Options

Big Allotment Challenge BBC2

Comments

• Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it and thought Fern was a good host. I'm an avid gardener but know nothing about growing fruit or vegetables and even less about making things with/ from them :D
    I would have preferred a League Table Format but will continue to watch it each week. The correct 2 went this week I thought.
    League Table would have been best - for the Couple to work on their plot for 15 weeks, to then be out in the first round with poor Jam and Flower Arranging...seems wrong to me.
    They may have the best Runner Beans or Tomato's, we'll never know.

Liked the Judges - and Fern was OK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with a league table idea - seems a shame to put all that work in and not show the rest of what they did.

I love the name Thane (added to baby names list)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    I wonder what happens to the allotments as the contestants get kicked out. Do they get left to become overrun with weeds? :-(
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gawd could this programme be any duller. *yawnsmiley*
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont think there will be a series 2 if you are a gardener it is infantile and if your not you must be very bored to watch it
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gah, haven't watched the new episode yet but clicked on the iplayer link to find out more about each couple and inadvertently found out who has been voted off this week. Bloomin' 'ell BBC :mad:
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Camino wrote: »
    i dont think there will be a series 2 if you are a gardener it is infantile and if your not you must be very bored to watch it

I'm just starting to get into gardening so I'm enjoying it.
  • Options
    JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying it
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Camino wrote: »

I'm a gardener and excel at home produce, I'm far from infantile and am enjoying the show.
  • Options
    fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed this week more than last (have got over my annoyance of the perfect plots at the start).

So how are you supposed to grow straight beans? I would have liked the expert-man to tell us. Are they like cucumbers, in that they mustn't touch anything or they bend away? I'm off to buy some Lady Di bean seeds today (but I won't worry if they are not straight).

Overall this is an enjoyable show, but I think we are missing out on the expertise of two of the judges. We get to see the flower man make something wonderful, but we don't really hear words of advice from RHS Expert Man.

Thane's job last week looked great - tasting 18 jams is a great way to earn a living. But not this week. 16 strong relishes in one sitting - yuk.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    fern3 wrote: »
    I enjoyed this week more than last (have got over my annoyance of the perfect plots at the start).

So how are you supposed to grow straight beans? I would have liked the expert-man to tell us. Are they like cucumbers, in that they mustn't touch anything or they bend away? I'm off to buy some Lady Di bean seeds today (but I won't worry if they are not straight).

Overall this is an enjoyable show, but I think we are missing out on the expertise of two of the judges. We get to see the flower man make something wonderful, but we don't really hear words of advice from RHS Expert Man.

Thane's job last week looked great - tasting 18 jams is a great way to earn a living. But not this week. 16 strong relishes in one sitting - yuk.
    Also remove the remnants of the flower from each bean as this could induce curling. As the beans grow remove any leaf they may touch or rub against. We want them to grow as straight as possible.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable-show/cultivating-runner-beans-show.php
  • Options
    spacebardspacebard Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying this show, although I agree with others that a league table format would be much more interesting than seeing one pair ditched every week. The scores for each task could be ranked, with a bonus added for a Best In Show award. The finale could add scores for the overall allotment (perhaps from an additional expert panel), allotment management skills and perhaps a knowledge-based quiz, so the result wouldn't be completely obvious.

I'm drawn to the beardies and rooting against the two churchgoing W.I. types, for no logical reason. However, I think the mother/daughter combo will win it.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of it is as interesting as watching a carrot grow. I think the Chinese mother and daughter will win.

Can't be doing with all the hugging and sad faces as people leave. Seems to be the way of the world now.
  • Options
    EmmsEmms Posts: 866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm quite enjoying it, although it does seem to be throwing a bit of everything into the pot . It's more like an old fashioned village fete than an allotment challenge, with the categories for biggest vegetable, best floral arrangement and a couple of jars of Mrs Jones's best chutney :D

I've always rather fancied the idea of having an allotment and growing my own produce, but I know that the reality is that I wouldn't be prepared to spend hours digging and weeding, so I'm wise enough to stick to a few tomatoes and beans in gro-bags on the patio. I have fond memories of going with my Dad to his on a Sunday morning in my childhood though, which this show is bringing back.

I have some doubt as to whether it will be recommissioned, as I'm not convinced it will capture people in the same way as the Bake Off or the Sewing Bee, which begs the question when will they decide, and will there be a selection of new contestants left to abandon their allotments half way through, since I assume they must have started to cultivate them by now?
  • Options
    Hershey2Hershey2 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have tried to 'get into this' show, but am struggling.

The only part I really like is the flower arrangement section.
  • Options
    JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this tonight :)
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Hershey2 wrote: »
    I have tried to 'get into this' show, but am struggling.

The only part I really like is the flower arrangement section.

I'm struggling as well, I think, in part, it's down to the interaction between the judges and also between contestants. With GBBO and GBSB (*sigh* Patrick, how I miss you and your immaculate suits), the judges work as a team - chatting together, disagreeing/agreeing, on this, one person judges and the other two just stand there, looking slightly awkward, not saying anything, and with people competing as pairs there's very little interaction seen between the various contestants outside their own pairs.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really enjoying this...Sunflowers tonight, one of my favourites in my garden!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one watching?

Sure they just had a shot of a plot full of bolted lettuce!
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one watching?

Sure they just had a shot of a plot full of bolted lettuce!

I've got it on in the background while I'm knitting ...... The knitting is far more interesting!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I've got it on in the background while I'm knitting ...... The knitting is far more interesting!:D

Clever you...I'm useless at knitting..:(
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very passionate winner of the topiary test....
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm struggling as well, I think, in part, it's down to the interaction between the judges and also between contestants. With GBBO and GBSB (*sigh* Patrick, how I miss you and your immaculate suits), the judges work as a team - chatting together, disagreeing/agreeing, on this, one person judges and the other two just stand there, looking slightly awkward, not saying anything, and with people competing as pairs there's very little interaction seen between the various contestants outside their own pairs.

I think the success of a show like this is shown in whether someone like me (not a baker, sewer, hairdresser or gardener) is interested in it. I love watching GBBO, GBSB and Hair due to the sheer creativity of what they achieve, but although I am really trying to get into this, mainly because I like food and Fern Brittan as a presenter but to be honest Im only watching it because nothing else is on until BBC4 at 9
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Very passionate winner of the topiary test....

Yes the work bench took a pounding there!
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    I get the impression that the show veg judge doesn't like the beardy blokes (can't remember their names, but I hope they win!)

This is our first year of gardening, and we've got courgettes, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, chard, kale, lettuce, parsnips and potatoes in (the potatoes made an appearance today!) Only one of the 30 dwarf runner beans I planted have come through though :(