Is Russell Brand A Genius Or A Mouthy Fool?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
Forum Member
Is Brand hitting on subjects like a modern day genius taking on the establishment or is he merely a fool using big words to seem more then he is?
what do you guys think about his approach.
Is he a modern day genius.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get the love for him at all.
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's nothing like as clever as he wants us to think he is. Overgrown (and unwashed) schoolboy with a potty mouth.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mouthy Fool X 1000
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say he is both
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Brand hitting on subjects like a modern day genius taking on the establishment or is he merely a fool using big words to seem more then he is?

No, not a modern day genius, nor a mouthy fool, just someone who feels passionate about the waste of time that so much of 'politics' is, and how it refuses to listen to those best placed to advise on how to make real and beneficial change.

I like him, I like his passion. he doesn't always express it coherently but his heart is very solidly in the right place and his stance on addiction is the right and compassionate one.
  • PolominiPolomini Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretentious skank with an unjustified self-belief.

Other than that, he's ok...
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like him, and like Bela said, he is passionate about things. I also think he is erudite and witty. However, IMHO, he is in danger of disappearing up his own fundament. His rant calling people not to vote was HUGELY misguided and I also highly dislike his rather unpleasant dissing of Katy Perry post divorce.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member

As far as I am concerned a mouthy fool. But quite apart from that, even if I didn't think the guy a totally unfunny plonker, there is surely no reason to consider him 'a genius'. Why and on what evidence. What I will say is that he must have some ability or else his film career wouldn't have taken off, but for me the guy is pretty superfluous.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

can't he be both??
    He's carrying on the tradition of comedian as philosopher, generally found in the US rather than here.
  • Kay_PriceKay_Price Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    I really can't understand him :confused::blush: But I think he's amusing to watch all the same :p
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like him, and like Bela said, he is passionate about things. I also think he is erudite and witty. However, IMHO, he is in danger of disappearing up his own fundament. His rant calling people not to vote was HUGELY misguided and I also highly dislike his rather unpleasant dissing of Katy Perry post divorce.

He did over-stretch, for sure.

I think he needs to get out of the celebrity loop and stop compromising his sobriety.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microkorg wrote: »
    Mouthy Fool X 1000

This x 1000
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guy's a complete buffoon. He seems to have a mental age of around ten or twelve and his politics come straight from the idealistic Left end of the student union.
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    here come the Brand needs a wash brigade, yawn. I used to think he had the potential to be a real figure of substance but he had become more irritating as time has gone by, in my eyes anyway. The whole Katy Perry thing made him look silly and hypocritical, plus the Hollywood attempt. It took away all his edge. Now he is coming in thinking he will cause a UK revolution but he is out of his depth in terms of politics. Jon Snow showed how his arguments can be exposed and Brand has no solid answer, just jokes which don't cut it when you are crossing over into that arena. He tries to mix serious with joking but its irritating and this is generally his problem.

I though once that you could say he was close to genius with his comedy, he is quicker witted comic wise that anyone I have seen after Peter Cook. Now I'm not so sure, a lot of what he comes up with has no substance these days, its just talking.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a difficult one, because although he looks like somebody who should be collecting fares on the dodgems, he certainly knows how to put his extended vocabulary to good use. It's always entertaining to watch him arguing with pompous and self-important people such as politicians, because he verbally and mentally runs rings round them. He might have some rather silly ideas, but that doesn't make him any less entertaining to watch. He plays an ingenious game in those situations, because it's almost as if he's inviting his opponents to attempt to ridicule him, before drawing them in for the sucker punch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    He reminds me of a hippie student. (Nothing wrong with students I am one) but I mean the stereotypical, protesting, save the world type student. Not voting is a stupid thing to call people to do, in my opinion. Look at me I'm edgy I didn't vote.

He's very witty but the whole pretentious attitude is hard to stick.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    he's neither.

I wouldn't say he's a genius even though I enjoy his entertainment. but he's certainly no fool as he lives his life the way he wants too and is successful at doing it on both sides of the pond.

I fully understand his political idea too. but I don't think that makes him either a fool nor a genius
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    Bellagio wrote: »
    He's nothing like as clever as he wants us to think he is. Overgrown (and unwashed) schoolboy with a potty mouth.

How do you know he's unwashed?
  • Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say the balance weighs heavily towards fool.

He's someone with a degree of intelligence but who seriously overestimates it. He may have good intentions (although I disagree with a lot of his politics, which are deeply ill-informed and over simplistic), but he's hampered by his own frankly enormous ego.

So much of what he does is designed purely to make himself look "clever" and "cool". He only "debates" with relatively low-level (i.e. stupid) politicians and newscasters. Jon Snow showed him up thoroughly, and he probably wouldn't last five minutes against many senior cabinet ministers (who've got better things to do).

When it looks like he's being bested, he runs into the overcomplicated sentences and fancy words, which frequently are barely relevant to the discussion at hand and defeat the point of a fair debate. It's like winning a fencing match by running over and smacking your opponent to the ground with a baseball bat.

His long words are frequently incorrectly used as well. His speech and writing is littered with malapropisms and tautology.

I would like to see him debate with Boris, though. It would be like a live-action nonsense poem. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member

...horrible man,in dire need of a good wash..and endeavoring to emulate ricky gervais at that award ceremony was nothing short of embarrassing..my toes actually curled..
  • jioscarjioscar Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A mouthy idiot
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or is he a mouthy genius? :D

Um....I think he makes *some* valid points, but he is often more concerned with how he comes across than with what he's actually saying.
  • ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    It's a difficult one, because although he looks like somebody who should be collecting fares on the dodgems, he certainly knows how to put his extended vocabulary to good use.

It's always entertaining to watch him arguing with pompous and self-important people such as politicians, because he verbally and mentally runs rings round them. He might have some rather silly ideas, but that doesn't make him any less entertaining to watch.

He plays an ingenious game in those situations, because it's almost as if he's inviting his opponents to attempt to ridicule him, before drawing them in for the sucker punch.

Absolutely spot on, it's just a pity that IMO he comes across as a smug, charmless tool.
  • Simone17Simone17 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither. I do like him though.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These famous people should just stick to pretending to be fick and turning up to the opening of an envelope and stop having opinions and stuff, innit?