Options

How much should I spend on food per week?

Comments

• Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    We spend between £60-70 per week maybe more depending on the week (first week is nearly always around £100 as we need to get cleaning stuff etc). That is for two people and a cat shopping in Waitrose or Sainsbury's.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member
    2 people here and overall during the week I'd say we spend about £100 on groceries.

However, that can vary and sometimes we spend more, sometimes less.

As long as you can afford it then spend whatever you feel you should spend.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    What do you buy that costs that much? I don't mind how much I spend on shopping but don't think I could spend anywhere near that amount unless there was lots of alcohol involved.

I spend around 100 at Morrison's, 50 at the Chinese supermarket, a meal out 60-70, maybe a takeaway every fortnight 30-35, alcohol 20, then toiletries, sometime bodybuilding supplements on top. My diet is mainly meat and fish, which is expensive to buy. This is for two people, but since I am well over double the weight of my wife, the lions share is mine.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you haven't already done so, I'd highly advise giving Aldi and/or Lidl a try if there's one conveniently close to you (so it doesn't cost you more in petrol than you'd save in the store). You could always start with a few items and see what you think of them. I've never had anything bad from either of them (and that includes fruit and veg) and their prices are generally (but not universally) excellent.
  • Options
    AligatorCatAligatorCat Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    I would say that I spend about £20 per week on food for myself and that again for cat food... as previous posters have said, its more if you have cleaning products etc to get (which always seem to run out at the same time!!).

I think being out of work last year certainly curbed my spending and even though I am working again now, I am still being thrifty... bargain hunting can be fun!
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spend around 100 at Morrison's, 50 at the Chinese supermarket, a meal out 60-70, maybe a takeaway every fortnight 30-35, alcohol 20, then toiletries, sometime bodybuilding supplements on top. My diet is mainly meat and fish, which is expensive to buy. This is for two people, but since I am well over double the weight of my wife, the lions share is mine.

Thanks - that is not all on home food then. I have been adding up what we spend and could not get it anywhere near that and I cook 3 meals every day and buy wine.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks - that is not all on home food then. I have been adding up what we spend and could not get it anywhere near that and I cook 3 meals every day and buy wine.

How much wine do you buy? I stopped buying it because I thought I was drinking too much. A bottle a day comes to nearly £50 a week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it's the total of what I spend on foodstuff, that is what the op asked. Plus I average 5/6 meals a day, not the usual 3. I enjoy cooking for others too, the other weekend for example I spent around 150 putting on a bbq and buffet for friends and family. Food is by far my biggest expenditure.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £50 per week on food and cleaning and personal items and clothes. For 2 people and 2 dogs.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    £40 a week on food and household goods but then I do grow all my own fruit and vegetables.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shhhhh wrote: »
    Haha I spend more than that on loo roll.:D
    michael37 wrote: »
    You eat loo roll? :eek:

Of course, if they get through that much loo roll it could just mean they're full of sh1t. :D
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AaronWx wrote: »
    I'm a student at the moment and live off £5 a week for food, sometimes stretching to £10.

Is that actually possible? I spent more than £10 a week on food when I was a student and that was 20 years ago.
  • Options
    spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member
    I need to actually keep my receipts one week and work out how much we are spending, because we start the week with good intentions - spend about 40 quid on a weeks shopping - but we live opposite tesco so annoyingly we go in pretty much every day and blow a few quid on pointless shit we don't need, I hate it.

Probably about £60-70? :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have a budget of £70 per week for two adults and a toddler. This includes household items I buy every week such as loo roll and kitchen towel. And there'll usually be a cleaning product or something else we've run out of. Sometimes it can go to £75-80 if it's a week where we need washing powder, nighttime nappies, shampoo etc. I never, ever let the weekly shop go over £80 and I will cut stuff out or switch to a Basics range where possible to save money. My OH gives me the £70 a week for the shopping and I do it online. I rarely pop to the local Tesco unless I desperately need something as I end up buying loads of unnecessary junk we don't need. My OH goes there all the time though and will spend at least £10 while there.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spimf wrote: »
    I need to actually keep my receipts one week and work out how much we are spending, because we start the week with good intentions - spend about 40 quid on a weeks shopping - but we live opposite tesco so annoyingly we go in pretty much every day and blow a few quid on pointless shit we don't need, I hate it.

Probably about £60-70? :o

I think this is why I like Aldi, you cant buy all the pointless shit :D

When I shopped at tesco I would nip in for a pack of mince and come out with a CD, book, smoothie maker and a pair of pyjamas :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    How much wine do you buy? I stopped buying it because I thought I was drinking too much. A bottle a day comes to nearly £50 a week.

What I really should have said was wine kits as well as wine.
    Solomon Grundy 7 day wine kits - but what a shock I had when I saw how much sugar you had to put in them (my smilies won't work - was going to put eek.) so going to cut that out when this lot is finished.

JJ75 - went into M and S for a packet of rocket and came out with 2 pairs of jeans and a sweater.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I really should have said was wine kits as well as wine.
    Solomon Grundy 7 day wine kits - but what a shock I had when I saw how much sugar you had to put in them (my smilies won't work - was going to put eek.) so going to cut that out when this lot is finished.

JJ75 - went into M and S for a packet of rocket and came out with 2 pairs of jeans and a sweater.

Glad its not just me who gets distracted :cool:
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »

When I shopped at tesco I would nip in for a pack of mince and come out with a CD, book, smoothie maker and a pair of pyjamas :confused:

Have Aldi and Lidl stopped doing all that random non-food junk? People were buying it because they assumed it must all be at bargain prices.

I'm immune to it myself, but one time I accompanied a friend, they spent about £90, very little of it on food.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything included, around 250 a week on average for two of us.

Wtf do you eat?

We spend £100 a week for two adults and three kids...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott_P wrote: »
    Wtf do you eat?

We spend £100 a week for two adults and three kids...

The majority is meat and fish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Have Aldi and Lidl stopped doing all that random non-food junk? People were buying it because they assumed it must all be at bargain prices.

I'm immune to it myself, but one time I accompanied a friend, they spent about £90, very little of it on food.

Yep, they still have the special buys, sometimes its quite good stuff but how the hell someone can spend £90 :eek:

I will be buying a couple of heathers on tomorrows special buy to brighten up the garden over winter, £1.69 per plant -bargainous :D
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »

That's nothing - I went into my local garden centre for a bag of horticultural sand and came out with a Garden shed!:eek:
  • Options
    ProVistaProVista Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being sidetraked into unexpected purchases is easily done. I went out for some veg to accompany the sunday roast and came back with 2 gerbils and a large cage and all their bedding, toys food etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProVista wrote: »
    Being sidetraked into unexpected purchases is easily done. I went out for some veg to accompany the sunday roast and came back with 2 gerbils and a large cage and all their bedding, toys food etc.

:D:D:D:D:D

Now that is a good one - don't think anyone will beat that.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    £23.69.