Flea and worming tablets

Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
Forum Member
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to know do i have to buy my dogs flea and worming tablets from the vets or can i get them from the pet shop?
What does everyone else do?

If its cheaper id like to go with that if its the same/or equal product.

Also, this might sound silly but if i dont buy the tablets from the vets - does it affect my insurance? :o

Thanks

Comments

• CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I order online from Amazon. I find the vet prices are a little over the odds and very limited to what you can get. But make sure you buy a trusted brand though.

No clue about the insurance but I doubt it would make a difference. As long as you keep recepts to prove you are worming your pets that should suffice I reckon.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on what brand you use, some are prescription only therefore you' either need to buy them from your vet or pay for a prescription.

Some pets shops sell good brands, Frontline, Panacur etc. iirc.. but also stock a load some that are worthless (Bob Martin, own brands and similar).

I dont think it will affect your insurance policy tbh, thought it never hurts to check your small print :)
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob martin double action does actually work, but then it would, what with being a copy of advantage (i know i harp on a lot about this one, but we've used it for years on dogs and cats and it's just as good as advantage, or has been for us anyway) It's one of their higher end products.

best to check your policy as Muze says with regards to insurance.

we've always bought separate flea products off the shelf, but got our wormers from the vets (so they worked!)
    however a lot of good brands now are available without prescription. we've recently started ordering Drontal online over using milbemax from the vet, drontal is less than half the cost of the Milbemax. (saving us about £6 every quarter.)

advantage and frontline are available without prescription, though frontline combi i think you still need to go to a vet for (or do pets at home sell that now? I've never used the stuff to be honest. too many tales of its ineffectiveness.)

Advocate (which is the vets favourite at the moment it seems) is also very good as it contains the same ingredient which makes up Advantage to cover your dog/cat for fleas, but also includes a second drug which will treat your dog/cat for round worms. (and lung worm)
    It's prescription only, so has to be bought from the vet. or online after getting a prescription from your vet.
    you'd also need a separate tapeworming treatment to use along side it, such as droncit as it doesn't treat for them itself.

Now our dog isn't really at risk for lungworm, so we didn't lose any sleep moving away form Milbemax for him. (which also controls lungworm, but doesn't prevent it like advocate)
    We get advantage/bob martin double action to flea him with, and a drontal XL tablet to worm him.
    with the stray cat we do the same thing, but just use one drontal for cats tablet.

if you're interested in looking up prices, names etc. I've had good experience ordering from
    VetUK.co.uk
    VioVet.co.uk
    AnimedDirect.co.uk
    and Medicanimal.com

it's worth checking each site to see what the best prices are on the products you want to use however :)
  • Pedalo GirlPedalo Girl Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Please, please, don't buy the type of stuff you can get in supermarkets, etc. There are some horrific stories of pets who have had severe reactions (even resulting in death). Please only use products recommended by your vet (you don;t need to buy from them, sometimes they are cheaper online).

There is a Facebook group trying promote awareness of a particular manufacturers' products but I don't know if we are permitted to post links to other sites here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The Bob Martin tablets made my dog sick. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them, they just didn't agree with him.

I buy Drontal from Animal Direct now.