Options

Help re MS Word

Loobs72Loobs72 Posts: 631
Forum Member
✭✭
Can anyone help me.

I've installed ms word viewer as I don't have office. I'm trying to open a word doc sent to me in an email but it keeps just taking me to the buy MS Office page. How can I sort this?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possible the viewer is an older version than the doc you are trying to open.

You could download and install LibreOffice (https://www.libreoffice.org/) which will open most Word documents and allow you to edit them as well if you need to. Best bit it is way cheaper than Microsoft Office (ie free :) )
  • Options
    Loobs72Loobs72 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will that bypass the buy ms office page? I don't know how to get the word doc to automatically open using another program
  • Options
    scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loobs72 wrote: »
    Can anyone help me.

I've installed ms word viewer as I don't have office. I'm trying to open a word doc sent to me in an email but it keeps just taking me to the buy MS Office page. How can I sort this?

Thanks

Having no MS Office is no problem, less and less people in business are using it, as there are many free alternatives. Why not download KingSoft Office Free which we use in work when not using Google Docs. It's never let us down yet.

When you've done what you need to do, why not read this article which should lead you on the right path to no being without an Office Suite on your PC.

:) Mark
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loobs72 wrote: »
    Will that bypass the buy ms office page? I don't know how to get the word doc to automatically open using another program
    When you install LibreOffice it associates itself with DOC file types so if you double click on a DOC file it opens in LibreOffice automatically.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or to re-associate files, right-click the document and 'Open with>Choose default program>Always use....(tick checkbox if you want it)
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    If you are running Windows Vista or 7 then you could also go for Office 2010 Starter which is free for personal use. Personally I prefer it to Libre but each to their own.