Buying a new car

howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
Forum Member
Are people really swayed to buy a car because you can send a message to its gadget on the dash...ie ford fiesta

Comments

• SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    No, but it's one additional + in a list of + & - factors I'd expect.

I don't think the point is to send a txt to the car; more that it receives your txt messages and converts them to speech in the same way that a txt sent to a BT landline is converted and delivered as speech, in a rather nice voice (or Tom Baker from time to time)
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's too many bloody gadgets in cars now, it's only a matter of time before these start causing accidents and ultimately killing people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    There's too many bloody gadgets in cars now, it's only a matter of time before these start causing accidents and ultimately killing people.

Bring back texting behind the wheel.

We have two new cars on order. The bells and whistles are just a bonus. Looking forward to testing out the parking assist on the other half's car and adaptive cruise if I am being honest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bring back texting behind the wheel.

We have two new cars on order. The bells and whistles are just a bonus. Looking forward to testing out the parking assist on the other half's car and adaptive cruise if I am being honest.

These all distract you from the act of driving, and quite frankly if you need these 'bells and whistles' you have no place on the roads.
  • fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buying new cars is like chucking cash away.
    Forum Member
    These all distract you from the act of driving, and quite frankly if you need these 'bells and whistles' you have no place on the roads.

What distracts me? Parking or maintaining a constant speed?

I also said they are a bonus but don't let that stop you.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    A lot of these modern trendy ads wouldn't sway me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What distracts me? Parking or maintaining a constant speed?

I also said they are a bonus but don't let that stop you.

"Let off some steam Bennett"
    Forum Member
    "Let off some steam Bennett"

I'm going to shoot you between the balls.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    99% of the fun I get from sitting in my car comes from sitting behind an engine which can throw you along at whatever speed you desire. The other 1% comes from the radio.

There's no pleasure to be derived from pointless gadgets all craving your attention. Then again, maybe I'm saying this because I drive a Rover
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got gadgets on my car which I have absolutely no idea what they're for.

Its only a KA but there is a button that I darent press cos I know I'll get in a muddle about it all! lol
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a fan of gadgets, but I have a rear view camera in my CRV and its very useful when parking. I reckon I can reverse to within an inch of the car behind using the camera. I switch off the parking sensors as the noise does my head in.

Heated seats are great in winter. Cruise control is useful only on roads north of Edinburgh (only motorway (M8) in central Scotland is too busy and only 2 lane anyway).

Sat Nav is never used - I look at a map first and can keep it in my head! ((Just what I've had to do from mid 1960s when I started to drive)

Bluetooth is never used - I simply don't bother with my mobile in the car.

But the MP3 player is superb - lets me listen to what I want when Radio 2 can't be received.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are so many gadgets and buttons in my car it's like being in a spaceship. Almost feels like you need to run through a check list before starting. It's great, I love it.
  • Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, when I bought my Rolls-Royce customised Phantom, it came with all the gadgets you'd expect; but I haven't used them, possibly because I haven't drove it myself, preferring to be chauffeured most of the time. Roger says the dashboard is great and the steering is optimised. I just drive a Range Rover personally, but don't use the built in sat nav or phone plug in things. I just drive it. I had a Mini which was a brilliant run around for London, but it got loads of attention as it looked sporty, black wheel trims and yellow body, so traffic lights, my car and chavs = dangerous mix. So I sold that and bought the Range Rover, 2013 quite cheap. I wouldn't like to drive an expensive vehicle though myself.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    ,, Cruise control is useful only on roads north of Edinburgh (only motorway (M8) in central Scotland is too busy and only 2 lane anyway).

I disagree modern cruise control is easier to use than a pedal over even quite short stretches of road. Completely changed my driving habits. I use my finger tips more than my right foot now.
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    My car does that message thing, but I've never used it once.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    A lot of these modern trendy ads wouldn't sway me.

At one time electric windows, a radio and a heater were " trendy aids " .

Would you prefer a modern car with a 8 track player, wind-up windows, a pull out choke and a single-key door locking ?
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    I disagree modern cruise control is easier to use than a pedal over even quite short stretches of road. Completely changed my driving habits. I use my finger tips more than my right foot now.

My new car comes with a flappy paddle gearbox. Since the demise of Flappy Bird, this is the next best thing.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    u can go over the top with too many gadgets or soft gadgets (eg software based stuff).

dont get me wrong i want air con, electric windows, cruise control, aux in, but i dont need or want to have apps for various stuff dripping out an lcd or link up my mobile to the system. too much of an unnecassary distraction, i mean in uk it is ilegal to use your mobile while driving.

more important to me, i bet they dont even offer automatic transmission with a diesel engine or on the petrol eco boost engine.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    i mean in uk it is ilegal to use your mobile while driving.

It's only illegal if you're actually physically holding the phone and using it. Hands-free kits, and centre consoles that accept your Sim Card, are perfectly legal.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it all adds to a distraction. some people from what i c on the road cant cope with the most basic car controls or most basic road rules, eg realising there getting close to a roundabout and giving way to the right.
    give them a few gadgets and there an accident waiting to happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't even have Sat Nav in my car.

It's just me , a fairly powerful petrol engine and some Oasis CD's :D
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fleabee wrote: »
    Buying new cars is like chucking cash away.

So is buying a second hand one, my last car cost a fortune in MOT fails, maintenance, poor fuel economy and £245 a year for a tax disc, dumped it, bought a brand new car in January and don't regret it! no MOT to worry about for 3 years, no tax, no maintenance, and amazingly good fuel economy.
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed bring back the good old days with a guy walking in front of you with a flag.

Why does the world need to change?? :(

(Also ABS brakes can f**k right off as well)
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    At one time electric windows, a radio and a heater were " trendy aids " .

Would you prefer a modern car with a 8 track player, wind-up windows, a pull out choke and a single-key door locking ?

I remember most of those.When I got my Mk2 Cavalier it had a 5 speed gearbox.I was well impressed.:D