Options

The Americans (UK Pace)

Comments

• Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I felt really sorry for the scientist,:cry: Phillip hasn't got a heart. Oh & the toilet scene was gross.:o
    I was shouting at the TV - 'DON'T DO IT' - he did, :o

Elizabeth finding out Phil was 'wild', was interesting......part of the training.:cool:, which she didn't know.

Martha bugged, had we seen that before.:confused:

Oleg is trouble, big trouble for My Nina.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The show has been renewed for a 3rd season
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show has been renewed for a 3rd season

Hooray! Not quite sure where is going, but enjoying the journey, as it makes a welcome change to the numerous American (and British) cop shows.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Killary45 wrote: »
    I totally agree. I thought it was a real dirge, quite an effort to watch to the end. As I was watching it I realised that none of the regular characters - except perhaps the daughter and the CIA boss played by Richard Thomas - are likeable. Who am I supposed to want to "win"?

Well, that's the whole point of the premise, is it not? That we start to identify with The Enemy as human beings, and it all becomes rather less black and white.

Sounds like it's done it's job in that department, but it's a shame you've interpreted that darkness and lack of moral clarity as being not as good this season. I actually think it's getting better.
  • Options
    AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,877
    Forum Member
    DJW13 wrote: »
    Hooray! Not quite sure where is going, but enjoying the journey, as it makes a welcome change to the numerous American (and British) cop shows.

While I am pleased I will be able to see more episodes of The Americans going forward, I am looking forward to seeing what happens to Philip and Elizabeth if/when their cover gets blown. If the story continuation is done well, we won't get bored with the journey there but there's always the risk they will ruin it by stretching it on and on and in till the plots and characters become too thin and weak.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AKFE wrote: »
    While I am pleased I will be able to see more episodes of The Americans going forward, I am looking forward to seeing what happens to Philip and Elizabeth if/when their cover gets blown. If the story continuation is done well, we won't get bored with the journey there but there's always the risk they will ruin it by stretching it on and on and in till the plots and characters become too thin and weak.

I would think if their cover was actually, definitely, no-second-chances, seriously blown with any main American characters that would be because we were approaching the end of the show. But if some passing 'redshirt' FBI officer or someone like that happens to bust them then he'll quite simply not live to tell the tale and the show will continue.

I am sure, however, that they will use the threat of possibly getting discovered by one of the major American characters a go-to source of tension for each season finale.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the attractions of the show for me is the inclusion of actual real events in plotlines. So long as they can keep doing that, then it shouldn't ever get too boring, although I couldn't see the show lasting beyond the fall of the USSR in 1990.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    One of the attractions of the show for me is the inclusion of actual real events in plotlines. So long as they can keep doing that, then it shouldn't ever get too boring, although I couldn't see the show lasting beyond the fall of the USSR in 1990.

Absolutely and it has been done well up to now. They definitely could not keep the story going beyond 1990, as you say, but fortunately the series is currently only in about 1982 (I think?).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    I would think if their cover was actually, definitely, no-second-chances, seriously blown with any main American characters that would be because we were approaching the end of the show. But if some passing 'redshirt' FBI officer or someone like that happens to bust them then he'll quite simply not live to tell the tale and the show will continue.

I am sure, however, that they will use the threat of possibly getting discovered by one of the major American characters a go-to source of tension for each season finale.[/QUOTE]

This would work for sure .... again, if they don't just keep on using the same storyline device.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm delighted there is going to be a Series 3 :) but I wish production companies wouldn't announce it until their current series has finished as it removes some of the tension from the current series (i.e. we can be pretty sure sure that P&E will not be killed or discovered during this series). In fact you think they would keep news of a next series quiet in order to keep the viewing figures up for their current series.
    Well, that's the whole point of the premise, is it not? That we start to identify with The Enemy as human beings, and it all becomes rather less black and white.
    That's a good point. I think the series achieves that perfectly.
  • Options
    Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    Can anyone tell me please is there a repeat of this through the week?

I've had a quick look but can't see one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No - unfortunately it's not repeated.

But it's still on iplayer: https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/the-americans/series-2/episode-5
  • Options
    Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    solare wrote: »
    No - unfortunately it's not repeated.

But it's still on iplayer: https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/the-americans/series-2/episode-5
    Thank you,solare...and thank you for replying.:)
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,177
    Forum Member
    I'm delighted there is going to be a Series 3 :) but I wish production companies wouldn't announce it until their current series has finished as it removes some of the tension from the current series (i.e. we can be pretty sure sure that P&E will not be killed or discovered during this series). In fact you think they would keep news of a next series quiet in order to keep the viewing figures up for their current series.

That's a good point. I think the series achieves that perfectly.

Actually announcing a show has been renewed keeps the audience up at least it seems to do in the US. If a show is under threat on cancellation it can become self fulfilling as the audience drops away because they don't want it to end on a cliffhanger or they say why stay invested in the show its going to end anyway, let's find something new to watch.
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member

Sounds like it's done it's job in that department, but it's a shame you've interpreted that darkness and lack of moral clarity as being not as good this season. I actually think it's getting better.

That's exactly how I approached watching The Sopranos although I never really identified with Tony. He was a nasty piece of work but it was a good, well written show.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was that blue light thing that P & E were scanning themselves with after meeting Larrick?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What was that blue light thing that P & E were scanning themselves with after meeting Larrick?:confused:

Good question. Anyone know? I think Claudia explained when the handed the device to Philip but I didn't catch what she said.

Another question, how did Elizabeth get out of that locked room that contained the safe after Lucia let her sneak in and then Lucia and Carl left?

Also, why was Gaad suddenly so antagonistic towards Beeman this episode? Just because Beeman came to his home? I am sure last time they were seen together, they were very friendly and working together, even though Gaad had, I think, been suspended from his role pending the investigation into Vlad's death??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it was a UV light. When Claudia handed it to them she said: "Scan for dust, just to be safe...clothes and shoes." I don't know what sort of dust they were scanning for. Perhaps something that could be planted on them and used to identify them at a later time?
    Another question, how did Elizabeth get out of that locked room that contained the safe after Lucia let her sneak in and then Lucia and Carl left?
    I wondered that too as we definitely heard the door lock with Elizabeth inside.

Also, I was surprised that Philip arrived home in his Clark disguise. What if he had been spotted by his children or Stan?

The man who called Elizabeth asking if she wanted a delivery service. Was that just a coded call from "the centre" or what is something more suspicious?
  • Options
    highfidelityhighfidelity Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    They were searching for bugs - but they carried on talking while searching so if there had been any they'd have been caught!
    I had the same thought. Though she didn't enter the room via the door Carol unlocked, did she? I though she sidled across the doorway so was already in the room. I'll have to watch that part again.
    Also, why was Gaad suddenly so antagonistic towards Beeman this episode? Just because Beeman came to his home? I am sure last time they were seen together, they were very friendly and working together, even though Gaad had, I think, been suspended from his role pending the investigation into Vlad's death??
    I think Gaad suspects that, as he said, Beeman is in over his head and is himself being used.

The business of Clark's sexual activities with Martha was disturbing - this is what Martha enjoys, apparently. So much what she thinks is a loving relationship.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ?...

1. I had the same thought. Though she didn't enter the room via the door Carol unlocked, did she? I though she sidled across the doorway so was already in the room. I'll have to watch that part again.

2. The business of Clark's sexual activities with Martha was disturbing - this is what Martha enjoys, apparently. So much what she thinks is a loving relationship.

1. I think she did enter via the same double doors. I guess she could unpick a lock as she is experienced in such techniques, but she had to have help getting in so why not getting out again?

2. I think the point was that anything seems wild to Martha. Or was Philip showing there is no love in his relationship with Martha?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ?.. I was surprised that Philip arrived home in his Clark disguise. What if he had been spotted by his children or Stan?

I thought that was a hotel or motel room actually, not their home? It didn't look like their home to me, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    when the series eventually ends,I wonder will they be caught or killed or get away and escape back to Russia? I'd like to see them get caught by the FBI and right at the end it cuts to present day and they are still in jail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I actually think precisely the opposite! Announcing the next series gives you more confidence in following this series and not being left in the lurch at the end.

It's not a gadget where you don't announce the next version unless you're ready to actually sell that next version imminently. The Osborne rule does not apply to TV.

I understand your thinking about not knowing the fate of the protagonist, but really, who really thinks a show will *ever* kill off the protagonist, unless the show coming to an end has been confirmed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I actually think precisely the opposite! Announcing the next series gives you more confidence in following this series and not being left in the lurch at the end.

It's not a gadget where you don't announce the next version unless you're ready to actually sell that next version imminently. The Osborne rule does not apply to TV.

I understand your thinking about not knowing the fate of the protagonist, but really, who really thinks a show will *ever* kill off the protagonist, unless the show coming to an end has been confirmed?

I am with solare in preferring not to know whether there is to be another season of a series. Assuming the new season will be about Philip and Elizabeth, we know they won't be revealed as spies this season and I would rather be kept in suspense as to whether Beeman, Martha or anyone else will work out who and what they are, or even get very close. Now if someone does find out, we pretty much know they will have to die for the privilege!
  • Options
    CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the whole set up with American series very annoying.

I started to watch Homeland hoping for a well structured series coming to a final conclusion but halfway through discovered that it was expected to run for several series.

This meant that nothing would be satisfyingly resolved and spoiled the rest of series one for me. I was totally disinterested from then onwards since it was obvious that it would just be milked until people lost interest and then shelved.

Why can the US just not tell a good story and let it go or, like The Killing, finish a story completely and then start a new one.