Options

Nokia Lumia 520

louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I currently have a samsung galaxy ace s5380 with o2. I am changing networks, and have found a great deal, for me as a light user, and have decided I like this nokia handset. Can anyone give me any feedback on it? Prior to the samsung, my mobile was a Nokia, and it is still working, a brilliant phone.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    It's a well made phone, feels better than it's price. WP8 works well, there are a few apps missing, but overall it's a viable alternative (and IMO, better than the average cheap Android handset).
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quality cheap phone that doesn't feel cheap, the best android equivalent would be the Moto G I think.
  • Options
    Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's a great choice of phone.

what deal did you find?
  • Options
    sirogsirog Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Nice phone and you may be surprised how much you like Windows 8.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And 8.1 when it's rolled out in the summer.
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a very good phone. The touch screen is responsive, it's speedy and has lots of features. Even the sound level is impressive from the built-in speaker. The camera is a bit dull with it's color reproduction, but you obviously won't use it for serious photos.

Someone has a good review of it on youtube here. Photo's taken with the camera are shown at 5:10 in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91z4BjTLTVo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's a great choice of phone.

what deal did you find?
    www.mobiles.co.uk. cashback by redemption. vodafone £11, 100mins, unltd texts, after redemption £5.50 or £21, 300 mins, unltd texts, 250mb data, after redemption £6.83 monthly.
    I'm a light user, so the £11 would do me but, for an extra £1.33 effectively, the data would be handy to have, just in case. 24 month contract and free phone - think I'll go for the £6.83 deal, brilliant vfm.
  • Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A thumbs up from me too, having recently used phones with windows on it, i have been very impressed. Considering it's classed as a budget phone, it certainly doesn't work like one. Very responsive and there is a very nice selection of useful apps. It also takes micro SD card for extra storage should you need it. Camera is fine for a quick snap and the screen is actually quite nice.

So i'd say go for it and that £6.83 deal looks decent too, since you have stated you are a light user, but a little extra data always comes in handy. Go ahead and grab it. :)
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The camera is actually quite poor, so that you wouldn't use it to create a permanent record of anything important to you.

The worst thing about it is the incredibly irritating Bing button which you will be continually pressing accidentally. Huge numbers of people have complained about it, but Microsoft refuse to listen to their customers, merely sending out automated replies saying that it is essential to the Windows experience. All you can do is look out for a similarly shaped plastic box, so that you can cut the corner off and fix it over the corner of the phone to disable the button.
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant little phones for the money, my parents were both after a newer/up to date phone, couldn't get them an iphone as it was out of their budgets, an Android for their budget would have been a very low end cheap plasticy thing, so opted for a WP8 phone, never used one before but had a play of my sisters Lumia 520 and we decided that it would be easy for them to use etc, so got them both the 520 and they love it.

Highly recommended.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    The worst thing about it is the incredibly irritating Bing button which you will be continually pressing accidentally.
    With a bit of practise you can avoid pressing it at all (or at least rarely). And by changing the Browser and Search setting to Bashkir you can get it to fire up Google rather than Bing.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It rarely happens to me. And it's not like your day is ruined because you accidently pressed a harmless button (thinking of Father Dougal on a plane here :D )
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pressed it a few times when setting up my dad's phone but as said all it takes is a press of the back button to get rid of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fortunately, I haven't signed up to this, what seems like an excellent, deal. This morning, Don't Get Done Get Dom, is showcasing the issue a family had with being charged for a phone, which was not delivered, by mobiles.co.uk, who threatened to call in the bailiffs! I need to feel comfortable that, should any problems arise, they will be sorted out. I know this is only one case but, as with another company, one is enough to cast doubt, and make one reconsider.