Options

What's happened to the Arctic Monkeys?

Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Seeing as their last album was a letdown I thought they would come back stronger, but it seems they've completely disappeared.

Any news?

Comments

• Options
    BikoBiko Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard they're on the verge of recording the new record. Interesting to see what they can come up with this time because i feel that they were a kind of right place right time kind of band.. they couldn't sing about being all working class in sheffield anymore so they did try and branch out with humbug but there were mixed results..... I'm hoping they can get back on form as wpsia.. and fwn were pretty brilliant albums
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally Humbug is my favourite record of theres, I love WPSITWIN, but it's a very generic record, and Humbug shows how much they're progressed as a band since then.

Anyway, they're currently writing the new record, they're headlining Benicassim in July, and are strongly rumoured to be headlining V Festival and Oxygen and T In The Park.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few songs on Humbug were OK but the spark wasn't there across the whole record. I'm glad they altered their style though. What's the point in doing album after album with no change at all?
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gone down the same hole of irrelevance as The Cribs and The Kaisers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Humbug seemed to lack a bit of the fight and edge that was so good about their previous efforts. I would like to see that, Humbug does have good songs but the album is not the best
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humbug was an awful album after 2 brilliant albums. Hopefully no.4 will be back to their best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaspanic! wrote: »
    Seeing as their last album was a letdown I thought they would come back stronger, but it seems they've completely disappeared.

Any news?

They forgot what made them interesting and slowly disapeared up their own arse.

Too much self importance and posturing not enough energy and wit, led to an album which made starsailor sound interesting and relevant in comparison.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just wondering what people didn't like about Humbug?

In my opinion, Dance Little Liar is one of the best five songs Arctics have done.
  • Options
    reishunreishun Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they sold out, then disappeared.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    reishun wrote: »

They have hardly disappeared, they did a sold out arena tour at the end of last year.

Why do you think they sold out? To me they have done the opposite, produced a very commercial album and got steadily less commercial.
  • Options
    GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was being mean...

Radio 1 presenters stopped saying they were the greatest band ever and the Artic Monkeys weren't strong enough to stand on their own two feet when the fashionable crowd moved onto the new greatest band ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ben_122 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what people didn't like about Humbug?

In my opinion, Dance Little Liar is one of the best five songs Arctics have done.

I agree that Dance Little Liar was a great track and the stand out on Humbug but the album overall was average. I agree they became too up themselves when ironically when they were just four normal lads from sheffield their music was much better.. I remember seeing them at Reading last year and alex turner came out in a leather jacket and sunglasses (when it was) night. and the whole thing just smelt of pretentiousness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reishun wrote: »

Although humbug isnt as good as the last too, I would disagree that they sold out.. Humbug is much less "commercial" sounding album than their previous, you could say that's what contributed to their downfall
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,262
    Forum Member
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    Gone down the same hole of irrelevance as The Cribs and The Kaisers.

And there you have it. Pretty much down to a tee.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MJ_lives wrote: »
    And there you have it. Pretty much down to a tee.

For every genre that comes and goes, there are a handful of bands that remain popular even once the genre loses commercial appeal.

Glam rock has Bon Jovi.
    Thrash metal has Metallica.
    NWOBHM has Iron Maiden.
    Nu-metal has Linkin Park.
    Hard-rock has AC/DC.
    Indie has Arctic Monkeys.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,262
    Forum Member
    ags_rule wrote: »
    For every genre that comes and goes, there are a handful of bands that remain popular even once the genre loses commercial appeal.

Glam rock has David Bowie.
    Thrash metal has Metallica.
    NWOBHM has Iron Maiden.
    Nu-metal has Linkin Park.
    Hard-rock has AC/DC.
    Indie has The Libertines.

Just corrected that post :)

I know you'll argue about The Libs, but they have way more power and influence on the indie scene than the Arctics. For a band to have split up after only two albums, and still retain huge popularity when in reality they should be forgotten about, hidden gems of the early noughties indie scene. Indie fans care a lot more about The Libertines and their music, gigs, in fact any news about them than they do about AM.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not gonna pretend I'm a scholar on indie, it isn't my thing, but the Arctic Monkeys were more commercially successful than The Libertines ever were. That's what this thread is about, after all, where the Arctic Monkeys have gone to.

I'd argue the point about Bowie as well. Don't get me wrong, I love the guys work, but he's VERY much a retro act. As a contemporary artist he is largely irrelevant, whilst Bon Jovi have defied the odds and gotten increasingly popular as this decade has went on.
  • Options
    Nuartey1Nuartey1 Posts: 2,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They reached their sell by date.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are people talking about them like they're finished? Their last album was fairly successful and they did a sold out arena tour as well.
  • Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they outgrew the tight trousers