Going to prison for non payment of TV licence

yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
Forum Member
✭✭
My neighbour has just been sent down for 12 days for not paying her licence. Her kids have gone to live with their grandparents until she gets back.

Whilst it is a family with lots of problems, mostly drug related, it does seem harsh to me that someone could go to prison for not paying a bill. Why couldn't the debt have been deducted straight from her benefits instead? Our jails are packed and there are criminals who have committed burglaries or assaults who get away with community service or less. How is sending her to prison going to do anything to change her ways, when she's just going to come home and start spending her money on drugs again?

Comments

• stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The more important question, of course, is if they're gonna send people down for not paying their TV license, then why isn't Noel bloody Edmonds doing time?
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You never know it may be a massive shock to her and might help her realise what drugs are doing to her and her family, a blessing in disguise if you like. Sad for the kids.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there has to be something else at work here because I doubt anyone would be sent down for just that - especially someone with kids
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there has to be something else at work here because I doubt anyone would be sent down for just that - especially someone with kids

Maybe they were making terrible game shows on the side?
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    You never know it may be a massive shock to her and might help her realise what drugs are doing to her and her family, a blessing in disguise if you like. Sad for the kids.

I really do hope so. But she'll need a lot of support for her and the kids dad to get drug free. They are smashing kids despite all their parents issues so they seem to be doing something right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She didn't show up at court so perhaps that's why they gave her a custodial sentance.
    She handed herself in the next morning once she'd made childcare arrangements.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have read before than women are more likely to get prison time for this sort of thing than men.
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    just dont let them into your house
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think technically she's been sent away for non payment of fines, but the fine is for not having a tv licence. Presumably when she gets out she'll still have the fine to pay.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    I think technically she's been sent away for non payment of fines, but the fine is for not having a tv licence. Presumably when she gets out she'll still have the fine to pay.

I was googling around and apparently people do get sent down for this but it's more as you've said - defaulting on fines.

although interestingly, in ireland, the figures say that 97.5% of people jailed for this, regardless of the size of the fine, walk free from jail within a few hours.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/vast-majority-jailed-for-tv-licence-fines-walk-free-within-hours-1.1517596

I'm still surprised they sent her down though as I would have thought the fact she had kids would have not necessarily meant she'd have gotten off with it, but more that she'd have been given the opportunity to pay it off in installments or something like that.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody ridiculous sending someone to prison for not paying their TV license. They are overcrowded enough as it is.
  • Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a popular fallacy - no-one is jailed for not paying the licence. They are jailed for contempt of court for not paying the fine (and the authorities will have gone through other procedures first). The idea is to give that person a while to think about their behaviour, when nothing else has worked.
  • PenrosePenrose Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to pay mine so balls to her and all who won't. Bunch of shithouses who want something for nothing.
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    Bloody ridiculous sending someone to prison for not paying their TV license. They are overcrowded enough as it is.

television stations own us
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Disgrace! Can't even get jailed for murder these days, etc, etc.
  • delazarousdelazarous Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Are you joking?
    Drugs are never more available than in prison.
  • xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    just dont let them into your house
    ^This!

However, I find it very sad how way too many people, especially elderly people don't know their rights when it comes to this sort of thing! :cry:
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if she thought she was "unjailable"? I'd hazard a guess she did and got a right nasty shock when the beak passed sentence.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    xp95 wrote: »
    ^This!

However, I find it very sad how way too many people, especially elderly people don't know their rights when it comes to this sort of thing! :cry:

I find it sad that those that clearly do need a license refuse to get one and go through a ritual of avoiding tvl when they knock at the door.
    It's all quite simple really, if you don't want a license don't watch or record live tv. If you do then pay up like the rest of us.
    I'm not quite sure what the above poster classes as elderly as anyone aged 75 and over are entitled to a free tv license anyway.
  • xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    I find it sad that those that clearly do need a license refuse to get one and go through a ritual of avoiding tvl when they knock at the door.
    It's all quite simple really, if you don't want a license don't watch or record live tv. If you do then pay up like the rest of us.
    *Backs away and closes the door very slowly.* :eek:
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    xp95 wrote: »
    *Backs away and closes the door very slowly. :eek:

I added another sentence just for you ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that it was ok for her not to pay her tv licence initially. But to slap a £600 fine on someone who didn't pay it because she didn't have the money (for whatever reason) and then send her to prison when she can't pay the fine, seems extreme.

You don't get that large a fine if you get behind on repayments of other items such as water or council tax.

This family is the same one I've mentioned before, where the kids usually go without heat or hot food each week when the benefits run out, because mum and dad have addiction to drugs. So the chances of them paying the fine was zero really.

Perhaps now social services might get involved and fingers crossed the parents will go back on the methadone. Heaven knows what state she's in right now because she's pregnant and I doubt she'll be given anything to help with withdrawals. In the meantime the Dad was seen selling some furniture from their flat whilst she's away!
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,411
    Forum Member
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    My neighbour has just been sent down for 12 days for not paying her licence. Her kids have gone to live with their grandparents until she gets back.

Whilst it is a family with lots of problems, mostly drug related, it does seem harsh to me that someone could go to prison for not paying a bill. Why couldn't the debt have been deducted straight from her benefits instead? Our jails are packed and there are criminals who have committed burglaries or assaults who get away with community service or less. How is sending her to prison going to do anything to change her ways, when she's just going to come home and start spending her money on drugs again?

Ultimately, this situation is all her own fault and all her own doing. If she has any sense, she will reflect on the poor life choices that she has made whilst inside prison and will then seek help with her addictions and other problems when she is released. If she voluntarily chooses to perpetuate her current unfortunate lifestyle then it is likely that she will get into trouble again.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Does not really make much sense, as it will cost the tax payer about £2,000 to keep her in prison plus what ever the case cost, she will be out in 6 days if she only serves half her sentence, if she serves 12 days then the cost will go up to about £4,000 plus this now wipes off what ever she owed in fines
  • John RobinsonJohn Robinson Posts: 2,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have the ideal solution.

Build more prisons!

Seriously, though, if prisons were less attractive - we could start by introducing hard labour, for example - they would be less popular.