Why does it matter what someone names their kid?

13»

Comments

• Tamryn29Tamryn29 Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And a very good film too! :)

Agreed! Though not why we named her that :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you should remember Peaches Geldofs statement
    urging these "stars" to end the silly naming of their children (her words) as it has haunted her ALL her life.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cupotea wrote: »
    I'm sure that's what Posh Spice had in mind :D I think the football shirt explanation is the more likely one.

Yeah, I just googled it, and the Hebrew thing sounds made up. :confused: I don't mind the name, and it's far from the strangest I'v heard. So, not only was Beckham's football shirt a 7, Harper was born 7lbs, at 7:55 in the seventh month. So, not so random, after all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you should remember Peaches Geldofs statement
    urging these "stars" to end the silly naming of their children (her words) as it has haunted her ALL her life.

I'm pretty sure if Peaches Geldof was called Mary Ann, she'd still be an insufferable little shit. Her name is the very least of her problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure if Peaches Geldof was called Mary Ann, she'd still be an insufferable little shit. Her name is the very least of her problem.

any nasty comments about these?
    David Bowie called his son Zowie - but he had that changed by deedpoll to Duncan.
    Keith Richards's daughter Dandelion tells everyone her name is Angela.

goalposts moved
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    any nasty comments about these?
    David Bowie called his son Zowie - but he had that changed by deedpoll to Duncan.
    Keith Richards's daughter Dandelion tells everyone her name is Angela.

goalposts moved

No, it's just that I can't stand Peaches Geldof. The name is okay, she on the other hand is a pain in the ass. Like I said, her name is the least of her problems.

I always thought Duncan's name was always Duncan. Besides, he makes very cool films.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Oh it's HARPER Seven!!

I thought they had just named her after the time of birth.
    Ha ha ha ha
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Nicolas Cage called his son Kal-El (after Superman) and Jermaine Jackson named one of his kids Jermajesty
  • Nice N NormalNice N Normal Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    Jermaine Jackson named one of his kids Jermajesty

That is just pure genius
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Ha ha ha ha

40 minutes later and they would have to have called her,

Tempest Eight. :)
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it the number on his England shirt?

According that font of all knowledge (AKA Daybreak :eek:) 7 is the number Bekham wore for England, Posh is 37, baby weighed 7lbs something and was born in 7th month :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    Nicolas Cage called his son Kal-El (after Superman) and Jermaine Jackson named one of his kids Jermajesty
    That is just pure genius

Jermajesty is one of my all time favourites.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Yeah, I just googled it, and the Hebrew thing sounds made up. :confused: I don't mind the name, and it's far from the strangest I'v heard. So, not only was Beckham's football shirt a 7, Harper was born 7lbs, at 7:55 in the seventh month. So, not so random, after all.

Wasn't 'Seven' George Costanza's chosen baby name in an episode of Seinfeld? (Do you think the Beckhams watch Seinfeld?) I remember thinking it was quite a good idea at the time (although, no doubt, it was meant to be ridiculous). If you forget the meaning of the word and concentrate on the sound, 'Seven' does sound like a name....maybe I would spell it 'Sevin' though.

I don't care what other people name their kids. My kid will have a family name though, I don't want it to be something random or something I just like the sound of.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    40 minutes later and they would have to have called her,

Tempest Eight. :)

:D:D:D:D:D

Or if she'd been conceived in an afternoon train that ran over a cat.

Halfpuss four.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry about kids getting bullied about their names. When I was helping my son choose a name for his DS puppy, I was suggesting names like Bob, Eric and Dave and he was looking at me like I'd gone mad "suggest a proper name, those aren't even names".
    It's just fashion, if I had a baby now and called it Richard or Susan, they'd probably get laughed at when they started school for having a weird name.
    Variety is nice, I honestly know so many young Jack's, Jessica's, Charlotte's and Joshua's, it's a blessed relief to hear something different, even if it is a little 'out there'.
  • Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, so Victoria Beckham named her kid Harper Seven, which is a bit different, but not the absolute worst. She is getting some stick from people about not giving her a "normal name."

I'm having another baby at the end of this year/beginning next (my kids have a habit of turning up a week or two after their due dates!) and I have chosen one boy's name and one girl's name, as I have no idea what I am having. My other two children have quite ordinary names and this one will be no different.

My big question is --why does it matter? Obviously, I think we'd have a problem if a kid was named after an STI, was called Paedo Rapist Jones, or after an infamous dictator/war criminal. However, is Tiger Lily so bad? Should we really care if a child's name looks like what would happen if a Scrabble game threw up? As long as it isn't your kid, why does it matter? We can't all be John, Mary, Anne or Joe.

Viva variety and hey, it does give us something to talk about.

It doesn't matter at all, it's just comforting to know that despite all their money and good luck that they are really just a couple of morons.

All it would have taken would have been a couple of things in their lives to have gone differently and they would just be a couple of no marks living some crappy life in obscurity.
  • SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    It doesn't matter at all, it's just comforting to know that despite all their money and good luck that they are really just a couple of morons.

All it would have taken would have been a couple of things in their lives to have gone differently and they would just be a couple of no marks living some crappy life in obscurity.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. :confused:

Are you trying to say that DB became a top professional footballer due to a couple of random chance events? Isn't it mainly down to the natural talent he was born with combined with hard work and ambition?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    angel1ka wrote: »
    Wasn't 'Seven' George Costanza's chosen baby name in an episode of Seinfeld? (Do you think the Beckhams watch Seinfeld?) I remember thinking it was quite a good idea at the time (although, no doubt, it was meant to be ridiculous). If you forget the meaning of the word and concentrate on the sound, 'Seven' does sound like a name....maybe I would spell it 'Sevin' though.

Hahaha I forgot about that! Love Seinfeld http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRUdaWZ4FN0
    "Ketchup. Pretty name for a girl" :D
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    As someone who as various points seriously considered calling her future children either Munkustrap, Tantomile, Coricopat, Bombalurina, Ecetera, Jellylorum, Pouncival, Growltiger or Mungojerrie I say it dosn't matter, but we all love a good gossip. :D

That's not me planning to have 9 kids there, its just names for the 2 or 3 I plan on having. And they're all characters from Cats, just to stop the confused looks on your faces.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone who as various points seriously considered calling her future children either Munkustrap, Tantomile, Coricopat, Bombalurina, Ecetera, Jellylorum, Pouncival, Growltiger or Mungojerrie I say it dosn't matter, but we all love a good gossip. :D

That's not me planning to have 9 kids there, its just names for the 2 or 3 I plan on having. And they're all characters from Cats, just to stop the confused looks on your faces.

What's wrong with Rumtumtugger?
    Forum Member
    What's wrong with Rumtumtugger?

It would have to be 3 seperate words, Rum Tum Tugger, I couldn't merge them, then the kid would just be called Rum which would look really bad on me :p
  • darkmothdarkmoth Posts: 12,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »
    Because kids will tease them at school - well maybe not at their school but people who give their kids pretentious names in general, why would you saddle them with that disadvantage.

I don't agree....I teach some kids with horrendous names...but it's only us oldies who notice, other kids don't
    Forum Member
    darkmoth wrote: »
    I don't agree....I teach some kids with horrendous names...but it's only us oldies who notice, other kids don't

I've always assumed a name, even if it is silly or weird, becomes just that. If you're introduced to someone with a certain name you just compartmentalise that as a name rather than a word.

And anyway if kids want to take the micky out of someone they can turn even the most commonplace name into an insult.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    except her name is Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily Hutchence, the fact she chopped the first two says........

and i kid you not if you have not heard these, if you think these are ok please take someone with you when you register yours;)

Moxie Crimefighter
    Pilot Inspektor
    Bronx Mowgli
    Diva Thin Muffin
    Speck Wildhorse
    Moon Unit
    Harley Quinn (lol anyone else old enough to remember the cigar advert?)

The weddings of these will have the congregation in stitches

Looking at the first names only I think the only truly awful ones from that list are Diva & Speck:eek:

Must be a bit embarrassing when filling out official paperwork having to put Thin Muffin as your middle two names though!
  • AfterlifeAfterlife Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Profiterole Honey. :)