change number on skytalk

Hi all

PLEASE can someone help me

We moved into our new house last year and inherited the previous occupants number, and since moving in have had NOTHING but regular phonecalls for the previous owners but not only that, they know our address as well. so We want our number changing due to these nuscense calls, but sky talk seem unwilling to change it for us.. Is there anyone on here that works for sky that can PLEASE help me as otherwise we will just have to leave and go back to BT which will be a pain in the back side to be honest...

Thanks

Jon

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who are you calling at Sky? They should have a department for nuisance and abusive calls who should be able to offer more help than the standard customer services people. You should be able to find the number online or it may be in any paperwork you have from Sky.

That would be my first port of call anyway. But remember always be reasonable with them. Shouting and screaming down the phone will get you nowhere. if the operator you speak to doesn't seem co-operative ask to speak to someone higher up the food chain, a supervisor or manager.

Sometimes the threat to go elsewhere for your service can have a magical effect and make them more co-operative.

You can also find lots of info on the Ofcom website about how to go about complaining about this kind of thing.

Are these calls from marketing or sales people? If so and they are UK based they are legally obliged to remove your number from their systems if asked. Calls chasing up debts etc may not be covered by the same legislation as would calls from individuals calling on a personal basis.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Hi again

Thanks for your reply...

The calls are from Sales/Marketing and include some international, asking for the previous occupants (who lived at this address for 18 years) and are able to quote our address at us as well!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS went offline just as I tried to reply earlier....

As they are sales calls you have two options, for the UK ones anyway (including the overseas ones making calls on behalf of a UK based company)

They are legally required to remove your number from their database if you ask them. Though it may take an e-mail or letter to get this done. But they should give you the name of the person you need to contact about this if you ask. That is if they follow the rules! More info here..

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public/topic_specific_guides/marketing_calls.aspx

Follow the links on that page for all the details.

Alternatively you can register with TPS (free). Though this takes 28 days to become fully effective. Again it is a legal requirement that all UK firms making sales calls filter their databases through the TPS list. The problem you may have is that the companies involved have the number down as a previous customer, which is one of the loopholes in the TPS service. Anyway can do no harm. I registered and it killed all this kind of garbage stone dead.

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/
    Forum Member
    Hi again

we are already in the TPS and have gone down all those routes, the problem is that the previous occupants werent in the TPS and so it seems 100's of companies have their details with our home number and address and this is why we want to change our telephone number....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shabbaf13 wrote: »
    Hi again

we are already in the TPS and have gone down all those routes, the problem is that the previous occupants werent in the TPS and so it seems 100's of companies have their details with our home number and address and this is why we want to change our telephone number....
    That is one of the downsides of TPS. They only seem to use the number. As i said above if the company involved has you down as a previous customer then they can ignore TPS.

However they cannot ignore a formal request to remove your number from their database. Whether you are TPS registered or not, whether they have your number down as a previous customer or not makes no difference. As the ICO link explains that is a legal obligation they have.

The only pain in the wotsits is the amount of time and effort needed to track these people down and make the request.
    Forum Member
    yeah this is why we just want sky to change our home phone number!!! I dont get whats so difficult about it and why they are unwilling to do it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah this is why we just want sky to change our home phone number!!! I dont get whats so difficult about it and why they are unwilling to do it
    Have you tried to talk to someone higher up in Sky, rather than the muppet who answers customer services or whatever number you have been using. Getting a manager or supervisor involved is often an incentive to get something done.

I take it you have tried this...

http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/skyproducts/skytalk/codesofpractice/complaints

The only other alternative I can suggest is something like this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TrueCall-The-Nuisance-Call-Blocker/dp/B002GP7HQM

Plug that into your phone line and leave a suitable message for all the annoying so and so's who are trying to talk to the previous occupant and politely tell them to go forth and multiply :D

Seems silly though that you should have to spend cash to do something that Sky ought to be able to deal with fairly easily.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are getting calls for the previous owner of the number you have taken over it is not really the fault of the companys you are getting calls from.
    As far as they are concerned they are chasing the previous customer.

The only way out is to contact sky and ask for a change of number.

Not sure what sky do but I know that BT will change a phone number free of charge for this situation.
    Forum Member
    well i've tried to call them again today and request a renumber again.. I have been told my request has been put through to the Customer Care Relations team but if all I end up with again is another letter telling me to go ex-directory or sign up to the TPS I am going to go nuts..
    Forum Member
    Just to update this thread

I got a phonecall from someone high up at sky on monday who changed my number then and there, but its a strange 0113 8080 etc number, does anyone know if this is just a virtual number placed on my line, seems odd that he could change my number so quickly, not that i am complaining....
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to update this thread

I got a phonecall from someone high up at sky on monday who changed my number then and there, but its a strange 0113 8080 etc number, does anyone know if this is just a virtual number placed on my line, seems odd that he could change my number so quickly, not that i am complaining....

From checking here, http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm , it looks like you are on a Sky fully unbundled line as the number range is allocated to Easynet and not Openreach.