How much HD on the HD channels?

I think this is the right sub-forum......

VM currently provide a small number of HD Channels.
Can anyone tell me how much of the content of these channels is actually produced in HD as well as transmitted in HD? (I believe the term is 1080i but I'm ready to be educated)

The BBC HD channel is a showcase so that probably is all produced in HD, but Megastructures on Nat Geog? - that's been around for a while hasn't it?

Is it just the same source digitised as 1080i?

The answer may have to be subjective - there is an info button on my TV that says what the input signal is, but if the V+ HD box always says it's 1080i into HDMI inputs then that won't help.

Why can't I check myself?
Well I have had my V+ HD box connected briefly to my 1080p TV (very impressive) but it has now been returned to our non-HD TV.
So I'm now considering whether to get a second V+ HD box - they're a bit expensive you know if there's not (yet) much (real) HD content.

Comments

• BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    As far as I am aware the only full HD channels are BBC HD and NatGeo.

And remember HD has been around for about 8 years. The US were filming shows in HD as far back as 2001 (and maybe even before that)

EDIT: According to Wikipedia the first US HD broadcast was in October 1998, so 11 years ago!
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member

Can anyone tell me how much of the content of these channels is actually produced in HD as well as transmitted in HD? (I believe the term is 1080i but I'm ready to be educated)

The BBC HD channel is a showcase so that probably is all produced in HD, but Megastructures on Nat Geog? - that's been around for a while hasn't it?

The answer may have to be subjective - there is an info button on my TV that says what the input signal is, but if the V+ HD box always says it's 1080i into HDMI inputs then that won't help.

Well I have had my V+ HD box connected briefly to my 1080p TV (very impressive) but it has now been returned to our non-HD TV.
    So I'm now considering whether to get a second V+ HD box - they're a bit expensive you know if there's not (yet) much (real) HD content.
    Pretty sure when you press the i button on V+ it now gives you a good indication whether the show is HD by displaying HD within the synopsis. Not 100% guaranteed all of the time, but a start.

Some online TV guides are very good when wanting to double check, Digiguide/UKTV guide are very good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Firstly it depends on the source material. Generally anything shot on 35mm or even 16mm movie film using normal professional gear in the last 30 or more years is considered to be of above broadcast HD quality.

So if an HD telecine kit is used to broadcast these films then they are real HD

The problem lies with electronic recordings of older TV shows which will be in either PAL (728x576) or NTSC (640x480) formats both of which obviously require up-scaling if shown on a purported HD channel. The broadcasters should have the best upscaling but in the absence of a reference I canot see the difference in this type of material between HD and Non HD feeds as upscaled on my V+ box

However a lot of modern TV is shot (if not live) HD There is no doubt e.g. that the current edition of "Countdown" is real HD on C4HD. Nat Geo HD is fantastic.
    Forum Member
    Gilson wrote: »
    However a lot of modern TV is shot (if not live) HD There is no doubt e.g. that the current edition of "Countdown" is real HD on C4HD. Nat Geo HD is fantastic.
    Countdown is upscaled, it's not HD.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly it depends on the source material. Generally anything shot on 35mm or even 16mm movie film using normal professional gear in the last 30 or more years is considered to be of above broadcast HD quality.

Incidentally the BBC's policy is that 16mm is not good enough for HD transfer, which is why many top shows (Merlin, Ashes to Ashes, Life on Mars) are not in HD.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BenMcr77 wrote: »
    As far as I am aware the only full HD channels are BBC HD and NatGeo.

And remember HD has been around for about 8 years. The US were filming shows in HD as far back as 2001 (and maybe even before that)

EDIT: According to Wikipedia the first US HD broadcast was in October 1998, so 11 years ago!

I was in Japan in 1988 and NHK were broadcasting HD with stereo sound
    Forum Member
    35mm was introduced in 1882, 127yrs ago, a little more than 30yrs - so technically anything from this period onwards could be considered broadcast HD quality.

It became the international standard gauge in 1909.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Incidentally the BBC's policy is that 16mm is not good enough for HD transfer, which is why many top shows (Merlin, Ashes to Ashes, Life on Mars) are not in HD.
    Kudos (the production company) has actually released "Life on Mars" on BluRay. Allegedly it is not very good (for HD) and may back up the BBC's views on 16mm!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Countdown is upscaled, it's not HD.

Please substantiate with appropriate references /links.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    35mm was introduced in 1882, 127yrs ago, a little more than 30yrs - so technically anything from this period onwards could be considered broadcast HD quality.

It became the international standard gauge in 1909.

You are a pedantic I did say in the last 30 years or so!:mad:! As an historic photographic enthusiast I am perfectly aware of the history of film formats. However as you are also probably aware the ability of these film formats to deliver a picture of a given definition relies on the grain structure of the emulsion. So as I have read anycolour 35 mm film produced after around 1960 and with finer grain structure around 1975 that 16 mm film gave better definition than as defined by todays HDTV standards
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I was in Japan in 1988 and NHK were broadcasting HD with stereo sound

I saw a simulated 1250 line HD show at the laboraatories of a european TV manufacturer (Guess Who?) at about the same time. It was streets better than even BR today!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »

Dont doubt you but please supply substantiative links!

Would have to search myself but am sure that I have seen evidence to the contrary...maybe not BBC.
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Would have to search myself but am sure that I have seen evidence to the contrary...maybe not BBC.

I thought you could buy Life on Mars on Blu-Ray ?
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought you could buy Life on Mars on Blu-Ray ?

It's only an upscale of the SD masters though, not proper HD.
    Forum Member
    Please substantiate with appropriate references /links.
    My references are...

No HD ident onscreen that denotes it's made in HD.

No references on Ch4's web site/in any forum/in any TV mag/online TV guide/on either EPG synopsis on Sky/VM.

The shows produced by ITV, almost every edition produced by Yorkshire studios, now closed I believe, highly unlikely there were geared up for HD - recent editions are by Manchester studios, I doubt these are geared up for HD either.

I'll be happy to look at your appropriate references/links why you think it is HD.

You are a pedantic I did say in the last 30 years or so!:mad:!
    I would have been a pedantic if I had said 40yrs.

Saying 30 or so years was being very vague - considering 35mm has been around for 127yrs.

The BBC realises this has caused much concern amongst those who use and love 16mm
    film, We were aware early in 2005 that there were technical problems with 16mm film and we
    made these concerns public in the high definition guide Mr Walters refers to. The guide notes
    that Super16 is a format used by many genres for standard definition delivery, but goes on to
    warn that it is not considered acceptable by many of the long standing high definition
    broadcasters we co-produce programmes with.
    This is not a decision taken by the BBC alone. Information we have from suppliers and
    producers of high definition programmes in the USA and Europe makes it clear that others
    think the same, and although I take your point that there is still a lot of 16mm production,
    virtually none of it is for high definition transmission when compared to the vast amount of
    high definition produced.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/dq/pdf/tv/IMAGO_response.pdf
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My references are...

The shows produced by ITV, almost every edition produced by Yorkshire studios, now closed I believe, highly unlikely there were geared up for HD - recent editions are by Manchester studios, I doubt these are geared up for HD either.

I was of course only referring to the current series not repeats of old episodes. The ITV Manchester Studios (3sixtymedia) are HD equipped.

http://www.how-do.co.uk/north-west-media-news/north-west-broadcasting/itv-spends-a-quarter-of-a-million-upgrading-the-manchester-studios-200804182393/
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    Kudos (the production company) has actually released "Life on Mars" on BluRay. Allegedly it is not very good (for HD) and may back up the BBC's views on 16mm!

I have them, and it is better than SD but not quite HD.
    Forum Member
    I was of course only referring to the current series not repeats of old episodes. The ITV Manchester Studios (3sixtymedia) are HD equipped.

http://www.how-do.co.uk/north-west-media-news/north-west-broadcasting/itv-spends-a-quarter-of-a-million-upgrading-the-manchester-studios-200804182393/
    Nice to see ITV gearing up for HD - but the current series is still upscaled - no HD logo and no references/indication anywhere saying otherwise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see ITV gearing up for HD - but the current series is still upscaled - no HD logo and no references/indication anywhere saying otherwise.

The gearing up was over a year ago. I dont reckon it is upscaled - if its shot, as it appears it is, with HD gear then they downscale it for SD. It looks too good to be upscaled. I agree there is no confirmation one way or the other available.
    Forum Member
    The gearing up was over a year ago. I dont reckon it is upscaled - if its shot, as it appears it is, with HD gear then they downscale it for SD. It looks too good to be upscaled. I agree there is no confirmation one way or the other available.
    Why would they shoot it in HD then downscale it to SD then have to upscale it for their HD channel - the channel broadcasts at 1080, there would be no point.

I agree the images are very good, that's because Ch4 HD upscaling from source is one of the best. With the right equipment you should see noticeable differences between the box/broadcaster upscaling compared to native HD.

It will be well advertised when it goes HD, just like Hollyoaks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    The fact that two people are arguing as to whether it's upscaled or not would seem to indicate that the quality is so good it's hard to tell one way or the other... so what does it really matter? As long as it looks good....
  • 56up56up Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I started a similar thread to this some weeks ago, prompted by Countdown. The set is very "fussy" and you see fringing effects on camera movement that really should not be there if it was HD. I have stopped recording it in HD as it takes up too much space on the box for no real benefit.

Now, "Are You an Egghead?", that's in HD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would they shoot it in HD then downscale it to SD then have to upscale it for their HD channel - the channel broadcasts at 1080, there would be no point.

Er why would they do that? The studio is HD equipped and shoots in HD - I am suggesting that this is passed direct to C4 HD and then downscaled for C4.

I see no fringing effects as sugested by 56up either
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Pride and Prejudice was shot in 16mm and that gets a good review here on bluray

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews44/pride_and_prejudice_blu-ray.htm
  • Chris JamesChris James Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Er why would they do that? The studio is HD equipped and shoots in HD - I am suggesting that this is passed direct to C4 HD and then downscaled for C4.

I see no fringing effects as sugested by 56up either

Gilson

All C4 HD progammes have, rather annoyingly, the HD logo in the top left of the screen, eg Hollyoaks. Countdown does not, and is therefore upscaled only. There are no plans for Countdown to be made in HD in the near furture, and I got that from the series' producer, Damien Eadie, when I was chatting to him fairtly recently. Now are you satisfied?