NFL 2012-13 thread

Comments

• dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow !
    Just put the tv on and the Patriots are getting bashed.
    Didn't expect that. 31-3. In the 3rd.
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    Wow !
    Just put the tv on and the Patriots are getting bashed.
    Didn't expect that. 31-3. In the 3rd.

They pulled that back to 31-31 but then gave away a touch down away literally 2 plays after they levelled, 49ers went on to win 41-34, amazing game which I missed the last 2 minutes of thanks to sky+ :mad:
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't really know what to make of that Pats/Niners game. The stats suggest that the Pats were probably the better team if not for the crucial factor of turnovers.

1st Downs - SF: 19, NE: 32
    Total Plays - SF: 65, NE: 92
    Total Yards - SF: 383, NE: 520

But then there's the fumbles:

SF: 6, Lost 1
    NE: 2, Lost 2

Tempted to write the game off as the product of bad luck on fumble recoveries (studies have shown fumble recovery is essentially random and you would expect to lose half of your fumbles). Maybe you can get away with bad luck on fumbles against a poor team but against a good team like SF it's too much to overcome.

Now the Pats are screwed on seeding, looks almost certain to be the 3 seed with a trip to Manning's Denver in round 2, that's a very costly loss.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loads of fumbles in pats/49ers but the conditions were very wet, and surely contributed.

having got back in to it at 31-31, pats then allowed a 60 yard kick off return, and TD next play.

brady then played an awful set of downs failing with a 4th and 2 conversion from his own 15yd line approx. 49ers only managed a field goal, but it was game over.

one long review early on, when pats recovered a punt after the receiver misfielded. in the end it was ruled no recovery, as the receiver didn't touch it. impossible to tell clearly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Don't really know what to make of that Pats/Niners game. The stats suggest that the Pats were probably the better team if not for the crucial factor of turnovers.

1st Downs - SF: 19, NE: 32
    Total Plays - SF: 65, NE: 92
    Total Yards - SF: 383, NE: 520

But then there's the fumbles:

SF: 6, Lost 1
    NE: 2, Lost 2

Tempted to write the game off as the product of bad luck on fumble recoveries (studies have shown fumble recovery is essentially random and you would expect to lose half of your fumbles). Maybe you can get away with bad luck on fumbles against a poor team but against a good team like SF it's too much to overcome.

Now the Pats are screwed on seeding, looks almost certain to be the 3 seed with a trip to Manning's Denver in round 2, that's a very costly loss.
    The pats were blown away for most of the game, they looked like a bunch of amateurs first half, they only had the quick spell where they got the four touchdowns, the rest of the game they were totally outplayed, having said that, the spell where they did get the four touchdowns they were awesome.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loads of fumbles in pats/49ers but the conditions were very wet, and surely contributed.

having got back in to it at 31-31, pats then allowed a 60 yard kick off return, and TD next play.

brady then played an awful set of downs failing with a 4th and 2 conversion from his own 15yd line approx. 49ers only managed a field goal, but it was game over.

one long review early on, when pats recovered a punt after the receiver misfielded. in the end it was ruled no recovery, as the receiver didn't touch it. impossible to tell clearly.
    The ex NFL player in the studio said that the wet conditions were no excuse as the balls are kept dry to stop it affecting play and they had loads of balls which were kept undercover for this reason, add to that the fact that New England are far more used to these conditions than SF plus the fact that New England supposedly train outdoors whatever the weather.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello all, new to this thread but have been watching NFL for a few years on C4 and more recently BBC RB. I am loving this season so far and I am very impressed with Kaepernick. I do think the Pats game was a one off blip and I do think that the weather has an effect, regardless of training. The rain affects players:
    Footing - even if they don't slip they are conscious of it.
    Grip - dispite the ball being dried there is always water on both it and the players.
    Vision - with reaction times key, having the ball fly through the rain causes problems picking it out as quick.

I recorded the Jets game last night and do not know the result. Please no spoilers!

Who is everyones favorite to make the superbowl? Can Kaepernick cope with the pressure of knockout football?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NFL Atlanta Falcons and Detroit Lions will be live at 1:25am on the BBC Red Button
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NFL Atlanta Falcons and Detroit Lions will be live at 1:25am on the BBC Red Button

Watching this now. They just said that Tim Tebow is joining the Jags for next season
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really can't see the sense of any team (and especially their fanbase) wanting Tebow.

They'd have to install an offensive system that no back up could handle - or will want - and, frankly, I don't think he's that good anyway. He's a player whose hype is well ahead of his ability and brings a massive, distracting media circus.

When the Jets traded (yes, traded:eek:) for him last year I thought that if I'd have been Sanchez I'd have walked straight into the Head Office and demanded a trade..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    The NFL website doesn't mention it - and they would jump on such a rumour.

I really can't see any team (and especially their fanbase) wanting Tebow.

They'd have to install an offensive system that no back up could handle - or will want - and, frankly, I don't think he's that good anyway. He's a player whose hype is well ahead of his ability and brings a massive, distracting media circus.

When the Jets traded (yes, traded:eek:) for him last year I thought that if I'd have been Sanchez I'd have walked straight into the Head Office and demanded a trade..

I agree with your logic for not wanting him 'football' wise
    The commentators said it was a way to try and fill the empty seats in the Jags stadium by signing a 'media star'
    During the discussion on this , they also mentioned that there is a strong rumour that Micheal Vick will be joining the Jets....
    Strangely enough, I think that might work
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Calvin Johnson broke Jerry Rice's 17 year old receiving yards record last night
    Megatron needs 108 yards in the last game to break 2,000 yards !!
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    Watching this now. They just said that Tim Tebow is joining the Jags for next season

Did they? I thought they said he would be a good fit, not that it was definite.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did they? I thought they said he would be a good fit, not that it was definite.

They were commenting on an ESPN reporter who said that he'd spoken to 'league sources' who said it was a "virtual certainty" that Tebow would be in Jax next year.

He said that the Jets are ready to grant Tebow's request for an unconditional release and that the Jags are interested in him and prepared to give him a chance to win the starting job in training camp. Given that he is a very very poor QB he isn't going to have many (or any) other teams offering him that opportunity so if the report is right then he'll end up in Jax.
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Sadly tried to match the Bengals with an absolute mental, verging on suicidal, punt.

Absolute shocking weekend all around. Terrible. Thankfully it's Christmas in just over a day, I'm going to drown my sorrows and get smashed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ugly, ugly win for the Pats today. Lucky to beat a 2 win Jags team. Desperately need to get some of the injured players back for the playoffs.
  • Rawr!Rawr! Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Seahawks are smashing the 49ers at the moment. Seattle is as loud as ever. Not a bad game so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think San Fran is capable of the same sort of comeback that the Pats launched last week. Seattle look in devastating form going into the playoffs, pity for them they'll be a 5 seed so have basically zero chance of any home games.
  • Carlos FandangoCarlos Fandango Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know what the live game on C4 on Sunday night/ Monday morning will be please? Hopefully the crunch game between the Redskins and the Cowboys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know what the live game on C4 on Sunday night/ Monday morning will be please? Hopefully the crunch game between the Redskins and the Cowboys.

Can't see any specific listings, but going off the kick off times on nfl site it looks like it will be the Cowboys and the Redskins

http://www.nfl.com/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't see any specific listings, but going off the kick off times on nfl site it looks like it will be the Cowboys and the Redskins

http://www.nfl.com/

That's right it is Cowboys @ Skins, should be a cracker. Winner takes the division loser out of the playoffs.

Meanwhile if people haven't heard Sky are showing Bears @ Lions at 6pm and then Packers @ Vikings at 9pm. If the Vikings win the late game then they take the NFC 6th seed. If the Vikes don't win then the Bears will be the 6th seed if they win the early game (if both the Bears and the Vikings lose then the Giants can take the 6th seed with a victory). On the other side the Packers need a win in the late game to take the NFC 2nd seed and get the bye week, if they don't win then San Fran will surely take the bye as they have the simple task of beating the Cardinals at home.
  • Carlos FandangoCarlos Fandango Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Brilliant news, thanks.

I was visiting friends in Washington DC last month and went to their game against the Eagles. The Redskins were 3-6 then...now they are 9-6.

Having been a Giants fan since the 80s, I've naturally had to changes allegiances and RG3 really is a fantastic QB. HTTR!
  • KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with your logic for not wanting him 'football' wise
    The commentators said it was a way to try and fill the empty seats in the Jags stadium by signing a 'media star'
    During the discussion on this , they also mentioned that there is a strong rumour that Micheal Vick will be joining the Jets....
    Strangely enough, I think that might work

Wasn't Tebow a Gator? They are based in Jacksonville aren't they? I thought they were saying he'd be a good draw there as they struggle for fans and it'd be like the return of the messiah for that area...
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kierenj wrote: »
    Wasn't Tebow a Gator? They are based in Jacksonville aren't they? I thought they were saying he'd be a good draw there as they struggle for fans and it'd be like the return of the messiah for that area...

He'll sell loads of jerseys if he goes there - before the fans realise he's crap.
    Bosox wrote: »
    That's right it is Cowboys @ Skins, should be a cracker. Winner takes the division loser out of the playoffs.

Considering the injuries they have had on D (starters, back ups and even players oicked up from their couch) - now with DeMarcus Ware, if he plays, slowed with pretty bad shoulder, ankle and knee problems - it's amazing the Cowboys have got to this week still with a chance of the Play Offs.

They have played with great heart the last few weeks (and Romo has played as well as anyone).
  • hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    He'll sell loads of jerseys if he goes there - before the fans realise he's crap.

Considering the injuries they have had on D (starters, back ups and even players oicked up from their couch) - now with DeMarcus Ware, if he plays, slowed with pretty bad shoulder, ankle and knee problems - it's amazing the Cowboys have got to this week still with a chance of the Play Offs.

They have played with great heart the last few weeks (and Romo has played as well as anyone).

As a Cowboy fan, the thing I like about them this year is they don't know the meaning of the word quit. No matter the situation they keep fighting so this will be another close game. You certainly can't say that been a Cowboy fan is boring, you get a real roller coaster ride.