAP, and get it performed on The Voice. In To The Blue hasn't taken off, Sexcercise was always a youtube promo for horny men! she needs to get something else out there before she goes off to promote in the USA.

While her label have done better with the radio play this time round, I'm still amazed that she is on a show that gets 7million viewers each week, yet she hasn't performed her new songs!
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »

So in other words we're all wrong in saying it's a great album just because you don't like it? Your post was written as factual when in reality it's just opinion. It's got absolutely nothing to do about loyal fans ignoring reality...
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    So in other words we're all wrong in saying it's a great album just because you don't like it? Your post was written as factual when in reality it's just opinion. It's got absolutely nothing to do about loyal fans ignoring reality...

No, the sales figures are saying you're wrong.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    in fairness, the album is growing on me it has shades of X but with vocals that sound quite indenti-kit SAW Kylie in places... it really is a blueprint Kylie album - something for every Kylie era fan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Love this album!!! Feels so good is currently my favourite off the album, sparks isn't to bad either
  • Gail forceGail force Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    kyleee wrote: »
    A number 1 for kylie methinks :)

Not quite. Number 8 now with poor sales. Dropping like a stone. Seems she is not as loved by everyone as her fans would have us all believe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Been listening to this album more and its growing more on me each time..some good un's on it :)
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    Feels so good
    OMG it's grown so much on me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regardless of sales, i really like it. It's the third album i have bought this year and my second fav of the year so far.
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sex wrote: »
    Feels so good
    OMG it's grown so much on me

The song or the album? :p