60% Set To Lose Benefits In DLA Reforms

Janey JonesJaney Jones Posts: 878
Forum Member
✭✭
Changes to existing awards have now been deferred until 2015, however the Government appear to have already set another arbitrary target of 60% of claimants who will have their benefits reduced or stopped altogether:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2247290/Disability-handouts-cut-stopped-330-000-claimants-Government-aims-end-welfare-life.html

:eek: :mad:

Comments

• wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Changes to existing awards have now been deferred until 2015, however the Government appear to have already set another arbitrary target of 60% of claimants who will have their benefits reduced or stopped altogether:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2247290/Disability-handouts-cut-stopped-330-000-claimants-Government-aims-end-welfare-life.html

:eek: :mad:

Now lots of people will come and post messages doubting the veracity of the Daily Mail article....;)
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    Now lots of people will come and post messages doubting the veracity of the Daily Mail article....;)

Probably right in this instance as they love to have a pop at benefits claimants and are no doubt rubbing their hands in glee. I suspect your average Daily Mail journalist\reader will happily spit at the poor people and disabled living on the streets in a few years time. Either that or they will all end up in concentration camps.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This government really is vile, they make me sick!
  • Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    This government really is vile, they make me sick!

you can claim benefits for that (but not for long).:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Tory minister said the vast majority of claimants – 71 per cent – get the benefit ‘for life’, often having filled in an initial claim form about their capability themselves.

Who else is going to fill in the claim form then? :confused:

Trying to paint it as 'a self certified' benefit when it is not at all. Anyone can fill in a form, whether you get it depends on the information to back the claim up. Also 'for life' claims are not awarded now as far as I know and in the past they were only given rarely to people with incurable problems. Again, all backed up with independent medical reports and subject to assessment by dwp doctors before atos came in to being.
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can claim benefits for that (but not for long).:D

Like laying off over 2000 Remploy workers so now they can call them welfare scroungers too. The Tory Party is sick to its core.
  • WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The system needs reform and you cant let people claim for life with no checks on their disablity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The clampdown comes as new figures suggest that seven in ten of those claiming the benefit go through the system without proper checks.

I don't suggest, I say that, that is poppycock.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WhiteFang wrote: »
    The system needs reform and you cant let people claim for life with no checks on their disablity.

Why does it need reform?

No person ever got a claim for life without independent verification and medical reports. They would have seen a dwp doctor or atos at some time during their claim as well.

*Before atos became involved, medicals were carried out by Doctors employed by the dwp. (DSS)
  • RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    There is so much misrepresentation and factual inaccuracies in this latest effort that it is difficult to know where to begin!

Firstly, it is not true that 7 in 10 go through the system without proper checks. Figures from last year show that the main (not only) source of information used for new claims was 16% claim form only, 42% GP report, 6% medical exam, 36% other source (eg personal care plan report, occupational therapist/physio/hospital report etc). Bearing in mind that 55% of applications were turned down it is safe to assume that most (if not all) the claim form only category were turned down.

Re the increase in claimants, the Mail and government propaganda of course ignores the real picture. Demogaphic factors mean that the true increase is 13% in the last 9 years.

I do not see why the 1 in 17 adults figure is that startling. Given our ageing population, around 1 in 6 are disabled, so that would mean only 1 in 3 qualified for even the most basic amount of £20pw.

It is not true that 71% get DLA for life. Lifetime awards were abolished under Labour. People on indefinite awards can be re-examined at any point.

The supposed overpayments are not even true overpayments as the DWP have always pointed out. DLA is actually overpaid by £220m pa, but underpaid by £300m pa, so a net underpayment of £80m pa.

As for McVey, she is spouting exactly the same hyperbole as Miller. Medical advancements have not cured most of the serious conditions, but have managed to keep ill and disabled people alive for longer.

As for the 60% figure to lose their award or get a reduced award, that is a wild presumption from the rag. Even if that happened with the first batch, a group reporting a change of circumstance or on a short term award (as they have a less serious disability) will not reflect what will happen to those with a more serious disability.

The DLA impact assessment states that instead of 2.2 million working age claimants in 2015/16, there will be 1.7 million...ie just under 25% less. The forecast of who will get what is in the same impact assessment.

As for the supposed use of "medical experts", Atos are using just 19 doctors for the whole of the south and north of the country!

As for why the vicious, arbitrary, savings are being made, Cameron revealed all yesterday when he admitted " We are raising more money for the rich. "
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member

True. You never know when someone's legs will grow back.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the OP has been rather selective with regard to the content of the article to generate an OTT thread title.

The article actually says there are 3.2m claimants of DLA and ministers intend to reassess an initial 560,000 claimants, a group consisting of those who report a change in circumstance or who have been given a time-limited award that comes to an end, and expect that 330,000 or nearly 60 per cent will get no award or a reduced sum after the checks.

It is reasonable to have concerns over a benefit where the number claiming it has trebled over 20 years and the bill runs to over £13b p.a.
    Forum Member
    To save people the bother of looking, these are the forecast caseloads from the impact assessment. One thing that will adversely affect around 800,000 seriously disabled people is the arbitrary decision to abolish the middle rate care component.

2015/16 16-64 PIP rate combination
    Forecast caseload under the second draft criteria
    Enhanced mobility, enhanced daily living
    Enhanced mobility, standard daily living
    Enhanced mobility, no daily living
    Standard mobility, enhanced daily living
    Standard mobility, standard daily living
    Standard mobility, no daily living
    No mobility, enhanced daily living
    No mobility, standard daily living
    Total

2015/16 DLA 16-64 rate combination
    Forecast caseload
    Higher Mobility, Higher Care
    Higher Mobility, Middle Care
    Higher Mobility, Lowest Care
    Higher Mobility, No Care
    Lower Mobility, Higher Care
    Lower Mobility, Middle Care
    Lower Mobility, Lowest Care
    Lower Mobility, No Care
    No Mobility, Higher Care
    No Mobility, Middle Care
    No Mobility, Lowest Care
    Total
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »

It is reasonable to have concerns over a benefit where the number claiming it has trebled over 20 years and the bill runs to over £13b p.a.

Much of the increase is down to demographic factors. Prior to the introduction of DLA people went onto Attendance Allowance on reaching age 65. With DLA, people can continue their claim beyond age 65. In 1992, therefore, there were no DLA claimants over the age of 65.

There are 1 now million DLA claimants over the age of 65. These people are of course protected yet again while the working age claimants take another arbitrary hammering, and of course the government and rags fail to provide a true picture of the increase in claimant numbers.
  • Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Like laying off over 2000 Remploy workers so now they can call them welfare scroungers too. The Tory Party is sick to its core.

thats your assumption. if you can prove someone has, or is going to call them scroungers, please link to it. i for one woudn't call them that.

Although the Remploy ideal is a noble one, it was running at a loss, so hopefully future employment can be found for those laid off.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For certain disabilities we can and we should. So we need to spend money constantly checking things such as legs have grown back or blindness have gone away? Some disabilities can't go away. Why waste tax payers money on medicals and interviews for them. Some private company will be fleecing us no doubt, is it atos?
  • shortyknickersshortyknickers Posts: 2,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's ATOS in many parts of England and Scotland
  • WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Genuine disabled should get money and support but there has to be proper checks first.You cant run a system like it was.
  • razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member
    Genuine disabled should get money and support but there has to be proper checks first.You cant run a system like it was.

But why waste money on checking to see if a blind person still cannot see or such like. I thought we did niot believe in miracles these days.

The government needs to be much clearer about what the allowances are designed to achieve.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much of the increase is down to demographic factors. Prior to the introduction of DLA people went onto Attendance Allowance on reaching age 65. With DLA, people can continue their claim beyond age 65. In 1992, therefore, there were no DLA claimants over the age of 65.

There are 1 now million DLA claimants over the age of 65.

Don't you just love statistics and it will all change next year when DLA is replaced with PIP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are proper checks. I had a DWP doctor come to my house to assess me. He even checked the wheels of my chair and the tips on my sticks for signs of wear and tear.

I sent off every single letter, appointment and prescription list I've ever had over the past 3 years. My GP, neurologist, psychiatrist, rheumatologist, physiotherapist and MS nurse each had to fill in a form and provide medical evidence to back up my claim.

Also, what is "Genuine Disabled"?
  • evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    Probably right in this instance as they love to have a pop at benefits claimants and are no doubt rubbing their hands in glee. I suspect your average Daily Mail journalist\reader will happily spit at the poor people and disabled living on the streets in a few years time. Either that or they will all end up in concentration camps.

:rolleyes: Don't be so silly and over dramatic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    For certain disabilities we can and we should. So we need to spend money constantly checking things such as legs have grown back or blindness have gone away? Some disabilities can't go away. Why waste tax payers money on medicals and interviews for them. Some private company will be fleecing us no doubt, is it atos?

I agree there are certain disabilities which have a permanent medical diagnosis and aren't going to change so such people will require ongoing financial support when PIP, the replacement for DLA, is introduced. I can only imagine for such people it is the rate they receive that will be reviewed.
  • trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »

Talk about hysterical overreaction.
  • NaughtyNanNaughtyNan Posts: 9,445
    Forum Member
    The very least the Tories could have done was to delay the reform who knows maybe some people's leg could actually grow back or people with mental health issues could as if by a miracle of godly proportion change their genetic make up and suddenly jump up with joy and get hold of a non existence full time job.