Options

International Cricket 2014

Comments

• Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    Very good article by Agnew on the lack of coaches available.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/26809043
    For most of these top-level cricket coaches, however, the choice is a no-brainer. Why would they want to slog around the world for 12 months under the spotlight with England when they can just knock off an Indian Premier League season and earn about the same amount of money?
    This is the stark reality in modern cricket and you can see why the England job isn't attracting the calibre of coach that perhaps it once did.
    The most pressing issue is the appointment of a new head coach, but having asked a few questions, my understanding is that there aren't actually many high-profile candidates in contention.
    Gary Kirsten, who enjoyed such success with India and South Africa, has not applied for the role and neither have Paul Farbrace, Ottis Gibson or Stephen Fleming.

Countries like England and India will struggle to get long term and world class
    coaches.
    BCCI have been waiting for 2 years to sack Fletcher, but they can't find a suitable replacement.
    If ECB somehow gets a world class coach, it would most likely be a short term job, which would be a bad option considering england need to rebuild, if I was picking the coach, it would be someone that knows most of the county players or works with the lions players.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    I would look at Tom Moody for the England job.
    JOSWolf wrote: »
    Tom Moody or approach Fleming. Bowling options Onions, Overton, Mills, Topley, Finn, all far better than Dernbach, who has had plenty of chances and failed. I would even prefer Napier to Dernbach. At least he is explosive with the bat and is a useful bowler in 20/20 cricket.

They've said it will be an Englishman
  • Options
    Forum Member

I read somewhere that their were no leading candidates from abroad, so it has to be a British person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tom Moody has not applied for the job, he is currently happy coaching Sunriser Hyderbad and other T20 Franchises.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Sky said 4 people had applied. Moores, Giles, Robinson and AN Other
  • Options
    JOSWolfJOSWolf Posts: 2,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

More fool them then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JOSWolf wrote: »
    More fool them then.

Well if 4 people apply and all 4 are English what do you expect ?
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Broady keeps using that Flower term 'new era'.
    Its like Flower, who is still there believe was still there keeping watch.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All that Sky money.... all those hours of FTA TV taken away from us....and where has it taken us? To the bitter end...a handful of people on a satellite pay-channel watching minnows England thrashed by mighty Holland in a beer match.

Giles Clarke....Giles Silk-Tie Clarke, hold your head in shame. And clear off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if 4 people apply and all 4 are English what do you expect ?

I expect the powers that be to actively seek out and sound out other alternatives. That is what most outfits would do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Broady keeps using that Flower term 'new era'.
    Its like Flower, who is still there believe was still there keeping watch.

This new era looks like a shambles to me.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member

considering KP's relationship with Hampshire when a Hampshire player comes out in support of him then it is a bit of an indictment of the ECB's actions imo
  • Options
    GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    considering KP's relationship with Hampshire when a Hampshire player comes out in support of him then it is a bit of an indictment of the ECB's actions imo

Cripes, this article says it all.

Flower lost control to senior players, Giles cant stand up to the powers that be & is a YES man.

We need change & I'm afraid Messrs Clarke, Downton & co are too close to see it.

Step back, there is a big picture for the future of the game in the country.
  • Options
    DartGuruDartGuru Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Sky said 4 people had applied. Moores, Giles, Robinson and AN Other

That's settled then, AN Other it is :)

Seriously, IMO the choice for this particular role isn't so important. What IS important is that the right people are supporting him. Collingwood has the right attitude and big-game experience to galvanise the players and has a good work ethic. I'm not so sure about Thorpe. He doesn't come across as a get-up-and-go type (or maybe he just isn't so PR savvy).
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Giles saying "I dont know' is likely true.

It goes back to my thoughts that the complete setup is run corporate style, looking after the financial interests of the ECB. I'm not even sure they are even doing that very well in usually undermining the 20/20 squad.

I think it was Paul Nixon speaking on 5 Live saying something like that there should be more support of the county 20/20 game with all England players available. I have to agree. WIthout vibrancy at the roots, a lacklustre England could end up killing the game stone dead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ECB saw the Sky money & ran away with it - there is little regard for the county game, never mind grass roots. Giles Clarke & co need a root & branch review, not just the England coaching setup.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing I would like to go back to, and it is old fashioned, is the doing away of central contracts and players getting paid by their county and picked on merit, not because they are on the payroll, then they get paid when they represent their country. These international players don't play enough county games. When I started going to watch Yorkshire in the 80s I would see all the greats play. Gooch for Essex, Botham and Richards for Somerset, Gatting for Middlesex and of course Sir Geoffrey for Yorkshire. It was unheard of that they wouldn't play in a county game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bang on Darren - central contracts have created a "them&us" tiering of cricket in England. Players are not selected for the right reasons. I understand the principle of the contracts but in practice it has led to complacency & apparently a disjointed dressing room. Sure there is a lot of international cricket but there is little chance of anyone breaking through to the closed shop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Giles clearly a yes man and lacking in communication skills. A total farce.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    If central contracts go the best players would be picking up a fat checque from the IPL etc., noy slogging their way through a county summer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    If any applicant prefers to work for a few weeks in the IPL rather than a full time job as England coach then he is not worth employing. Job satisfaction should be worth far more than the wages
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough apaul but as it stands the young players werent being given a chance at international level - well they are now & its too late & expectations are too high. Too many contracted players have been in a buffer zone & their lack of performance has had no impact on selection................it must have been great knowing you have underperformed so badly yet still picked up a huge paycheque............
    There are so many things wrong at the ECB, difficult to know where to start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan Lamb:
    Lamb tells BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "He (Giles) has played 11 and lost 11. People mustn't say 'Gary Kirsten or so and so is not available.' Money should be able to sway them to come to this country, and take up our cricket. As at the moment we're in a complete shambles, from the management downwards."
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Giles would be the ECB's equivalent of appointing David Moyes:

- Seems a nice bloke, but doesn't inspire confidence with his utterings
    - Has been dealt a bit of a duff hand - having to deal with an ageing side, not to mention never having the best players to pick from.
    - Relatively successful with his previous employers, but no track record of coaching at this level.
    - Unlikely to attract controversy.
    - Friendly with the previous incumbent of the role
This discussion has been closed.