Four in a Bed :: New Series (Part 3)

Comments

• bookboxerbookboxer Posts: 1,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »
    Tony should have stayed calm and pleasant and said that the mattress seems to have an unfortunate pattern, but he could assure the guest that it is absolutely not mouldy, however, as customer satisfaction is paramount and a good night's sleep imperative, by all means he'll have it changed so that there's absolutely no need for any concerns.

If he'd handled it like that there'd have been very little debate about it afterwards and it would've damped down the flames of the whole affair.

That's absolutely spot-on. Anybody who takes criticism as a personal insult has no place in a business where he has to deal with paying members of the public.
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,702
    Forum Member
    This week's establishments, prices taken from website guidelines as estimates depending on season and availability.

Monday 18 November 2013. Episode 36
    The Shelley Guest House, Aberystwyth
    Est price of a double with continental breakfast £56
    Anna Maria and Julian Shelley
    They have a page talking about FiaB

Tuesday
    Ixworth House, Bury St Edmunds
    Estimated price of double B&B £85/90
    Sharyn and John Snell

Wednesday
    The Georgian Town House and Mews, York
    Estimated price (booking 2 nights next June) double B&B something like £75-95?
    Graham Smith

Thursday
    The George Hotel, Orton, Cumbria
    Estimated double B&B £76
    Hazel Mcaleese
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Solar. The Ixworth looks really luxurious. The Shelley looks nice as well. Quite quirky. I see Tony posted on TA that a hate campaign has been started against him on Facebook. No surprise really. What did he expect.

Apparently he's called the police but I'm not sure they would get involved as I don't think they can arrest someone for just voicing their opinions.
    Forum Member
    I don't use FB, but have an account just to log in and read
    https://www.facebook.com/FourInABed

Looks like there might be a couple of nice places next week yes AFT, fingers crossed.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,615
    Forum Member
    Just switched on to find an old FIAB on but can't remember it at all - were there any 'baddies'?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm watching a show on TLC called Four Houses. It's the US version of May The Best House Win. Some spectacular properties on it.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but these people are contestants in a show, not bona fide guests who have done some research and booked the hotel/B&B of their own accord.

As it has been already said, it's been done quite a few times now on 4IAB. So it's more likely for 4IAB contestants on show to look rather than the bone fide guests. Garry doesn't deserve such a hard time for doing exactly the same as a precedent had been set previously on the show.

From what I've seen before the owner/s are usually very apologetic. The real problem with the mattress incident was Tony's attitude. In fact, Tony and Jeanette were far more picky when they went to the other B&Bs.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Solar. The Ixworth looks really luxurious. The Shelley looks nice as well. Quite quirky. I see Tony posted on TA that a hate campaign has been started against him on Facebook. No surprise really. What did he expect.

Apparently he's called the police but I'm not sure they would get involved as I don't think they can arrest someone for just voicing their opinions.

BIB That he says is because we won 4IAB!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MorningNo worries. It's hard when you watch later and burst to say something, doesn't make it any less valid.

Thank you SolarSail, that is nice of you to say. :) It's a shame I can't watch it daily so I could join in the thread more. It's a fun place. :)
    Forum Member
    Morning All
    ewoodie wrote: »
    BIB That he says is because we won 4IAB!
    Really?
    Well, that's one way of spinning it I suppose.
    The ridiculous thing is that (I think anyway) viewers thought they had a nice place before Tony started opening his mouth.
    As I said before, handled differently he would have come out of the mattressgate situation as a clear victor, both with Gary and with the viewers.
    Gary was infact very fair in his critiques and payments and it's true that Tony being customer facing is no asset to the business.

I imagine that if it had been approached professionally, Gary would have said, sometimes things happen, but it was handled very well indeed.
    Thank you SolarSail, that is nice of you to say. :) It's a shame I can't watch it daily so I could join in the thread more. It's a fun place. :)
    I like it - obviously :D
    It's been even better this series as lots more people seem to have been watching and joined in the thread.
  • fiveinabedfiveinabed Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daisydee wrote: »
    Just switched on to find an old FIAB on but can't remember it at all - were there any 'baddies'?

Was that the one with the other "Mattressgate" incident, where the couple refused to stay because they reckoned the room had an overpowering smell of sick - even though no-one else could smell anything, and the mattress was covered with a protector anyway? They didn't even give the hosts a chance to offer them another room, and hit them with this bombshell at the evening meal. And then added insult to injury by paying £6.20 for a £75 room, saying that it was to pay for a cleaner at a minimum wage for an hour. But all the time they kept saying that they didn't want the hosts to take offence at what they'd said. Hmmmm.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fiveinabed wrote: »
    Was that the one with the other "Mattressgate" incident, where the couple refused to stay because they reckoned the room had an overpowering smell of sick - even though no-one else could smell anything, and the mattress was covered with a protector anyway? They didn't even give the hosts a chance to offer them another room, and hit them with this bombshell at the evening meal. And then added insult to injury by paying £6.20 for a £75 room, saying that it was to pay for a cleaner at a minimum wage for an hour. But all the time they kept saying that they didn't want the hosts to take offence at what they'd said. Hmmmm.

Crikey! You've got a very good memory!! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crikey! You've got a very good memory!! :)

Not really! I was watching the repeat yesterday on 4-Seven or whatever channel it was!
    Forum Member
    Are you talking about Amanda?
    Read on from post #928
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1677281&page=38
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really! I was watching the repeat yesterday on 4-Seven or whatever channel it was!

...and there was me mightily impressed! :D

Actually, I caught a little of that show yesterday...I remember the two women when they stayed in the Yurts and refused to shower outside! (and quite honestly, I dont blame them!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you talking about Amanda?
    Read on from post #928
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1677281&page=38

Aaah the lovely Amanda - I remember her well :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amanda was indeed awful, but she was in a different set of episodes to the one with the (non) sicky mattress.
    The one I'm talking about was two ladies, one of them Lebanese.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/four-in-a-bed/episode-guide/series-4/
    Episode 29, at the Tai'r Bull, which wasn't all that "terrible" at all!
    Forum Member
    Aaah got you, yes I remember that, the two women who weren't coping with the large property and a restaurant, as one of them had been relying on family coming to help out and they weren't allowed to in the end? Is that right?

I thought it was the other week because I'd got an idea that it's only Amanda and husband who'd refused to stay in the accommodation.

What happened with the sicky wigs? did they stay elsewhere or did they change rooms? (or did they stay in the room in the end but moan about it?)
    I've forgotten.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaah got you, yes I remember that, the two women who weren't coping with the large property and a restaurant, as one of them had been relying on family coming to help out and they weren't allowed to in the end? Is that right?

I thought it was the other week because I'd got an idea that it's only Amanda and husband who'd refused to stay in the accommodation.

What happened with the sicky wigs? did they stay elsewhere or did they change rooms? (or did they stay in the room in the end but moan about it?)
    I've forgotten.

They went to another hotel, and also avoided breakfast. Their payment of £6.20 was to pay for a cleaner. According to Vinegar Veronica she wanted to be fair with them, cos she'd been into the room and used the toilet so it was only right that she paid for the room to be cleaned. What tosh.
    Forum Member
    Aaah it's come back to me now.
    The Richwood really wasn't all that was it and then when they went on to the T'air Bull, Helen was running it on her own and hadn't been doing it for too long.
    It seemed a lovely room, but there was a point that the mattress had previously been her child's.

Is that right?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaah it's come back to me now.
    The Richwood really wasn't all that was it and then when they went on to the T'air Bull, Helen was running it on her own and hadn't been doing it for too long.
    It seemed a lovely room, but there was a point that the mattress had previously been her child's.

Is that right?

Yes. And she admitted that with hindsight it would have been better to invest in a new one, but until then, she'd put a cover over it, so if Vinegar Pickles hadn't suddenly smelled sick in the room (even though she'd not smelled it earlier when she first arrived) - she wouldn't have gone peeling the cover off it. Such high standards from such a sour-faced B&B owner whose own property wasn't exactly spotless.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. And she admitted that with hindsight it would have been better to invest in a new one, but until then, she'd put a cover over it, so if Vinegar Pickles hadn't suddenly smelled sick in the room (even though she'd not smelled it earlier when she first arrived) - she wouldn't have gone peeling the cover off it. Such high standards from such a sour-faced B&B owner whose own property wasn't exactly spotless.

Helen admitted the mattress would've had urine on from when her daughter was little. That can still smell, even years later.
    We'll never know how much the rooms smelt as the "Smell-o-Vision" tests by the BBC were cancelled after that Elephant incident on Blue Peter back in the '60s.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    We'll never know how much the rooms smelt as the "Smell-o-Vision" tests by the BBC were cancelled after that Elephant incident on Blue Peter back in the '60s.:(

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did I hear correctly? Did the announcer just say we are off to sunny Spain?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did I hear correctly? Did the announcer just say we are off to sunny Spain?

I missed it. Was too busy trying to feed the cat before the show starts!
This discussion has been closed.