Comic Relief Rowan Atkinson Sketch Inappropriate?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
Forum Member
So my kids all sat down after dinner, having spent a busy school day doing Comic Relief stuff and ready to watch One Direction (I know but they are all under ten so don't be critical!). Then on comes Rowan Atkinson as the Archbishop of Canterbury - should be funny, we thought. After references to kissing (no tongues), "shagging" and the "f-word" we had to switch over. We were not prudes (honest), but does anyone else think that the sketch was inappropriate for pre-watershed, and certainly in a slot just before the big kids event of the whole Comic Relief night when the producers must have known many thousands of very young children would be watching?

Comments

• MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More inappropriate that the guy recently trashed in £1m super car, imagine how many people he could have helped with the money spent on repairs :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Muze wrote: »
    More inappropriate that the guy recently trashed in £1m super car, imagine how many people he could have helped with the money spent on repairs :mad:

Well, I've got my own ideas on the "if everyone appearing on Comic relief gave 10% of their incomes more money would be raised with a lot less fuss" line, but that's not the subject here :rolleyes:
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He has earned that money. Why should he not spend it how he wants. Arguments like this really get on my tit. I suspect he actually gives a fair bit to charity.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And how much money have you spent on frivolous things in your life? That could have gone to better use.

It's all relative, and we aren't in a position to comment on what he does or doesn't do for charity because we don't know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    I can understand why someone with young children would find it inappropriate for that sketch to air at that time, but I suppose from the BBC's point of view, they air EastEnders around that time and it often features content unsuitable for young children. I expect they thought the adult jokes in that sketch would probably go over most children's heads anyway.

I do think they should have aired it a little bit later on, though - not necessarily post-watershed - but the first hour and a half of the telethon should be family friendly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    I think it's shocked us more because so many schools and children put real time and effort into fund raising, yet the event itself seems to ignore that fact - surely more risque comedy could be left until after the One Direction performance which I would guess a lot of under 12's were waiting up for.
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So my kids all sat down after dinner, having spent a busy school day doing Comic Relief stuff and ready to watch One Direction (I know but they are all under ten so don't be critical!). Then on comes Rowan Atkinson as the Archbishop of Canterbury - should be funny, we thought. After references to kissing (no tongues), "shagging" and the "f-word" we had to switch over. We were not prudes (honest), but does anyone else think that the sketch was inappropriate for pre-watershed, and certainly in a slot just before the big kids event of the whole Comic Relief night when the producers must have known many thousands of very young children would be watching?

Yes I thought it shouldnt have been on then when the kids were more likely to be watching. I also thought it was totally toe-curlingly unfunny.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume the sketch was written before we really got to know Justin Welby - the other Bishop of Durham we had known was David Jenkins - who was very much one who was a sceptic.

And was therefore lampoonable when it came to central faith matters.
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    I assume the sketch was written before we really got to know Justin Welby - the other Bishop of Durham we had known was David Jenkins - who was very much one who was a sceptic.

And was therefore lampoonable when it came to central faith matters.

To be honest, I just thought it was a parody of the played out Atkinson character from Secret Policemans Ball days
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    i thought 1 direction murdering a good song was inappropriate, rowan atkinson sketch has been one of the highlights in an otherwise comedy free show
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't realised anyone watched this live; I assumed they all did the same as me: record it, and start watching two hours in, so you can skip past the bits you don't want to see.

You still end up catching up, though.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the kids say worse at school
  • Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    i thought 1 direction murdering a good song was inappropriate, rowan atkinson sketch has been one of the highlights in an otherwise comedy free show

Yes, great lesson - well, kids, all you have to do is copy an old song badly. You see, lots of cash for doing very little really.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One Direction are more inappropriate.
  • NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the age of 10 years old I was watching Little Britain and playing on Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. I turned out fine. Didn't understand a lot of the words, but got the idea of the LB. I think more bad words are used in the school playground, in terms of willies and the whispering of bitch and shit to be fair. Don't Molly coddle kids. As long as they understand the use of swear words and are aware of certain things, there's no issue. Just tell them not to use them. Simple.
  • NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    One Direction are more inappropriate.

Exactly!!! OP have you heard the lyrics?
    #Let’s go crazy, crazy, crazy ’til we see the sun
    I know we only met but let’s pretend it’s love
    And never, never, never stop for anyone
    Tonight let’s get some and live while we’re young
    Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh oh#
    On about promiscuity. A right old romp. Just filth... Especially for the age demographic of their fanbase. You seem to be quite fine with that but not a bit of humour?! It's like the hymns, you don't listen to lyrics in them really until you get older.. But it's still hypocritical.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite liked the Rowan Atkinson sketch, one of the funnier moments of the night (though that's not saying a lot). The Call the Midwife skit was the only one that really made me laugh, though.
  • RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BIB i didn't hear the F word in the sketch? do you mean when he mentioned about people knowing another word for it? he didnt actually say it.

i admit i was surprised at the mention of shagging and felt it a bit innapropriate and wont be surprised if it gets complaints and yes i would have put it on after 8pm tbh rather than in the first half an hour. maybe Dermot and Claudia could have apologised after the sketch to anyone who may have been offended.

also in peter kays sketch which was on at about 8.30ish he said the S word but i think it went unnoticed tbh.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was mildy amusing that one of the only sketches with any bite to it (and genuinely funny too) was on so early. Just shows the BBC don't have a clue how to get the comedy parts right.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you're definitely not "prudes" but have issues with the word "shagging"? Hmmm....
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it boils down to he said "shagging". fgs...isnt this thread more about the parents embarrasment than any perceived harm to a kid.
  • rachierachie Posts: 2,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the OP Ned Flanders in disguise? Kids are exposed to worse words than "shagging" in the school playground!
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,102
    Forum Member
    NewExample wrote: »
    Exactly!!! OP have you heard the lyrics?
    #Let’s go crazy, crazy, crazy ’til we see the sun
    I know we only met but let’s pretend it’s love
    And never, never, never stop for anyone
    Tonight let’s get some and live while we’re young
    Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh oh#
    On about promiscuity. A right old romp. Just filth... Especially for the age demographic of their fanbase. You seem to be quite fine with that but not a bit of humour?! It's like the hymns, you don't listen to lyrics in them really until you get older.. But it's still hypocritical.

When I was a child we were singing 2 Become 1 in the school choir, it's only when I joined DS that I found out what it really meant xD
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Is that all? A person hears worse at the bus stop and there is no mute button there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should have been on a little later but it was the first thing that made me smile.

Maybe the organisers thought we deserved a laugh an hour into a comedy show?

It's a good job we don't donate based on how funny the programme is.