Options

June Whitfield v Betty White

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
Two actresses that have stood the test of time

but which is better?

I mostly know JW from Terry & June and Absolutely Fabulous.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_Whitfield

I know BW from The Golden Girls and Boston Legal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_White

Whitfield v White 131 votes

June Whitfield
51%
GPWBrian1709rfw1jonnyjackovDave3622ukcarter[Deleted User][Deleted User]Fayecorgasm~V~[Deleted User]stevejk75Staffsyeomanpegasus2LostFoolmossy2103Chris1964GrecomaniaSexbombspookyLX 68 votes
Betty White
48%
DevoidDroidJustinThePubJimmy Connorsjobbie8[Deleted User]pembo2004[Deleted User]rivercity_rulesSuzeSaturnNestFoxy RhinoStuallRockSchoolBobbity-booMinnimoglyn9799[Deleted User]Inky Binkyclairescavys 63 votes

Comments

• Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    June Whitfield
    No Competition June Whitfield of course.;)
  • Options
    wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    June Whitfield
    June but I wish she were a bit more of a gossip as she must have some tales to tell. She has worked with everyone in British TV and radio, including Rex the Runt, starting before most of us were born!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0925930/
  • Options
    ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over the last 50 years June must have worked with almost every British comic actor, but she's as dull as a dreich day in Drumnadrochit.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    June Whitfield
    June.

I like Betty White, but she's become such a lazy comedy cliche over the last few years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    June Whitfield
    Got to be June Whitfield!
  • Options
    pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Betty White
    i like both but betty white in hot in cleveland is so funny

so its betty white for me
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    Betty White
    Betty White. Her swearing at people in Lake Placid will never be topped.
  • Options
    DetectiveBeaDetectiveBea Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I refuse to vote. they are both classic icons.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    June Whitfield
    June Whitfield of course.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Betty White
    I like them both equally! :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Betty White
    Betty White as she's willing to send herself up and embrace modern tastes rather than just complaining how nothing is the same as it was in the 50's. June, despite her AbFab, role, is one of those tedious "nothing is as good as it was in my day" bores.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not even close. betty everytime. she is so funny in Hot in cleveland.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Betty White
    This reminds me of a time back in St Olaf...:D

Betty White for me
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Betty White
    Betty White as she's willing to send herself up and embrace modern tastes rather than just complaining how nothing is the same as it was in the 50's. June, despite her AbFab, role, is one of those tedious "nothing is as good as it was in my day" bores.

Agreed, she is so upto letting go and having fun. Also her contribution to comedy is legendary in my eyes. Golden Girls is one of my all time favourite shows of any genre.

Example that she is 'still hot'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5phqDvrWNZc

I love the cheesecake reference, and at the end, when she is moaning being around those sexy hunks, and the ending in the limo 'A cheesecake diet!'

And the way I think of it is as well, your going for a to spend an afternoon with one of them, who is likely to be more fun? Betty White by a mile.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    June Whitfield
    June Whitfield, no contest. IMO of course.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Betty White
    As Roy Hudd once remarked, June Whitfield's politics lie "somewhere to the right of Attila The Hun". She must have got on extremely well with Terry Scott ! A stalwart, sure, but not sure she's someone I'd like to know in real life.

Betty White on the other hand, was gloriously filthy in William Shatner's Comedy Central Roast, not something I can imagine June doing in a million years.
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Betty White. She's just brilliant - whever I see her name pop in the credits for anything as guest star (such as Boston Legal or Community, it always makes me smile)
  • Options
    Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RayRidley wrote: »
    As Roy Hudd once remarked, June Whitfield's politics lie "somewhere to the right of Attila The Hun". She must have got on extremely well with Terry Scott ! A stalwart, sure, but not sure she's someone I'd like to know in real life.

Betty White on the other hand, was gloriously filthy in William Shatner's Comedy Central Roast, not something I can imagine June doing in a million years.

Another one for Betty - Love her!!

Shatner's roast was the first thing that came to mind. And I'm sure Betty has a tale or two as well.

And Boston Legal was one of the funniest things to come out of the USA in years.
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Betty White
    I never heard of June Whitfield. Did a google search to see what she looks like & learn more about her. And I still don't recognize her or her work. Sorry June. From looking at her imdb page she had a pretty good career. But I think she's more of a UK treasure.

By default I'd have to go with Betty White. She had a long, impressive career as well, but she's also more internationally well known, currently on a hit TV series and she's great at poking fun at herself. Fun lady. :)
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I refuse to vote. they are both classic icons.

Ditto. Respect where it's due! :)
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Betty White
    One is the grand dame of British comedy, one of American comedy, so it's difficult really to compare. For my money, it's Betty White. She's played a wider range of roles (equally well) from the promiscuous and bitchy Sue-Ann Niven to completely daffy and simple-minded Rose Nylund. She's also a huge animal lover. :) I agree with the previous poster about June Whitfield's allegedly far-right politics - but in her professional work, she's been a hoot for decades.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    June Whitfield
    Don't know much of Betty White, only from The Golden Girls - when it comes to Americans, I prefer Doris Roberts. But anyway, it's June for me.
  • Options
    comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both are great.

What about British born Angela Lansbury? Just as popular as Betty White these days and a style icon.

http://www.thegentlewoman.com/
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Sorry for the bump but I was looking through the listings and see that these two are still going strong.

I saw Whitfield earlier in the year in Jonathan Creek but she's now on in the BBC show Boomers.

Betty White is on a satellite channel in a hidden camera show called Off Your Rockers.