Options

Dog vomiting after flea treatment

yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
Forum Member
✭✭
My vet gave Baxter some Advantage spot on flea and worm treatment on Tuesday morning. It appears to have killed the fleas already. However, he started vomiting yesterday morning and had a very noisy stomach. He is prone to upset tummies but never vomits, just starves himself for the day and poos a lot.
He seemed to come right last night and ate a can of dog food. An hour later he was vomiting again and we spent most of the night taking him out to eat grass.

Anyone else had problems with this flea treatment? The vet didn't give me any info on possible side effects so I had to google them. Am now freaking at the possibility of neurological problems after essentially giving my dog a pesticide.

Comments

• Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used this for years no problems. Plus the reviews on Amazon seem positive. That said any of us could have a bad reaction to anything. It could just be coincidence of course and something else entirely.
    When my dog has a stomach upset I withhold food for 24 hours then introduce something bland like chicken and rice.
    As for grass, she has always been a grass eater well or not. Usually if we meet someone when out and I pause to chat she starts tearing up the grass around her and eating it. With her it's a sort of attention seeking. I've learnt to stop her eating it if I don't want to be up in the night :confused:
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to switch to Advantage when Frontline stopped working on my dog, last year. She was elderly and frail but OK with it. They are all different though. If it continues, he will need to get back to the vet for a check-up, just in case. It could be a reaction or a coincidence but better safe than sorry. I'd at least ring the vet's and say what's happening and ask whether you should bring him back in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just fed him so will keep an eye out for any signs of vomiting over the next few hours. If he does, then I'll be phoning the vet. He's bright and alert so doesn't seem to be in pain, whereas last night he kept sitting up in bed and looking miserable. No grass eating this morning either so fingers crossed he's got it out of the system. Advantage is a wormer as well as a flea treatment so perhaps he did have worms and they were dying.

They do know how to worry us don't they?
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    I've just fed him so will keep an eye out for any signs of vomiting over the next few hours. If he does, then I'll be phoning the vet. He's bright and alert so doesn't seem to be in pain, whereas last night he kept sitting up in bed and looking miserable. No grass eating this morning either so fingers crossed he's got it out of the system. Advantage is a wormer as well as a flea treatment so perhaps he did have worms and they were dying.

They do know how to worry us don't they?

Sounds like he's on the mend. Fingers crossed!:)

I didn't realise Advantage was a wormer as well. It can give them upset tummies, being wormed, eh, so hopefully that's all you were seeing there. I found Advantage to work fine on my very old lady and the slightest thing usually set her off. But they are all different.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's fine now. No more repeat of last night's vomiting.
    Advantage is a wormer but doesn't include protection for tapeworm, so I will still need to treat him for that.
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,641
    Forum Member
    Your thread caught my attention because I have been having problems with advantage on my cats. My eldest is 22 and last month had a very severe reaction after her monthly advantage treatment, she was very ill for about 2 weeks, but thankfully has slowly but surely recovered and I am not going to treat her again. I also have a 12 year old cat who was sick immediately after treating him with advantage, he has never been sick before, He is fine otherwise, but I really am wondering what is going on here with advantage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Yea I remember a month ago the very same thing happened to my dog...I took him to the vet and he was given some medicine, but it carried on for about another week. After that, he was back to his old self again :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He vomited again yesterday so isn't back to normal yet. But he's full of energy and seems happy so I'm not going back to the vet. I fed him rice and fish later on and he kept that down.

I think perhaps he received too large a dose. The vet gave him a large dog dose and also a small dog dose as a top up because he weighs 43 kilos and the large dog one is for dogs up to 40 kilos. But that meant that the top up he was given took him up to 52 kilos dosage.
  • Options
    loopilouloopilou Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use advantage on my dog had no idea was wormer as well so give him drontal too but worried now although he seemed ok after last dosages
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,641
    Forum Member
    loopilou wrote: »
    I use advantage on my dog had no idea was wormer as well so give him drontal too but worried now although he seemed ok after last dosages

After my cats recent reaction to Advantage i am really cautious about dosing them with anything. My big 12 years old male cat goes out a lot so I bought Drontal along with the Advantage, Drontal being for tape worms, but reluctant to give it to him after the Advantage made him vomit. I have always trusted these drugs and want my cats to have the best protection, but I'm wondering if the ingredients have changed or is it just that my cats being older, are not able to tolerate these drungs as well as they did when they were younger? i feel that this is certainly the case with my 22 year old female cat, and as she doesn't go outside, and her having such a severe reaction to the last dose of Advantage, she isn't treated with anything anymore.
  • Options
    loopilouloopilou Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's ok I checked box its advantage multi that does both I have basic advantage