Books that terrify you as an adult

strawberry66strawberry66 Posts: 1,822
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have just reread Graham Mastertons book "Mirror" I read about 16 years ago and it stuck in my mind.
I forgot just how scary it was :eek: and I didn't sleep very well the other night after reading it.

I am an adult :o so you would have thought I would have grown out of being scared like that

Comments

• NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only one book has truly terrified me, and also many of my friends to whom I recommended it: "House of Leaves" by Mark Z Danielewski. It is my favourite book (it must be as I own two copies already and hope to have a third soon! - paperback, signed first edition hardback, and hopefully a limited edition hardback by the end of the year) and isn't like anything else I've ever read before. Truly astonishing, and scary as hell.
  • padpad Posts: 6,699
    Forum Member
    My tax return :(

p.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    Slugs, couldn't finish it.
  • SalbatesSalbates Posts: 2,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IT by Stephen King and Lost World Michael Crichton, they both have given me nightmares! :(
  • mozamoza Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IT terrifies me, too. I've read it half a dozen times, I *know* it's fiction, and I *stll* expect to see Pennywise lurking in the dark.... :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scariest book I've ever read was Dracula. I read it about 5 years ago (very much as an adult) and I had to sleep with the light on :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    magwitch wrote:
    The scariest book I've ever read was Dracula. I read it about 5 years ago (very much as an adult) and I had to sleep with the light on :eek:

Dracula is pretty scarey :eek:

Cool name btw :) Dickens reference by ay chance?? I've just read Great Expectations for my English Lit exam :) Great book :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    magwitch wrote:

Same here. There are no gory descriptions, but Bram Stokers - Dracula is terrifying. I have read it a few times now, and it just gets more frightening on each read.
  • toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Shining sacred the shit out of me :o "here's Johnny"

*shudder*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a copy of 'A Clockwork Orange' at home waiting to be read, but I keep on putting it off as the cover scares me. :( It's the one with an eye being help open with some sort of contraption.

I think it's probably not a good idea to read a book if I can't even look at the cover! I'm such a wuss :p
  • strawberry66strawberry66 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a copy of 'A Clockwork Orange' at home waiting to be read, but I keep on putting it off as the cover scares me. :( It's the one with an eye being help open with some sort of contraption.

I think it's probably not a good idea to read a book if I can't even look at the cover! I'm such a wuss :p

Lol I only managed to watch half of the film before turning it off, made me feel sick :o

I love IT but it didn't scare me in a "can't sleep" way, :)
  • mozamoza Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IT didn't scare me in a can't sleep way either, I just kept expecting to see Pennywise, that's all!

Funnily enough, the clockwork baddies in last week's Dr Who had a similar effect - I expected to see one of them lurking in dark corners.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salbates wrote:
    Dracula is pretty scarey :eek:

Cool name btw :)Dickens reference by ay chance?? I've just read Great Expectations for my English Lit exam :) Great book :)
    Yup. It's one of my favourite books. I love Dickens. I know he has faults but these are far outweighed, for me, by his passion and humour and sheer bloody talent for characterisation. Great Expectations is a near perfect novel, I think.

Aaargh :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    magwitch wrote:
    Yup. It's one of my favourite books. I love Dickens. I know he has faults but these are far outweighed, for me, by his passion and humour and sheer bloody talent for characterisation. Great Expectations is a near perfect novel, I think.

Aaargh :D

Dickens was an amazing writer. He had an eye for detail and a gift for reflecting Victorian life that was unmatched IMO.
  • Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Rats by James Herbert. Mainly because they are juist so creepy and dirty and the thought of them scuttling around *shivers*
  • creamsodacreamsoda Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Exorcist - There was a section in the middle about 50 pages, and I couldn't read them, I had to turn them over. So I've only read the middle and the end.
  • cloverclover Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nasalhair wrote:
    Only one book has truly terrified me, and also many of my friends to whom I recommended it: "House of Leaves" by Mark Z Danielewski. It is my favourite book (it must be as I own two copies already and hope to have a third soon! - paperback, signed first edition hardback, and hopefully a limited edition hardback by the end of the year) and isn't like anything else I've ever read before. Truly astonishing, and scary as hell.

Agree with that, but only the bits about the house. The bits about the man discovering the document about the house (it was a while ago since I read it so I can't remember exact details) was a bit boring so I skipped it. But the house bits - skin-crawling.

Also The Shining and It by Stephen King. I can't see one of those storm drains without thinking of Pennywise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1984 says it all really
  • NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clover wrote:
    Agree with that, but only the bits about the house. The bits about the man discovering the document about the house (it was a while ago since I read it so I can't remember exact details) was a bit boring so I skipped it. But the house bits - skin-crawling.

Also The Shining and It by Stephen King. I can't see one of those storm drains without thinking of Pennywise.
    What??? You skipped some of "House of Leaves"? You can't do that!

The scariest thing about the book is when you REALLY read it and see just how multi-layered it is. It took Mark Danielewski ten years to write it and, when you look deeply into the book and see how much hidden stuff there is (a hell of a lot) you realise why it took him so long. Have a look at this website to see what people have found, and just how far it goes. A truly unique and utterly terrifying book.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hp lovecraft
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    I felt very wary of going to sleep while I read Kiss the Girls by james patterson

the thought of someone watching me from inside the house somewhere when I was alone gave me the willies
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    pad wrote:
    My tax return :(

p.
    I know how you feel :(
  • peaches41peaches41 Posts: 5,652
    Forum Member
    Rosemary's Baby was pretty scarey.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    I read a book, I think it was called The Running Man which I could not put down but was glad to finish. It was made into a film which, unusually was almost as good as the book.
    Starred, I think, Dustin Hoffman as the running man and Laurence Olivier as a fiendish dentist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    running man was by stephen king