Bob Larby dies.

valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
Forum Member
✭✭
Bob Larby has died aged 79, the name didn't mean much to me but he was the writer of The Good Life, Ever Decreasing Circles, Please Sir, Brush Strokes, A Fine Romance and many others. Some of the best and funniest sit coms, there doesn't seem to be anyone nowadays with his talent. R.I.P.

Comments

• kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He wrote some of the best comedy shows ever. RIP Bob
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A comedy writing genius. Very sad to hear of his passing.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »

we can forget the awful please sir though, evertone is allowed to err ocassionaly .
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    we can forget the awful please sir though, evertone is allowed to err ocassionaly .

Please Sir has its fans-me for a start :) -though I was under ten and maybe that says something.

Particularly fond of the film version which kind of sums up a particular era, and my childhood to an extent-the scene where Erics Mum cooks everyone egg and chips is just so seventies. Seemingly everyones mum cooked egg and chips. A few dodgy scenes by todays standards but it was very much of its time and reflected the time.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    A comedy writing genius. Very sad to hear of his passing.

He certainly was and 79 is a grand age to reach.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading the BBC report it appears the show was first pitched to BBC and they turned it down. They also turned On the Buses down which went onto to be a huge success over 6 years or so. It does appear the Beeb were not exactly clued up when it came to spotting ratings hits.
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Please Sir has its fans-me for a start :) -though I was under ten and maybe that says something.

Particularly fond of the film version which kind of sums up a particular era, and my childhood to an extent-the scene where Erics Mum cooks everyone egg and chips is just so seventies. Seemingly everyones mum cooked egg and chips. A few dodgy scenes by todays standards but it was very much of its time and reflected the time.

Very sad to hear of Mr Larbys passing.

That film always reminds me of the school trip we made as 5th formers back in 73. We spent a week up in Derbyshire and during one outing to a small village a few of us were caught having a pint in the local pub.
  • hopwoodlhopwoodl Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ever Decreasing Circles is my favourite ever sitcom. Just brilliant
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,600
    Forum Member
    On the buses was awful even at the time. I remember all the kids coming in to school on a monday morning talking about the episode the night before. I was always amazed at how hilarious they found it when none of us in my family really did. It had a cult following, bit like the young ones or not the nine o'clock news years later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    On the buses was awful even at the time. I remember all the kids coming in to school on a monday morning talking about the episode the night before. I was always amazed at how hilarious they found it when none of us in my family really did. It had a cult following, bit like the young ones or not the nine o'clock news years later.

Depends on how you define cult. Young Ones had a keen audience but not a massive one by the standards of the time. On the Buses was a national favourite and had huge audiences, regularly number one in the ratings during most of its series.

OtB isn't going to win any best ever comedy awards but its popularity should not be underestimated.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad news. His writing gave me many hours of great viewing. His solo work on A Fine Romance and Mulberry particularly stick out for me. Beautifully written and cast, with a lot of heart. And of course there was The Good Life, Ever Decreasing Circles, Brush Strokes, etc. By all accounts a lovely man too, so respect and RIP, Mr Larbey.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »

He did indeed.

RIP Bob
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    Ever decreasing circles is my favourite.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was thinking recently how an as time goes by special would be nice for a comeback at christmas and wondered if the writer was still alive, very sad loss, i wish they made comedy like they use to, no swearing, vulgarity, solid strong scripts that were funny no cheap gags or filler.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hopwoodl wrote: »
    Ever Decreasing Circles is my favourite ever sitcom. Just brilliant

Sublime.:)
  • Jimmy_CarterJimmy_Carter Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sublime.:)

Agreed. And Brush Strokes is also one of my all time favorites, I'm just working my way through the boxset as I hadn't seen it for years as it has not been repeated for a long time... luckily for those who haven't got the DVDs, the series is starting from the beginning on Drama from Monday at 7pm.
  • C HorseC Horse Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His name was Bob Larbey ... with an "E"!!

The reason that I remember it well, was in the opening scenes from The Good Life where the bee flew around the writers' credits ... Esmonde seemed to have an extra "E" too!

If I had been those two, I'd have quit at The Good Life - probably the best sitcom ever.

However, they went on to produce many, many other fine programmes.

Best wishes to his family and the others he has left behind