Options

Mortgage offer letter

juventino1juventino1 Posts: 154
Forum Member
My cousin received a mortgage offer and in one of the conditions they asked him to pay his outstanding loans within 30 days of completion and never to take any more loans out.

He is confused since he is in a good job and his wife is in a very good job, their credit score is high and their loans are minimal compared to their salaries and they are only asking for 78% LTV which i believe is quite good...

Any ideas why the bank has inserted this clause and any advice when contacting them about it? He is thinking of calling it a day with them and just back out of this arrangement.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like rather an odd condition, but if the loans are minimal can't they increase the mortgage by enough to pay them off?

ETA Assuming this is a remortgage, are the existing loans secured loans?
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    presumably they are concerned about him taking on other debt which would affect his ability to repay the home loan ...

but what loans would they be talking about?

what happens if he wants to buy a car in the future, say?
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    juventino1 wrote: »
    My cousin received a mortgage offer and in one of the conditions they asked him to pay his outstanding loans within 30 days of completion and never to take any more loans out.

He is confused since he is in a good job and his wife is in a very good job, their credit score is high and their loans are minimal compared to their salaries and they are only asking for 78% LTV which i believe is quite good...

Any ideas why the bank has inserted this clause and any advice when contacting them about it? He is thinking of calling it a day with them and just back out of this arrangement.

Thanks

But are the loans for high enough amounts that they would be in difficulties if either job was lost?
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to post the exact wording of the clause, and in context, for any advice to be relevant.

Or you could just speak to the bank directly about it.
  • Options
    Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Conditions to repay loans/credit cards/store cards are standard if i) they affect affordability and/or ii) it was declared they would be repaid on completion on the application form.

I have never heard of a condition stating that the applicants are to never take out a loan again ever (sounds very dramatic) How could they possibly hope to control that? :confused:

Which mortgage lender is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Sounds like rather an odd condition, but if the loans are minimal can't they increase the mortgage by enough to pay them off?

ETA Assuming this is a remortgage, are the existing loans secured loans?

No, he has 2 hire purchase agreements but nothing registered against his home..
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was to,d to do this for my first mortgage ten years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Roush wrote: »
    You need to post the exact wording of the clause, and in context, for any advice to be relevant.

Or you could just speak to the bank directly about it.

The exact wording are

" You must repay the following commitments in full within 30 days of completion of this Mortgage without taking on further Borrowing

Hire Purchase: XXXXX
    Hire Purchase: XXXXX"
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand existing loans effecting the application but I've never heard of a clause saying they can't take loans out in the future.

The only think I could find online was wording to the effect that the mortgage terms offered will no apply to future loan applications (i.e. re-mortgaging)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But are the loans for high enough amounts that they would be in difficulties if either job was lost?

They are not of a high enough amount and even if you dont have loans and you lose your job you will be in big trouble anyway...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Conditions to repay loans/credit cards/store cards are standard if i) they affect affordability and/or ii) it was declared they would be repaid on completion on the application form.

I have never heard of a condition stating that the applicants are to never take out a loan again ever (sounds very dramatic) How could they possibly hope to control that? :confused:

Which mortgage lender is it?

Woolwich... He spoke to the mortgage adviser and they said that this is for their affordability calculation and in 17 years in the business she never came across someone being checked after the completion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    I was to,d to do this for my first mortgage ten years ago.

Did they check up on you if you took furtehr loans later?
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did they check up on you if you took furtehr loans later?

No they didn't.
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member

But it doesn't say anything of the kind, does it?

As you later revealed, the mortgage condition reads :
    The exact wording are

" You must repay the following commitments in full within 30 days of completion of this Mortgage without taking on further Borrowing

This means what it says, i.e. that Woolwich expects these two hire purchase agreements to be repaid within 30 days of completion, without borrowing the funds to do so from another source.

My guess is that your cousin assured them that he was able to repay these HP agreements from his own resources, and Woolwich took this into account when assessing his mortgage application for "affordability".

How you have interpreted this to mean that he can "never take any more loans out" is a complete mystery to me. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still do not understand .... why would they insist you finalise an existing HP contract.

a) you may not actually be able to and
    b) there may be early redemption penalties

unless the Woolwich offer included extra borrowing to provide funds to do this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yosemite wrote: »

As you later revealed, the mortgage condition reads :

This means what it says, i.e. that Woolwich expects these two hire purchase agreements to be repaid within 30 days of completion, without borrowing the funds to do so from another source.

My guess is that your cousin assured them that he was able to repay these HP agreements from his own resources, and Woolwich took this into account when assessing his mortgage application for "affordability".

How you have interpreted this to mean that he can "never take any more loans out" is a complete mystery to me. :confused:

He understood it as he has to pay those 2 agreements and cant take any further borrowing in the future if he needs to.. tbh i understood it as the same and not specific to those 2 agreements only.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I still do not understand .... why would they insist you finalise an existing HP contract.

I honestly dont know why the insistance on those 2 agreements to be paid... He is able to pay them off since they have checked everything and offered him the mortgage in the first place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be that the amount being borrowed was partly to for debt consolidation? So he took £60k as a remortgage say and then a further £20k to pay off those existing loans?

I think the wording of the offer suggests the money should be used for this purpose only and that they shouldn't take out further borrowing for debt consolidation.

If this is the case, the funds should go to the solicitor to distribute anyway, so it's not like they would end up in your cousin's bank account for him to decide whether to pay off the debts or go on a spending spree!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Without knowing the full circumstances, it's impossible to say with certainty, but it may be that the Woolwich's "affordability calculation" would only permit approval of the mortgage application if these monthly HP commitments were no longer payable.

(a) An HP agreement can always be repaid early (although this may indeed trigger a penalty clause).

(b) This isn't the Woolwich's problem.

Perhaps it did ? We simply don't know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He understood it as he has to pay those 2 agreements and cant take any further borrowing in the future if he needs to.. tbh i understood it as the same and not specific to those 2 agreements only.

The wording of the mortgage offer (as provided by you) doesn't say this (the emboldened part), so I would suggest that he misunderstood - and so have you.
  • Options
    Joolz1975Joolz1975 Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had this Claus with Woolwich also and as someone has already stated it meant that we were to pay off existing debts (car and credit card) with the money borrowed.

If the Woolwich have lent them extra funds to consolidate existing debts then they are within their rights to specify that this is done.

I suppose people ask for extra money for things and spend it instead and then need to borrow more money later, they are covering themselves by stating debts must be cleared without borrowing extra from elsewhere to do so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    these provisos make sense - but surely the OP's cousin understood what they were telling him, when they offered him the money?
  • Options
    Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Yosemite wrote: »

his means what it says, i.e. that Woolwich expects these two hire purchase agreements to be repaid within 30 days of completion, without borrowing the funds to do so from another source.

Agreed.
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that never take a loan again bit has to be wrong. When i went for my mortgage a year ago they asked about any loans/ credit cards i owed. Told them i would be clearing them within week or so. They didn't ask for proof i had done so. Though i did clear them.
  • Options
    chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The exact wording are

I think the bits in bold means do not take on further borrowing *within the 30 days of completion of this mortgage*. That's how I read it anyway. So the OP is half right, yes you have to repay the loans and yes you can't take out further ones, but only in that 30 day period.