Harriet Harmen "Lib dems will pay the price next May"

OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Interesting she says that considering the possibilities of a Coalition. Labour surely must be able to comprehend that they may need the Lib Dems to govern?

Madness :p

Comments

• trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even more surprising G Brown Esq promised he'd abolished boom and bust. And he didn't even have to deal with a larger coalition partner. Harman knows an awful lot about broken promises.

Sanctimonious, aloof, clueless woman. I absolutely cannot stand her.
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting she says that considering the possibilities of a Coalition. Labour surely must be able to comprehend that they may need the Lib Dems to govern?

In what context will the Liberals 'Pay the Price'? for forming a coalition with the Conservatives, or another reason?
  • delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh Harriet, wait till you collect the price of your blood pact with the tories in Scotland
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John146 wrote: »
    In what context will the Liberals 'Pay the Price'? for forming a coalition with the Conservatives, or another reason?

The Lib Dems were over the second the whole Student Fees thing happened. Their core vote was students. They will never get that back.
  • Analogue110Analogue110 Posts: 3,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All parties go into an election with the hope of winning so you can hardly expect her to be nice to the Lib-Dems just in case they may need them.

Assuming that Labour are the largest party after the next GE they may decide to form a minority government, and challenge the other parties to bring it down, and face the electorate again.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh Harriet, wait till you collect the price of your blood pact with the tories in Scotland

Sounds v melodramatic but I don't really understand it. Harriet is collecting what exactly?
  • DerekPAgainDerekPAgain Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour are betting the house on the fractured vote scenario with the Tories, UKIP and the Lib Dems fighting it out while they sail serenely on with their core vote who are 100% loyal.:o:D

Big majority with 35% of the vote thanks to FPTP.

I just don't think they realise how much UKIP is going to hurt them in the urban Labour strongholds in the North.

All parties (excepting UKIP) are going to see their votes fall - and all parties (including UKIP) are going to be disappointed with the outcome.

Going to make the West Lothian Question really important post May 2015 if it wasn't important enough already.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Labour are betting the house on the fractured vote scenario with the Tories, UKIP and the Lib Dems fighting it out while they sail serenely on with their core vote who are 100% loyal.:o:D

Big majority with 35% of the vote thanks to FPTP.

I just don't think they realise how much UKIP is going to hurt them in the urban Labour strongholds in the North.

All parties (excepting UKIP) are going to see their votes fall - and all parties (including UKIP) are going to be disappointed with the outcome.

Going to make the West Lothian Question really important post May 2015 if it wasn't important enough already.

I always feel confused when people say UKIP will harm Labour as I don't see it. UKIP stand for everything Labour isn't. UKIP are a far right party. If they have taken on Labour support then something is a miss here..
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone's been saying the Lib Dems will pay the price next year- and a number of people on this Forum have especially have been saying so loudly and eagerly licking their lips with anticipation...
    But now that Harriet Harman has said it it's derision all round.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Lib Dems were over the second the whole Student Fees thing happened. Their core vote was students. They will never get that back.

They were in trouble from the moment that Clegg was shown having his love in with Cameron when the coalition was announced. Lib Dem voters could maybe stomach the coalition if they were convinced it was for the good of the country but it should have been made clear they were very different parties, most Lib Dem voters would have preferred a pact with Labour but the numbers (and probably Clegg) didn't add up.
  • delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Sounds v melodramatic but I don't really understand it. Harriet is collecting what exactly?

the loss of 25 Scottish Labour MPs
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone's been saying the Lib Dems will pay the price next year- and a number of people on this Forum have especially have been saying so loudly and eagerly licking their lips with anticipation...
    But now that Harriet Harman has said it it's derision all round.

The Lib Dems will suffer at the next election and they were always going to the moment the coalition was announced, nothing they could have done after that could have stopped it. They are not finished however any more than the Tories were when Blair won, just knocked back.
  • trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Even more surprising G Brown Esq promised he'd abolished boom and bust. And he didn't even have to deal with a larger coalition partner. Harman knows an awful lot about broken promises.

Sanctimonious, aloof, clueless woman. I absolutely cannot stand her.

Did you see her yesterday clapping like a mindless seal and looking duey eyed up at Ed like some adoring mother:D
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member

Assuming that Labour are the largest party after the next GE they may decide to form a minority government, and challenge the other parties to bring it down, and face the electorate again.

I think Labour will manage to bring themselves down without any help from the other parties :D
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    They were in trouble from the moment that Clegg was shown having his love in with Cameron when the coalition was announced. Lib Dem voters could maybe stomach the coalition if they were convinced it was for the good of the country but it should have been made clear they were very different parties, most Lib Dem voters would have preferred a pact with Labour but the numbers (and probably Clegg) didn't add up.

But which Lib Dem voters?

Their strongholds in the south/west country would have hated a pact with Labour.

People don't seem to understand that the LD have always positioned themselves as nearer Labour or Conservative depending on where/which area they are fighting.

You don't get the same LD across the whole of the country.
    You think they would have won Winchester, when they did, if they presented themselves as "Labour Lite"?

The one thing that the last election did was to expose LD duplicity.
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Boring and tiresome rhetoric from the boring and tiresome Harmen carries little weight these days and as you say, if five minutes after the results come out next May there's another hung parliament she'll be singing a completely different tune.

It doesn't say much for Labour's conference if even before the cleaners have had a chance to sweep up she's having to resort to playing the man as opposed to enthusiastically championing what Labour have to offer. :D
  • davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the loss of 25 Scottish Labour MPs

Only 25?!!

There is a potential perfect storm coming for Labour in Scotland and no amount of pleading that somehow this will benefit the Conservatives will prevent that.
  • DerekPAgainDerekPAgain Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always feel confused when people say UKIP will harm Labour as I don't see it. UKIP stand for everything Labour isn't. UKIP are a far right party. If they have taken on Labour support then something is a miss here..

Labour support = predominately working class = we hate the rich
    UKIP support = predominately working class = we hate the immigrants

Which one do you hate more?:(
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Their strong immigration control policies appeal to voters of all parties.
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which doesn't say much about the intelligence of our students if they can't figure out that a party who came a distant third in a UK general election can't be expected to standby policies that were unique to said party and that compromises have to be made in coalitions or else the entire system of government descends into chaos.

Had the Lib-Dems won the last election by a majority and tsubsequentlyreneged on that pledge then fair enough, but they were never given a mandate to fulfill that promise through the ballot box so it, along with the entire 2010 Labour manifesto is just so much rubbish for the recycling bin.

Harmen might have a point if over the past few days we heard Labour announcing policy change on student fees. Did anyone hear them promising to reduce them back to the level they were during the last Labour govt or even scrap them? I didn't.

All I heard has been the final throw of the desperate dice from Labour. The NHS and scaremongery about what they think the tories will do to it. It's the only card they've got left in the deck what with them having been on the wrong side of pretty much every other argument throughout this entire government.

People have wisened up to the spin, the half truths, the lack of clarity, direction and conviction from Labour. Ed tries to make out he's some kind of conviction politician by forever banging on about how he dared to stand up to Rupert bloody Murdoch...

..change the record Ed. Bravado from the relative obscurity of the opposition benches is nowt but empty words, particularly when he feels the need to keep on mentioning it.

Labour and in particular Ed are kidding no-one who bothers to pause for thought for more than a few seconds.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure that the GBP don't think in terms of left wing or right wing. They have issues that bug them and that they want sorted. From the research I've seen many people traditionally seen as supporting left wing parties have a big problem with Immigration and Europe. Since the left wing don't appear to want to help them, it's only natural they gravitate elsewhere.
  • JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Labour voters are increasingly seeing the affects of uncontrolled immigration especially up north - pressure on the NHS/schools/housing, cheap foreign labour eroding their jobs. Milliband omitted to even mention how they would address it in his speech yesterday. They feel they are not being listened to and that is why they are are and will turn to UKIP.
  • Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hatty is relying on the Lib Dem vote collapse to help Labour squeak a majority. She knows she can't rely on Ed to bring the 35% "majority" home.
  • nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But which Lib Dem voters?

Their strongholds in the south/west country would have hated a pact with Labour.

People don't seem to understand that the LD have always positioned themselves as nearer Labour or Conservative depending on where/which area they are fighting.

You don't get the same LD across the whole of the country.
    You think they would have won Winchester, when they did, if they presented themselves as "Labour Lite"?

The one thing that the last election did was to expose LD duplicity.

Exactly. The lib dems have for years played local politics with only a vague national policy structure. They've also been very good at making things personal and playing every nasty card they could.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    The Lib Dems may pay the price, but after Miliband's speech yesterday, Labour don't seem to want to pay the deficit.