Options

Football - WHY do people care about it so much?

Comments

• Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boxing is the most savage of sports, however apart from the hype (and ********s like the hugely overrated 'gangsta' Tyson) many fighters are down to earth and very respectful towards their opponents and others.

Just look at the Klitschko brothers. :)

Sadly the sport has always been run by human scum like Don King. >:(

At least footballers never have to face such treatment, they should be bloody thankful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To answer your question OP - "why do people care about football so much?" I think it all about the support thing. It obviously differs from person to person but people usually start supporting a football team at a very young age because of their family and then it becomes sort of sensical to carry on supporting that team as you grow up rather than switch teams. For some people having a club to support brings them closer to other people by going to games, talking about it with mates, playing FIFA, watching the match at the pub, etc.

There's obviously violent football fans who either do not care about the football result at all or care a little bit too much, so much so that they put violence before logic. Thankfully it is proven that those violent fans are the minority. If you question the really violent fans I completely agree with you. I think it's sad, stupid and morally insane to make fun of a historic disaster where people died, like the Munich air disaster or Hillsborough. When "fans" make gestures or chant about those disasters that's when I think they need to take a step back and reevaluate their life because it's sick.

I will always support Manchester United to the bitter end but I will never get involved in this sick, violent rivalry with Liverpool because I am grown up enough to know that it's not about that, it's about the football and the result of the game that matter, not a stupid rivalry from the past! This is what fans get confused about these days.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the great things about rugby is that rival fans can sit together and have a laugh and a joke and it's all good fun.

You'd never see that in football.

Happens in my local boozer every weekend... banter, craic and insults flying between the groups of rival supporters.... Unfortunately the same doesnt apply for Celtic and Rangers fans..... where you can encounter real sectarian hate. At least rugby has nothing like that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes that makes sense to me i guess though i am "non" tribal so cannot really understand peoples "Blood" connection to team colours.

I watch the game but i do not feel the need to be tribal or have it as a family but each to their own.:)

I am glad I made sense. My only reason for the connection is age, I was 9 when I "fell in love" with WHU. It was my choice and I bought football stickers and so on to show my allegiance. I can't really explain it more than that. The highs and lows do remind you that you are alive at least!
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea, give me the proper game of rugby any day! ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    No idea, give me the proper game of rugby any day! ;-)

You can 'tackle' me anytime you like Anne! ;-) :D
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can 'tackle' me anytime you like Anne! ;-) :D

OOO Matron!:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    OOO Matron!:blush:

:D:D:D
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    One of the great things about rugby is that rival fans can sit together and have a laugh and a joke and it's all good fun.

That's nice.
    You'd never see that in football.

That's utterly clueless.

I've followed Crystal Palace for 25 years, I travel away, and we often find ourselves sitting with opposition supporters (in the pub) having a good time. I'm not saying that always happens but you're talking rubbish to say it never happens in football, how could you possibly know?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    I can never eat before a match because I am so nervous. Football means a lot to me. It's hard to explain. Not only do you got to a football match but you're social too. I have met many friends at the football. Though at the moment with QPR a lot of the fans don't care anymore I however care and is my biggest interest.
  • Options
    The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My OH loves football and often get quite deflated after a bad result.
    I agree that it's often a tribal thing. If the conversation gets around to football when he meets someone new they ask each other the question "Who are you?". This always makes me snigger. :D:blush:

I don't like watching sport of any kind except that endurance thing where they swim, ride a bike and run (unless I'm getting that muddled up with the tampax advert)
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    There are a number of reasons - the fan side of it is (I think) a tribal thing, uniting people through a common interest. And historically (until the 60s) there was (through the maximum wage) a link between fans and players - the players were not earning stratospheric amounts and living lives so far removed from the rest of us. Other sports were often played by amateurs, therefore didn't offer a living, and so there wasn't that link. (I know RL was professional, but that never got established outside its' Northern core)

While the wages have gone up and up due to the global TV revolution, those loyalties are still there. I follow the team my dad did, for no other reason. It wasn't the best choice I could have made (far from it), but it is important. Where I work, most people follow the local teams - and that sense of community (and friendly rivalry) is great.

The other is the game itself.

Firstly, it is the sport that has the highest chance of an 'upset' (there was some proper analysis of this done a few years back, and it's not even close). That means there is genuine hope of a result in every game

Secondly, it's a fundemantally simple sport. Put the ball in the goal, using feet and heads. Apart from offside, the rules are very easy to understand. And to play, all you need is space and a ball.

Thirdly, no other team sport balances the individual and team ethics quite so well.

Fourthly, it goes from defence to attack so quickly, things can change in seconds.

Fifthly, the scoring is low enough that every goal is vital (or potentially vital) without it being so hard that goals are rare.

Of course, the other thing is that football fans like other things as well, and represent a normal cross-section of intelligence and opinion.

Because it is so popular, it's also a 'safe' topic of conversation - you don't really want to be discussing politics or religion round the water cooler (well, I don't anyway) so you'll talk about it. Of course, once someone has said they don't like football, you wouldn't bring it up again. After all, it would be a dull old world if we liked the same things.

It is possible to like football and GoT, after all (and other sports, TV, films, music, books and things)
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH loves football and often get quite deflated after a bad result.
    I agree that it's often a tribal thing. If the conversation gets around to football when he meets someone new they ask each other the question "Who are you?". This always makes me snigger. :D:blush:

I don't like watching sport of any kind except that endurance thing where they swim, ride a bike and run (unless I'm getting that muddled up with the tampax advert)

:D:D:D:D Triathlon, those lads the Brownlee brothers were our stars in 2012 Olympics. They'd be great in a Tampax ad.

Anyway, I've been a Chelsea fan for more than 50 years. Both my husbands were also Blues fans, although I didn't meet them at matches.

These days I am fascinated by the Chelsea page on facebook with its 25 million likes. (Man Utd has 43 million). It's amazing how many people from the Middle East, Far East and Africa follow the club and chat on f/bk with other fans around the world.

I've been involved in projects that deliver free Prem football shirts to poorer parts of the planet and know how much these are treasured by people who will probably never see a Prem game live. Some walk miles to the nearest decent telly in the hope of seeing someone like Lampard play. The football family is a big one.
  • Options
    19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents were both season ticket holders and started to take me along at the age of 5-6 and 40 years later, despite all the money involved, I still love the game.

There is a bit of tribalism in there but I've never known a sport which in a split second can produce a state of euphoria in grown men. I have my allotment, read, go to the cinema, theatre, meals out, watch other sports etc but nothing comes close to that instant rush I get when someone screams one in from 30 yards.

Without being patronising I sometimes pity those who don't like football, but they will never understand.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    19Nick68 wrote: »
    My parents were both season ticket holders and started to take me along at the age of 5-6 and 40 years later, despite all the money involved, I still love the game.

There is a bit of tribalism in there but I've never known a sport which in a split second can produce a state of euphoria in grown men. I have my allotment, read, go to the cinema, theatre, meals out, watch other sports etc but nothing comes close to that instant rush I get when someone screams one in from 30 yards.

Without being patronising I sometimes pity those who don't like football, but they will never understand.

I pity those who do. I find the whole tribal, infantile adoration of seeing a bunch of cheating, over-paid blokes kicking a ball around utterly pathetic.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    19Nick68 wrote: »

Being a palace supporter I have to say that extreme emotion plays a big part in most of our games. Your description is probably the one I can relate to the most for the reasons why I am a massive football fan, I think it's makes me more empathetic as well, watching MOTD last night - my heart sank watching Cardiff beaten in the dying seconds of the game, having been on the receiving end of that many times as a supporter.

I don't pity people who don't like football, but I do pity the people who want to lump all football supporters as being thuggish dumb caveman when that's really not the case. I pity them for their extreme lack of knowledge, they obviously can't be that smart to be so small minded.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »

That's utterly clueless.

I've followed Crystal Palace for 25 years, I travel away, and we often find ourselves sitting with opposition supporters (in the pub) having a good time. I'm not saying that always happens but you're talking rubbish to say it never happens in football, how could you possibly know?

When was the last time you saw rival football fans actually sitting together in the ground, during a game?;-)
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When was the last time you saw rival football fans actually sitting together in the ground, during a game?;-)

Not sure if serious, so I'll risk looking silly

They don't tend to sell tickets for the same section to rival fans... It's not a coincidence when all the away fans are in one corner they didn't all turn up together and want to sit next to each other :)
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Not sure if serious, so I'll risk looking silly

They don't tend to sell tickets for the same section to rival fans... It's not a coincidence when all the away fans are in one corner they didn't all turn up together and want to sit next to each other :)

I ❤️ U
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP seems to care about football a lot himself, he always seems to be starting or in the anti-football threads..
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Football is tribal in the sense that it can represent a community. It can be part of a heritage when people grow up. I suppose it is a sport that can be intwined into culture.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pity those who do. I find the whole tribal, infantile adoration of seeing a bunch of cheating, over-paid blokes kicking a ball around utterly pathetic.
    That's nice, dear.
  • Options
    scotty22scotty22 Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Southend 1-0 Man U
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    The funniest thing about football fans (or some of them), is that they like to pretend they're macho because they like football, and that people who don't like football are nerdy, or gay (for some strange reason?), yet the football fans I have met have been some of the nerdiest people on the planet!

Not only do they obsess far more than any traditional nerd I've ever met, but the over-analysis of a relatively simple sport is quite often hilarious. They'll talk at length about 'form', who is 'strong' or 'fit' and how the manager makes a mahoosive difference and he's a prick because he didn't put the player on that they liked. And none football fans are gay?! :o:D They talk more about how much they love those eleven men than any gay guy I've ever met :D

I played a Fifa game once, and it was just an rpg, masquerading as a football game, where players 'levelled up' if you kept playing them, and talk about stat heavy! Each player had a seemingly endless number of stats and I had to sit through 20 minutes of business negotiations and checking emails at the start of every season, when all I wanted to do was play a damn game of simulated football with a group of drunk mates :p
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    The OP seems to care about football a lot himself, he always seems to be starting or in the anti-football threads..

That doesn't undermine my argument against over the top "football fanatacism" does it, that you are asserting that if I'm not interested, then that should extend to never even commenting about what it is in mainstream culture that I am exposed to.

If I was sociologically minded (which I sort of am) then I think the influence of football in our culture would make a very interesting book, one I wouldn't mind writing.

I've just this minute got off the phone about the subject on Radio City's Pete Price phone-in, but I didn't go into a huge amount of depth because I also wanted to talk about BBC THREE and the BBC.,