Options

Ascension (UK)

Comments

• Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankly think 6 episodes is stretching the story out, and as to a longer series no thanks.

Bored by the end of ep 1, as the whole idea of it being "fake" was glaring to me from the first couple of minutes.

Will agree though that the set dressing was great, the only bit that lived up to expectations.
  • Options
    Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,737
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed this.

Guessed the twist about 5 mins before the end (must have been half asleep I guess.).

Will be interesing to see where it goes from here (now that the viewer is in on the secret).
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    I must be one of the few who didn't see the twist coming. But then again I've been reading some interstellar colony mission novels recently and all their journeys were for real!!
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    I must be one of the few who didn't see the twist coming. But then again I've been reading some interstellar colony mission novels recently and all their journeys were for real!!

Could you recommend a couple?.....(sorry I know its OT)
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A 64 minute programme shown over 2 hours😡

I don't know what version you were watching but it was shown over 85 minutes on Sky!
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That twist at the end saved it for me, I wasn't really feeling this show but that ending made it more interesting to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I was bitterly disappointed by the twist at the end.Have to say it ruined it for me.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was bitterly disappointed by the twist at the end.Have to say it ruined it for me.

Surely that had to be the case all along. Interstellar travel in 1963? Come on....
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    didn't quite gel but the end did make up for that, should make for an interesting trip .....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    Surely that had to be the case all along. Interstellar travel in 1963? Come on....
    The thought did cross my mind but seeing as it's a sci fi therefore not real, anything is possible in the world of TV.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mostly enjoyed it though it was hardly epic Sci-fi. Some of the acting was pretty poor and the pacing felt 'off'.

It was very pretty to look at and was mostly quite a good idea. I don't think it would have worked for me without the twist (which did catch me out :D )

I hadn't realised it was only three episodes though - it felt very unfinished. :(
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There were ships theoretically capable of Interstellar travel designed in the 1950's/1960's using current materials, they were just never built (as far as we know ;-)).

Project Orion

The biggest design above is the "super" Orion design; at 8 million tonnes, it could easily be a city.[11] In interviews, the designers contemplated the large ship as a possible interstellar ark. This extreme design could be built with materials and techniques that could be obtained in 1958 or were anticipated to be available shortly after.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    There were ships theoretically capable of Interstellar travel designed in the 1950's/1960's using current materials, they were just never built (as far as we know ;-)).

Project Orion
    Yes, the writers state that Project Orion was the inspiration for the series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    Could you recommend a couple?.....(sorry I know its OT)
    For modern believable colonisation attempts, try starting with Stephen Baxter's Proxima. James Corey (writing duo) Expanse series goes interstellar in Book 4 Cibola Burn. You could start with that novel as it does briefly summarise what's gone on before.. There's two more to come. The series is being filmed for TV of course.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    Yes, the writers state that Project Orion was the inspiration for the series.

When we first saw Ascension, it was captioned as an Orion class ship.
    I recall watching a documentary about the Orion project and its eventual failure a few years ago. Though I have been aware of the theory for a lot longer - an Orion class ship featured in Larry Niven's novel "Footfall".
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

Project Orion

The cost would've been way too prohibitive for the United States, especially with them fighting proxy wars all over the world and spending billions on their own war in Vietnam not to mention the Apollo missions, and there's no way the USSR could afford it.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cost would've been way too prohibitive for the United States, especially with them fighting proxy wars all over the world and spending billions on their own war in Vietnam not to mention the Apollo missions, and there's no way the USSR could afford it.
    There was a tech commentator (it might have been James Burke) who noted that the cost of the american space programme during the 1960s was roughly the same amount of money as was spent on cosmetics during the same time.

One of the "attractions" of Orion-style spacecraft (leaving aside the small detail about the massive amount radioactivity they dump into the atmosphere) is that weight is no longer an issue. That means a lot of the expensive design needed to keep weight down becomes unnecessary.
    To move a heavier vehicle, you just need more atomic bombs - and to pop 'em off faster. :o

Though once you've got out of Earth's gravity well (and getting to LEO means you're halfway to anywhere in the solar system - in energy terms), it's difficult to see how the craft could possibly have accelerated to a sufficient fraction of the SoL to get where they were going in less than thousands of years. And they would need to keep accelerating to sustain the gravity within the 'ship.
  • Options
    GJKitchenerGJKitchener Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    petely wrote: »
    Though once you've got out of Earth's gravity well (and getting to LEO means you're halfway to anywhere in the solar system - in energy terms), it's difficult to see how the craft could possibly have accelerated to a sufficient fraction of the SoL to get where they were going in less than thousands of years. And they would need to keep accelerating to sustain the gravity within the 'ship.

I think they said the journey was expected to be around 100 years. Proxima Centauri is about 5 light years away, so (if I did the maths right) they'd need an average speed of around 33 million mph!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    When we first saw Ascension, it was captioned as an Orion class ship.
    I recall watching a documentary about the Orion project and its eventual failure a few years ago. Though I have been aware of the theory for a lot longer - an Orion class ship featured in Larry Niven's novel "Footfall".
    Could call about Footfall. One of my favourite alien invasion novels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quite enjoyed the second episode despite all the flaws. I quite liked the idea of a man on the inside. It was hinted at before. I was quite interested how that situation came about.

The pyschic girl is interesting but doesn't quite make sense. She can clearly see enough to know the whole thing's a sham yet can't seem to quite join up all the dots and spill the beans to the ship's crew. The internal politics on the ship is watchable mainly because it involves lots of pretty young women, if not all rather pointless.

The one bad thing has to be this investigator woman. She's there to report on a top secret project - she's part of the loop. So why is she working with outsiders to investigate it like she's some sort of investigative journalist? It would be a bit like someone being asked to report independently on the Manhattan Project for Congress and then working with journalists who are wondering why so many top physicists have moved to Los Alamos. Doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed the second episode a lot more than the first one. Kind of reminds me when channel 4 made a show (can't remember what it's called) but they tried fooling real people they went to space.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there gonna be another series or have the ratings been too poor for it get another? I've actually enjoyed first 2 eps so I'd like a full season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Woodbine wrote: »
    Enjoyed the second episode a lot more than the first one. Kind of reminds me when channel 4 made a show (can't remember what it's called) but they tried fooling real people they went to space.
    You mean Space Cadets. That was fun!!
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Is there gonna be another series or have the ratings been too poor for it get another? I've actually enjoyed first 2 eps so I'd like a full season.

No word yet on if a full series will be commissioned.

Ratings on the Sy Fy channel in the U.S were ok but not great.
  • Options
    nightporternightporter Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen better. Its only the nudity keeping me interested. :p:p:blush: