Options

Masterchef 2014 - it's here

Comments

• Options
    lundolundo Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    Come on then guys, only hours now until Masterchef 2014 starts, what are we looking forward to most, the first time gregg cuts into a chocolate fondant and says 'i could wash my face in that for hours' or the first time john says 'it just needs a bit more oomph'?
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering what the 'big thing' will be this year - foams are out, pureed splats are out, little pies of offal are so last year :D

Maybe the Contestants will have been watching Great British Menu and everything will be served in a comedic disaster style. A comedy Titanic is never old :blush:
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Read in am interview with Toady that there's a new Sweet vs Savoury invention test round. Know which one Gregg will prefer!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it definitely heats again this year? I always forget who's who in the heats, and you always see someone who is really good go home cos of a strong heat, yet a weak heat sees an undeserving contestant go through.

I like the returning former contestants for part of the current contestants challenges though. Though I'd love to see someone like James Nathan or Thomasina or Shelina as a proper judge. Boot off 2 Gs Wallace and replace him with them, if they remain steadfast that only 2 judges are needed. I'd still love to see Matt Tebbutt in there. He's great on Saturday Kitchen when James is off. Think he'd be a good judge and mentor too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rumtruffle wrote: »
    Is it definitely heats again this year? I always forget who's who in the heats, and you always see someone who is really good go home cos of a strong heat, yet a weak heat sees an undeserving contestant go through.

I like the returning former contestants for part of the current contestants challenges though. Though I'd love to see someone like James Nathan or Thomasina or Shelina as a proper judge. Boot off 2 Gs Wallace and replace him with them, if they remain steadfast that only 2 judges are needed. I'd still love to see Matt Tebbutt in there. He's great on Saturday Kitchen when James is off. Think he'd be a good judge and mentor too.

The thing is, I just don't think he would work well with Torode. I think if you got rid of Wallace you'd also have to ditch Torode - maybe for James Martin (just to make sure there's still a big pudding lover on the show).
  • Options
    JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't turn on the tv without seeing James Martin recently. Personally I love Gregg and John and think the show would be nothing without them.
  • Options
    marieofromaniamarieofromania Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rumtruffle wrote: »

For some reason Jackie Kearney is one of the returnees. I remember as a very average cook, and I'm surprised they couldn't find a better former contestant to judge this year's intake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For some reason Jackie Kearney is one of the returnees. I remember as a very average cook, and I'm surprised they couldn't find a better former contestant to judge this year's intake.

She was very annoying if I remember right as well
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundo wrote: »
    She was very annoying if I remember right as well

Was she the one that went on and on about Thai food?
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't turn on the tv without seeing James Martin recently. Personally I love Gregg and John and think the show would be nothing without them.

You are so right. I used to enjoy his Saturday morning show, but now that he seems to be on about 3 hours Sat morn, similar on Sundays & again in the week, I can't be bothered to watch any of it. And am I alone in thinking he has become rather smug?

Not keen on Greg, but do like John.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See, I can't stand James Martin either! He's so arrogant to his guests at times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kaycee wrote: »
    You are so right. I used to enjoy his Saturday morning show, but now that he seems to be on about 3 hours Sat morn, similar on Sundays & again in the week, I can't be bothered to watch any of it. And am I alone in thinking he has become rather smug?

Not keen on Greg, but do like John.

I don't know though, I think over the years he has lost some of his arrogance and has become more self-deprecating, which makes him more watchable
  • Options
    Forum Member

yes that's her, she also claimed to be a brilliant veggie cook but wasn't
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Ocado wrote: »
    I would love (maybe love is too strong a word, maybe like) to see them bring back Kate Spicer to the critics round. Miss seeing her face, like someone was waving a stick of dog muck underneath her nose made me laugh.

"Each week the quarter-finalists will stand before this single guest critic (in order of appearance: William Sitwell, Charles Campion, Tracey McLeod, Jay Rayner and Kate Spicer) with one plate of their food."

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/masterchef-everything-you-need-know-6879729
  • Options
    candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am utterly miserable. Ive got no tv and no iplayer for the next couple of weeks at least and so i cant watch! :(
    Also why the Gregg bashing?? I love the cheeky chappy he brings a lot to the show!
    Leave Gregg alone!! :(��
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

O:oM:oG:o

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thai 'street' food if you please :-)

Think she ended up slicing her thumb off didn't she?
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Thai 'street' food if you please :-)

Think she ended up slicing her thumb off didn't she?

Yup, and dropped her food on the floor as well :D

Did you know she'd been to Thailand?
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now you tell me..... :)
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

prayer hands of thanks
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening all, looking forward to this years, although I watched MC Australia and loved the different rounds and ways of doing things, MCUK always seems to be the same rounds in the same orders.

But will hold my opinion until I am watching.
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah .... many happy memories on the thread thus far....

The return of Shrek & Toady to brighten up my evenings. We really should be playing Masterchef Bingo, or spot the cliché... lol

Why post watershed? Was Shrek's "Sex Face" a bit too much ??
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah .... many happy memories on the thread thus far....

The return of Shrek & Toady to brighten up my evenings. We really should be playing Masterchef Bingo, or spot the cliché... lol

Why post watershed? Was Shrek's "Sex Face" a bit too much ??

I had forgotten that!!!
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    Yes I do mean Gregg!

As far as I'm concerned he's a complete and utter waste of space on the show. He adds nothing and can be woefully ignorant of some classic dishes.

And how seriously can you take someone who can't even hold their cutlery properly as a food critic?

Sack him and give us someone like Jay Rayner!

I can't stand Jay Rayner, pompus git.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've moved this thread to our new shiny reality TV forum. Does anyone want to pick new curtains?

I'm still a little bummed out over Michel Roux Jr and Monica in Professionals but I love the show too much to strike watching it. Thank you for posting - I had no idea it was on tonight!