[US] Survivor 28: Cagayan - Brains vs Brawns vs Beauty

Comments

• dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ChipPaper wrote: »
    Jeff seems to be clueless as to what fans really want. It was his idea to bring back Philip Shepard and Brandon Hantz for Caramoan for starters. He really does have bad taste.

He also says Boston Rob is the greatest player ever :confused: Newsflash: if it takes you FOUR times to win, and casting has to fill the island with some of the worst players ever on your last go to enable you, you are not a good player. End of.

Strictly speaking, Sandra's the best player ever. 100% success rate (though it should have been Parvati who won HvV), yet Probst never seems to give props to female players as much as male players. I think Tina is the only female Probst openly praises for her game.

Yeah Jeff has always been a problem for me. He is so overt about his love of some people, yet seems to really ignore the best players. And while Rob is a bit of a favourite of mine, he really isn't a good a player as many, including Jeff, make him out to be. Not only did it take 4 times to win, that 4th time was basically handed to him.

I do feel like since he has become Executive Producer, the show really has gone pretty down-hill. I dunno if it was HvV or Nicaragua that he started, but since then it really has gone to sh*t. While I quite like how he hosts the show, he definitely seems too involved for me...
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeff must be secretly gay. That's the only explanation I can find.

I am totally expecting a blockbuster season 30. Probably an all-winner season?
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    Jeff has even said that there's a lack of memorable female players to bring back, which is why they are always male apart from when it's a whole tribe of returnees. :rolleyes:
    I'd personally say there's been plenty of memorable female players, nevermind hardly any.

I'm kind of surprised Jeff managed to get a wife. Not because of the gay rumours but if I was a woman and knew of his attitude towards female Survivors, I'd be like 'hmmmm, there's something off about this guy'.
  • ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly any memorable female players :confused:

Parvati, Cirie, Tina, Jerri (God, I hope she returns. I love her), Kim (probably one of the best first-time players, male or female), Eliza (well, I like Eliza :D), Corinne (another fave), Sandra, and that's just off the top of my head. Crystal Cox (WHY hasn't she been asked back :D entertainment goldmine), Jenna Morasca to name two more I just remembered.

Some of my favourite ever castaways are female, in fact, most of them are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am still waiting for Sabrina coming back.
  • Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    I want Kim to return so badly, even though she is one of my favourite players/winners, I think she got lucky with the people she was dealt with in one world and the stupidity of 80% of the cast.
  • dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it may be just because I typically prefer female castaways, but I find there to be far more memorable females, than males. I think I could come up with a full season with only returning females, and they'd all be different in how they play, yet all be very memorable. Whereas with the males, I could come up with a tribe, then struggle to find guys with different roles. I think males do typically fit into a mold more than the females...
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one with Kim in actually had more interesting male contestants than female.
    Forum Member
    starry wrote: »
    The one with Kim in actually had more interesting male contestants than female.

Really?

Colton is only infamously remembered for being a racist bigot

Trayzon seemed to be only remembered because of him being such a bitter bitch towards Kim and thinking he was gods gift to survivor

and the only other male I can remember is Jay and thats because he was hot

Compared to the females, we had Kat, Alicia, Christina, Sabrina and Chelsea who all are more memorable than the males.
    Forum Member
    I loved the first episode, amazing start. I think Brawn is my favourite tribe over all :D I'm glad its not just full of the typical meatheads.

I liked the positivity that was oozing from them for the first half of the show. It went slightly wrong with the Trish vs Lindsay thing and Tony kind of playing up being the bad guy, but without a little bit of tension they would probably come across boring and be ignored.
    They are certainly the tribe I'd prefer to be on right now.
    I like the Brains best but I'd be the most confident in terms of the game if I was on the Brawns.
    You can tell if a man wins the season if Jeff drools pre season how amazing it is.

Definitely.
    Plus his reaction to Marquesas (season 4) always frustrates me. He considers it one of the worst and says it never got any momentum, even though it was the first season to feature a genuine powershift where those on the bottom grouped together to take out the dominant alliance. I think it brought new life to the show (something the host should appreciate) and showed that anything's possible and things can be flipped on its head.
    But of course it has a female final 2 and Boston Rob gets dumped out pre-jury. So clearly it's awful for him. I think he just doesn't like those that made it far, but I didn't like anyone in Amazon but I can admit that it was unpredictable.

To cut him a bit of slack, he does rate Micronesia quite highly. The TC where Erik gives up immunity after being badgered by the four remaining women is apparently his fave TC ever. Though I think he'd give all the credit to Erik for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really?

Colton is only infamously remembered for being a racist bigot

Trayzon seemed to be only remembered because of him being such a bitter bitch towards Kim and thinking he was gods gift to survivor

and the only other male I can remember is Jay and thats because he was hot

Compared to the females, we had Kat, Alicia, Christina, Sabrina and Chelsea who all are more memorable than the males.

The whole story of that season was about the collapse of the men's tribe, they dominated it in that sense. Which meant that towards the end of the season I lost interest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A deluded Alicia is good for Survivor. "I am the queen of social game" WUT?

As much as I like OW, Christina please DON'T come back
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    starry wrote: »
    The whole story of that season was about the collapse of the men's tribe, they dominated it in that sense. Which meant that towards the end of the season I lost interest.

I do kind of agree with that, tbh. Most of the men were non-entities too, but I found it easier to get invested in people like Jay and Troyzan, than the majority of the women who for the most part were pretty bland or just plain irritating, or both. The only woman of note the entire season was Kim who was really impressive admittedly. And as bad as Colton was, he brought the drama for as long as he was there and kept it interesting.

I think it was more interesting watching the mens tribe implode, than the women dominate in that sense.
    Forum Member
    Episode 2 was much lower down drama wise but that might be down to the fact it was a beauty centered episode and they seemed to be the least interesting tribe, but it was nice to see the dynamics of the group.

Also love they took time to show a montage about the horrendous weather, felt very early seasons.

Not fussed on who went, I like him at first but found his attitude towards the end annoying.
    Forum Member
    A much less interesting episode, though I suppose the editing wasn't much to blame, apart from maybe Tony getting rammed down our throats with his showboating for the cameras. That's already tiring after 2 episodes, wish he'd be a bit more believable and natural with it, but then again maybe he's witnessed some of the invisible edits people have received in the past and is not allowing that to happen to him.

The main problem was probably that the Beauties tribe is soooo dull, which leaves the editors with very little to work with. I don't think Alexis, Jeremiah or Jefra ever say anything of any real value, LJ has nothing else to him apart from being an alpha male, while Morgan has glimmers of strategy every now and then.
    Though it was partly Morgan's fault for instantly dismissing Jefra's suggestion of voting out LJ. But was Jefra really going to do that anyway, I think it was just empty words, plus it's doubtful Jeremiah would go for that either.
    At least it gives me a tribe to root against now, I hope the Beauties get Pagonged as I certainly wouldn't want them making it to the latter stages. *shudder*

Brice's last words were incredibly funny, one of the best ever. lol

I hope the Brains keep pulling through as they are very rootable right now, while I hope we see more dynamics to the Brawns than just what Tony's doing or thinking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes this episode worked the least well of those so far. The strategizing seemed so rushed, I wish the editors had prepared that more in the previous episode. It ended up just being confusing as it was so accelerated. It seemed quite a risky move splitting votes to try and make a tie.

Brice was seen as a likely schemer, same as the other gay guy who got voted off. I wonder if that's partly the legacy of Colton, either in casting or perception or both.

The cop guy is getting a nice edit, so I predict he goes far. And I don't mind him.
  • KingOliKingOli Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not as great as the opening episode, partly cause it seemed like a lot of time was lost to the huge storm, bit disappointed to see the Beauties be faithful to the stereotype and wilt when things get tough.

Glad Brains finally won immunity but J'tia is just awful, I mean throwing the bucket upside down to pass water?

Brawn tribe are looking strong so far, Sarah and Tony could be a fairly formidable alliance if they stick together though Tony is already trying to manipulate her. I think he would do better just to play it straight with her, early pairings quite often end up being the dominant force in these games and he has an idol in his pocket as well, still rooting for Sarah though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the black, gay guy got booted out the hick Southerner's tribe :o Stunned. Truly.

It's a shame that the only one on Beauty with a personality had to go, and it looks like Morgan (the only half-decent girl) is on the outs too, while Alexizzzz and Jefra Bland-by-name-bland-by-nature are seemingly safe. I can only assume the reason this episode wasn't as good is due to the focus on Beauty.

Tony really needs to tone down his act too. His bits to camera seem so forced, like he's more concerned with being memorable than actually winning. He's clearly eyeing up a villain slot on the next returnees season. The thing is, he's not playing a bad game, but he seems to want to convince the audience he's playing a great game, and I aint buying it. And I hope Brawn don't throw the challenge like the preview suggested (which probably means they won't, since it was in the preview). No tribe has EVER benefitted long-term from throwing a challenge. Sure, they get rid of their intended target, then it's just downhill from there.

Didn't see much of Brains. Still like them all. J'Tia to win :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Blue Danube part had me in STITCHES. Bloody hilarious.

Sad to see Brice go. Jeremiah made a BAD decision - he could have been #1 with Brice and Morgan, but he was now stuck with #2 with LJ. Alexis and Jefra were too boring to be commented on. I like Morgan though. Fight, girl.

I can see Tony be a BIG villain for the whole season. He can surely go far but he can possibly get to the end to be shouted at by literally everyone. The way he manipulated Sarah was epic.

Hopefully the brains tribe gets a reprieve next week as well - I like Spencer, Kass and Tasha. Hopefully they keep strong.

Anyway a good ep after a stunning opener last week. This season already excelled the last two.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting abit uncomfortable with Survivor now. Being black, and gay, on that tribe Brice was always at a disadvantage. It's going to turn into a pretty dull series without Brice around - no wonder they gave him so much air time last week. So Tony is gunning for Cliff, the Beauty tribe went for Brice and the key decision-makers on Brains were gunning for J'Tia (which was fair) followed by Tasha. They might dress it up as a compliment - Brice's too smart or Cliff's too popular - but it's hard not to think that because they are both the only African-American men on an otherwise white tribe, that hasn't played a part. I say this because I also listen to RHAP who does that silly Miss Survivor thing - and black women are always voted bottom in that every year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Brice is too flamboyant. And Cliff is just a physical threat (I understand why Tony's gunning for Cliff - they are the strongest two men in the tribe.) Nothing to do with their race. Really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it was a conscious decision to get rid of the black gay guy per se, but I said, when the tribes were revealed, Brice would be the first to go when Beauty lost. Before I even saw him, his personality, anything, or anything of anyone else, bar their pictures and profiles, because in that tribe he was the proverbial sore thumb. Not to mention on a Beauty tribe there's always going to be flirting/bonding intimately/coupling off etc. Brice had no real way of forming that kind of connection.

I don't think Tony targeting Cliff or Brains targeting J'Tia is racial though. J'Tia's bat shit crazy and I think Tony wants to be the alpha-male, taking down the pro-sports-star threat that Cliff is. (And if he does, we won't hear the end of it, I'm sure.

Targetting Tasha, however, is stupid. She seems somewhat intelligent, moreso than the rest of the tribe. J'Tia to win.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tasha is targetted? Where?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I avoid preview spoilers, don't like them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrono88 wrote: »
    Tasha is targetted? Where?

Not now, not with the all-female alliance, but her and J'Tia were the targets (J'Tia moreso). I don't think it was racial, just that they were close to eachother, but not close to the Garrett-Spencer-Kass alliance, and so were the targets. That's all changed now (it seems).